LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 432 users in the forums

Serious reservations about the playcalling

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Mex49
Originally posted by boast:
Originally posted by Mex49:
Originally posted by dj43:
Pre-season games serve one primary purpose: look at certain players in specific situations in order to make roster decisions and prioritize depth. Other than that, coached keep the majority of the offensive and defensive schemes in the locker room.

Manusky opened up the book a little bit on blitz packages but DL stunts have been very basic and coverages have also been basic. Raye has done much the same thing.

That having been said, the breakdowns in the secondary against Oakland will almost certainly be addressed Thursday. I also expect to see Crabtree and Davis run some deeper routes just to shake the rust loose. Other than that, we will have to wait until 9/12.

When you are playing your 1st string well into the 3rd qtr, you are not looking at roster decisions- this is a f**king warm up for the real deal. our coaches are 8-8, and our players are 8-8 until proven otherwise, it is time to get the kinks out. The fact that we might give a secret away to a team we play months from now away is ridiculous.

I dont feel anymore confident playing the Packers after watching them light up Indy, what secrets of theirs did we learn as we watched them open it up?

the fact that you just don't get this is ridiculous.

So i guess by your thinking we wont see the run up the middle this season since we used it ten times Saturday night? No team will see that coming
  • dj43
Pre-season games serve one primary purpose: look at certain players in specific situations in order to make roster decisions and prioritize depth. Other than that, coached keep the majority of the offensive and defensive schemes in the locker room.

Manusky opened up the book a little bit on blitz packages but DL stunts have been very basic and coverages have also been basic. Raye has done much the same thing.

That having been said, the breakdowns in the secondary against Oakland will almost certainly be addressed Thursday. I also expect to see Crabtree and Davis run some deeper routes just to shake the rust loose. Other than that, we will have to wait until 9/12.

When you are playing your 1st string well into the 3rd qtr, you are not looking at roster decisions- this is a f**king warm up for the real deal. our coaches are 8-8, and our players are 8-8 until proven otherwise, it is time to get the kinks out. The fact that we might give a secret away to a team we play months from now away is ridiculous.

I dont feel anymore confident playing the Packers after watching them light up Indy, what secrets of theirs did we learn as we watched them open it up?

So i guess by your thinking we wont see the run up the middle this season since we used it ten times Saturday night? No team will see that coming
Right now the most important goal for this team to reach if they are to have success in the regular season is for Iupati and Davis and Bass to learn to play with Rachal and Staley and learn to read each other and to make all the blocking adjustments necessary to both run up the middle and to the outside and to pass block. THAT is why we saw the 1st string so much. It is all about the OL. That was the big problem last season as we all know, and why the team drafted the way they did. Hence, as I said above, it is about looking at certain players in certain situations, and right now, that involves players who are projected to be starters, not backups.

You can bet that right now the staff already has 50 of the 53 names that will be on the final roster. They don't need to see anything more from them. The only remaining decisions will be about who will be able to sneak though waivers and land on the practice squad and who will not and thus be retained in the 53.

This final game will continue to look at the rookie OL and those final 6-8 guys who are potentially PS players or roster backups. Hence, we can expect to see nothing dynamic in playcalling. For me, however, I will be very concerned about how much the passing offense will be opened up in the regular season now that the WR corps has seen some upgrades.
A prime example of why they should shorten the preseason, idiotic posts.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by Youngone:
You guys are crazy if you think that the coaches will show off their full playbook to a team that we play in Week 6. Why would we give them that kind of film to study? Think about that before you assume the vanilla argument is not appropriate.

I thought the play book was like 800 pages. Doubt we could use the whole book and give up all our secrets. Stop repeating sound bites you haven't actually thought about.

We had a 2-1 a 3-1 and 4-1.

Jimmy Raye 49er Playbook:

Page 1, paragraph 1, sentence 1: Run ball up middle.

we can run up the middle fine (see Gore/Westy) when Dixon isn't dancing behind the line.

Lets not confuse Gore's amazing ability with the playcalling of Jimmy Raye.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
You guys are crazy if you think that the coaches will show off their full playbook to a team that we play in Week 6. Why would we give them that kind of film to study? Think about that before you assume the vanilla argument is not appropriate.

