LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Put Nate Davis on the practice squad

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Nate would be a good fit with da raidahs. Wonder what he'd be worth in a trade?

It's actually true. Al Davis has a hard on for Qb's who have great arms and 2 cent heads.
  • dj43
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
he would get snatched i think. but like some have said. alex learned most of the systems, enough to atleast function even when it was changed on him every year. this dude was in the same offense two years and hes still lost and having to improv all day. his tools are worth developing but he needs to get a better work ethic if hes gonna stick around on singletarys team.

Totally untrue. Alex did not know the playbook last year which is the reason why he often rolled right. It is the reason why his college coach said that it would take time for Alex to grasp the playbook and become completely functional.

The double standard here is rediculous as Alex's challenges to learn the playbook is very well doccumented. Moreover, Davis has had very little time actually playing qb as he spent the majority of his time being a DB during practice. Never the less, it amazes me that some folks will make a quantum leap to conclude that he does not know any plays.
I can't speak for anyone else but I recall the coaches saying that Davis had only about 6 plays at the end of TC last year. Singletary also said he was FAR from ready to play now.

Off season is when players learn the playbook. TC and PS are when they begin to get the timing down. However, if a player doesn't know the plays, it does no good to put him in the mix to get the timing down on a play he doesn't know.

Now compare that straight across the board to Alex Smith and you will find that BOTH players have had the same amount of time to learn Jimmy Raye's offense. Smith has it. Davis doesn't.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheAcpHater:

It's actually true. Al Davis has a hard on for Qb's who have great arms and 2 cent heads.

Yeah I agree, and you must have a hard *n for haters

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by TheRomperRoom:
Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Originally posted by fryet:
This is assuming he is still eligible (I don't know what the rules are). After a full season of work, he still doesn't know the entire playbook. Singletary publicly gave a poor assessment of his play. I don't think any other team would put him on their 53 man roster, knowing that he won't be able to play for them at all in 2010.

By doing so, it will allow the 49ers to keep another player around that is more likely to contribute to the 2010 season like Curtis Taylor.

Wow - I do hope you are kidding.
I wish the webzone had a practice squad to put you on....

Yeah I guess you quickly have forgotten singletary's motivational methods. Do Do Do Marijuana effects the memory... Does the Vernon Davis situation ring a bell or are you deaf??

Who listens to the voice of reason here?

Strong, first post by Romper.

Clever. I'm going to have to agree.
[ Edited by TheVoiceOfReason on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:40 PM ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

Originally posted by fryet:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Did OP bump his head? Nate has skills he has shown and would get snapped up in an instant.

Sure Nate has some skills, but he has also shown that his learning disability is a severe disadvantage (which is what caused him to drop in the draft in the first place). On multiple times in the season, the coaches said that he is not progressing as fast as they want. Now imagine Nate going to a new team and having to learn everything again from scratch. He may not even accept an offer from another team, because it will set him back 2 years. And how many teams want to wait 2 years before a vet QB is ready to play a game for them?

Do you think that our team has shown the ability to teach QB's to be great?? I don't see the organization as being very QB friendly and if he went to a team with better coaching he would excell. He has the tools, the ability, and then some.

This is his second year in the league and he has spent most of his time playing DB on the scout team. How did anyone expect him to learn so quickly? It isn't like he has been getting reps in practice. Alex Smith had first team reps for a LONG time which is the big difference. I still believe Nate has more upside. If Nate was given the same opportunity that was afforded Smith I believe you see a better QB.

I guess you like that idea, eh? haha

I would love to see Nate playing for us, but if he doesn't have the discipline or ability to do the necessary work to learn the offense he won't ever be a starter for Mike Singletary. It's that simple.

No doubt he will be better prepared next year. The question is, will he or can he get well enough prepared to be a starter.

Originally posted by dj43:
he would get snatched i think. but like some have said. alex learned most of the systems, enough to atleast function even when it was changed on him every year. this dude was in the same offense two years and hes still lost and having to improv all day. his tools are worth developing but he needs to get a better work ethic if hes gonna stick around on singletarys team.

Totally untrue. Alex did not know the playbook last year which is the reason why he often rolled right. It is the reason why his college coach said that it would take time for Alex to grasp the playbook and become completely functional.

