LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 223 users in the forums

Put Nate Davis on the practice squad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by joebbadass:
We can dog pile on Nate Davis all we want for his lack of work ethic, but his natural skills and past successes cannot be denied. He will be gone in an instant if the 9ers try to put him on the practice squad. Our hot and cold emotions with respect to his performance show how fickle we are as fans.

Poor work ethic will scare away any team desperate enough to add him to the 53 man roster. Talented or not, no one wants a lazy ass, i.e. Jamarcus Russel.
  • dj43
Once again Davis showed that when the team is not lined up properly, or when the defense is set in a way that would negate the play call, he is helpless. He does not yet know enough to be able to adjust to anything outside the pre-call.

So Singletary will have to decide if another full year is what it will take, or if he will ever get it. Right now, Davis definitely has not earned a spot on the 53.

My prediction is that they will be able to get him back on the practice squad. Other teams will review his pre-season efforts and pass on him.
So I guess Davis doesn't deserve the 6-year development program.

Even David Carr admitted it took him 6 years to understand the work ethic to be an NFL QB.

Its funny that Davis gets criticized in the media but Crabtree gets coddled by Singletary.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Even David Carr admitted it took him 6 years to understand the work ethic to be an NFL QB.

Its funny that Davis gets criticized in the media but Crabtree gets coddled by Singletary.

I think the big thing with Singletary is preparation, and its pretty obvious that Davis isn't prepared. I still think Singletary keeps Davis, only because what 3rd string qb garners this much attention from the head coach?

It's probably buggin him that everyone keeps askin why Davis isn't starting or whatever. Singletary just wants Davis to be prepared to take over when needed.
He is headed to the PS (if he clears waivers and I think he will)
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Nate Davis was a 5th round pick. Unlike first rounders, he has to earn his place on the roster each year. There is no point in comparing the treatment of a 5th round QB to a first round WR.
I think we will end up keeping Nate, I think Sing is sending him a message now though, that he better be more committed this year and in the offseason if he wants play for the 49ers in the future.
Originally posted by fryet:
Nate Davis was a 5th round pick. Unlike first rounders, he has to earn his place on the roster each year. There is no point in comparing the treatment of a 5th round QB to a first round WR.

So then explain Singletary's criticism of Vernon back in 08 or his handling of Balmer.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
I think we will end up keeping Nate, I think Sing is sending him a message now though, that he better be more committed this year and in the offseason if he wants play for the 49ers in the future.

I don't think so. I think he's gone. Pissed Sing off too much.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by valrod33:

I don't think so. I think he's gone. Pissed Sing off too much.

No way. I think he's right, it's a message.

Originally posted by NinerMD:
Yeah, hell NO to Davis on the PS. I say cut Carr, waive the other kid, start Smith leave Davis as the backup and let Robinson be the #3 QB and save a roster spot that way.

We don't need a #3 QB. If Smith AND Davis both get injured in the same game, then we're screwed anyway.

Carr is trash and the other kid hasn't even got on the field.

Our season rides on Smiths shoulders, (no pun intended) and Davis is our only option after that.

Bet big, win big...

Where you watching the same game as me yesterday? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like you are just echoing the coaching staff--whose comments two games ago totally surprised everybody. Yesterday, Nate Davis' "struggles" were due more to his struggling receivers (e.g. at least 5 drops, and the INTs). He hung in their with them and in the 4th quarter, when it mattered most, he came through. Why would you want to cut this kid? Over knuckleball Carr? Gimme a break.
Originally posted by ninerlegacy:
Originally posted by NinerMD:
Yeah, hell NO to Davis on the PS. I say cut Carr, waive the other kid, start Smith leave Davis as the backup and let Robinson be the #3 QB and save a roster spot that way.

We don't need a #3 QB. If Smith AND Davis both get injured in the same game, then we're screwed anyway.

Carr is trash and the other kid hasn't even got on the field.

Our season rides on Smiths shoulders, (no pun intended) and Davis is our only option after that.

Bet big, win big...

Where you watching the same game as me yesterday? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like you are just echoing the coaching staff--whose comments two games ago totally surprised everybody. Yesterday, Nate Davis' "struggles" were due more to his struggling receivers (e.g. at least 5 drops, and the INTs). He hung in their with them and in the 4th quarter, when it mattered most, he came through. Why would you want to cut this kid? Over knuckleball Carr? Gimme a break.

He has been banned, you wont get a response back
Originally posted by dj43:
Once again Davis showed that when the team is not lined up properly, or when the defense is set in a way that would negate the play call, he is helpless. He does not yet know enough to be able to adjust to anything outside the pre-call.

So Singletary will have to decide if another full year is what it will take, or if he will ever get it. Right now, Davis definitely has not earned a spot on the 53.

My prediction is that they will be able to get him back on the practice squad. Other teams will review his pre-season efforts and pass on him.

I like Davis and was pulling for him, but I agree with this statement. It was pretty damn evident that Singletary was irritated when he did that. I have a hard time believing Sing will keep him, but we will find out how much he is willing to let players get away with BS like this after the cuts. He has openly called Davis out about his work ethic and Davis' play, or lack-there-of, is supporting Sing's point.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

You are absolutely right, Davis doesn't deserve the 6-year development plan if he doesn't keep his end of the bargain. I have no idea what his commentment and work ethic is, so i'll leave it to the coaches to decide on.

Seriously... World is not so simplistic, one truth regardless of surroundings does not hold true for all circumstances.
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Seriously... World is not so simplistic, one truth regardless of surroundings does not hold true for all circumstances.

Is that statement true irregardless of all circumstances?
Share 49ersWebzone