I thought the play book was like 800 pages. Doubt we could use the whole book and give up all our secrets. Stop repeating sound bites you haven't actually thought about.

we can run up the middle fine (see Gore/Westy) when Dixon isn't dancing behind the line.

that amazing ability is the number one reason why we do run up the middle.
  • Mex49

Right now the most important goal for this team to reach if they are to have success in the regular season is for Iupati and Davis and Bass to learn to play with Rachal and Staley and learn to read each other and to make all the blocking adjustments necessary to both run up the middle and to the outside and to pass block. THAT is why we saw the 1st string so much. It is all about the OL. That was the big problem last season as we all know, and why the team drafted the way they did. Hence, as I said above, it is about looking at certain players in certain situations, and right now, that involves players who are projected to be starters, not backups.

You can bet that right now the staff already has 50 of the 53 names that will be on the final roster. They don't need to see anything more from them. The only remaining decisions will be about who will be able to sneak though waivers and land on the practice squad and who will not and thus be retained in the 53.

This final game will continue to look at the rookie OL and those final 6-8 guys who are potentially PS players or roster backups. Hence, we can expect to see nothing dynamic in playcalling. For me, however, I will be very concerned about how much the passing offense will be opened up in the regular season now that the WR corps has seen some upgrades.

I understand all of that, and it has nothing to do with playcalling.
  • Mex49

If that's Jimmy's best play, maybe we shouldn't run it in the preseason? Now Seatle knows
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

If that's Jimmy's best play, maybe we shouldn't run it in the preseason? Now Seatle knows

are you ever going to stop being negative nancy? throughout the entire Oakland game, you couldn't say one good thing about the Niners in the gameday thread. maybe you should consider becoming a fan of another team if you are so troubled by what the Niners are doing in preseason.
Originally posted by kray28:
I watched/taped the game last night on NFL Network....and I think that Jimmy Raye's playcalling has not improved at all. It's going to continue to be a wet blanket that will hamper this team's progress through the season.

And I think that's a shame...because I saw our starters make some pretty impressive plays out there. They're basically going to have to fight not only with their opponent, but Raye's garbage playcalling.

How many more 3rd and long draws are we going to see, even if it's Brian Westbrook with the ball now? Eventually, even the quality of your personnel cannot cover up the stench of crappy playcalling. The calls have no rhythm, no cadence. No sense of balance, and no serious read of the defense.

1. Preseason
2. We see the Raiders for a real game in a few months.
3. Preaseason
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
9ers vs Oak

32 runs 32 passes

seems like a balanced attack

waaaater sucks it really really sucks

Yes. We should sit there and delay of game penalties all the way. Think about the possession time!

Not showing plays

-9fA
  • dj43

It does if your focus is on recognizing defenses, timing of traps and double teams, passing off defenders to pick up blitzes and the like. So much of these basics that never show up on the stat sheet are all about gaining the understanding between players that is only achieved by repetition.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT a fan of a power running game. I have stated that opinion many times in the past. However, ALL teams must be able to have a power running game at times, and that game depends on a lot of reps to make it work when the games count. The timing of blocks on running plays is absolutely CRITICAL, though overlooked by many fans.
  • Mex49

are you ever going to stop being negative nancy? throughout the entire Oakland game, you couldn't say one good thing about the Niners in the gameday thread. maybe you should consider becoming a fan of another team if you are so troubled by what the Niners are doing in preseason.

Mex49

Veteran

Reply 872 of 2247 Aug 28, 2010 at 18:10:04
I love this team
QuoteEdit
IP: Logged Browser: Logged
Lots of panties
Lots of twists
  • Mex49

It does if your focus is on recognizing defenses, timing of traps and double teams, passing off defenders to pick up blitzes and the like. So much of these basics that never show up on the stat sheet are all about gaining the understanding between players that is only achieved by repetition.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT a fan of a power running game. I have stated that opinion many times in the past. However, ALL teams must be able to have a power running game at times, and that game depends on a lot of reps to make it work when the games count. The timing of blocks on running plays is absolutely CRITICAL, though overlooked by many fans.

ALL plays need practice. Why are they blitzing Willis in preseason? Can anyone answer me that? No need to show the league that- right?
Share 49ersWebzone