The double standard here is rediculous as Alex's challenges to learn the playbook is very well doccumented. Moreover, Davis has had very little time actually playing qb as he spent the majority of his time being a DB during practice. Never the less, it amazes me that some folks will make a quantum leap to conclude that he does not know any plays.
I can't speak for anyone else but I recall the coaches saying that Davis had only about 6 plays at the end of TC last year. Singletary also said he was FAR from ready to play now.

Off season is when players learn the playbook. TC and PS are when they begin to get the timing down. However, if a player doesn't know the plays, it does no good to put him in the mix to get the timing down on a play he doesn't know.

Now compare that straight across the board to Alex Smith and you will find that BOTH players have had the same amount of time to learn Jimmy Raye's offense. Smith has it. Davis doesn't.

Come on DJ...I know that you are much brighter than to suggest that one player who has had either first or second string reps in an offense + 10 games as a starter does not have an advantage over another player who has gotten maybe 5% of the reps? I guarantee you that if it was the other way around that Nate would know the playbook better than Alex.

I guess you like that idea, eh? haha

I would love to see Nate playing for us, but if he doesn't have the discipline or ability to do the necessary work to learn the offense he won't ever be a starter for Mike Singletary. It's that simple.

No doubt he will be better prepared next year. The question is, will he or can he get well enough prepared to be a starter.

As it stands, Alex will be gone before Nate. Alex is in the last year of his contract and if he does not produce, he is gone; while Nate is still under contract. But I agree with you, he must be more deligent to lead this team.

I for one hope we cut Nate Davis before we ruin his career like we did Jason Hill. Anyone who can't see Davis is a much much much better QB than Carr is just blind. The fact is, Sing is afraid of a guy like Nate because he is a big armed, improve, gun slinger. Sing likes QBs that he can control and above all else protect the football even if that means going 3 and out most of the game. I really like Sing, but he is hard headed and has very strick perameters on how a QB should act in his system.

Run the ball, stop the run, dont turn it over. That is his formula.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I for one hope we cut Nate Davis before we ruin his career like we did Jason Hill. Anyone who can't see Davis is a much much much better QB than Carr is just blind. The fact is, Sing is afraid of a guy like Nate because he is a big armed, improve, gun slinger. Sing likes QBs that he can control and above all else protect the football even if that means going 3 and out most of the game. I really like Sing, but he is hard headed and has very strick perameters on how a QB should act in his system.

Run the ball, stop the run, dont turn it over. That is his formula.

sounds like Nolan..........which also lead to that Nolan Aaron Rogers encounter pre-draft.....which lead him taking Alex because of it.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM ]

Come on DJ...I know that you are much brighter than to suggest that one player who has had either first or second string reps in an offense + 10 games as a starter does not have an advantage over another player who has gotten maybe 5% of the reps? I guarantee you that if it was the other way around that Nate would know the playbook better than Alex.

last year smith started as the backup until around game 6 i believe. smith was studying hard and davis was either studying and not getting it or just not studying. singletary bashed him last week about not spending enough time learning the offense. say what you want about smith but he is one of the hardest workers on the team and many have said so already.

And if he turned into a Pro Bowl QB after a couple more seasons? The slightest possibility of having to live amongst Raider fans wearing that albatross is all the reason I need to say HELL no . . . unless we got a day one pick or Janikowski or something crazy like that.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:47 PM ]

last year smith started as the backup until around game 6 i believe. smith was studying hard and davis was either studying and not getting it or just not studying. singletary bashed him last week about not spending enough time learning the offense. say what you want about smith but he is one of the hardest workers on the team and many have said so already.

See...you are making an irrelevant arguement. I am not even suggesting that Smith has not worked hard. What I'm saying if I wante to teach you how to drive a car; for instance and put you in the driver's seat, you will likely do much better than if you rarely got behind the wheel and spent the majority of your time in the back seat. I don't care how much time you spend in the book, common sense demands that the more reps you get the better your understanding. Which is why the starting QB gets the vast majority of the reps. Sing also said that Davis was now working his tale off to learn the playbook and it is interesting that critics forget that part.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Aug 30, 2010 at 9:49 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone