There are 368 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jean-Francois/Franklin

i agree that RJF and Khalif have looked good. It makes me not too worried about Franklin coming in out of shape. i mean i hope he's been working out, but u cant really replicate playing/practicing. Also, having this problem is nice...remember the days of having other teams' scraps? its nice to have some depth finally...
I have liked what I have seen from RJF this pre-season and in practices , but I like having the depth too. The intensity during the real season is different than these pre-season games.

Franklin has a lot riding on having a very good showing this season and I like the idea of the 49ers harvesting those rewards.
this thread makes me happy at the fact that we will have 2 quality NT's. let's start this damn season already and bump this beezy in feb
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
this thread makes me happy at the fact that we will have 2 quality NT's. let's start this damn season already and bump this beezy in feb

This. NT was such a problem for us for such a long time. Imagine if we trade one of them and the other went down injured!

Depth on both lines is a good thing. We need to keep it not rush to trade it all away!
Originally posted by bret:
First of all, we haven't seen Jean in the regular season yet.

Secondly, it's not like we've got a lot of depth at the position. The emergence of Jean means we WILL have that depth finally. Do you really want to trade that away and see our season go down the drain due to an injury?!

Third, we'd have a hard time trading Franklin for a 2nd round pick at the end of the pre-season. He'd have to learn a new system on the fly. He might not make an impact on his new team for a month or more, and he'll be unrestricted next year, so why would a team make that commitment? I figure a 4th is about the best we could do.

And that brings me to my final point: we'll probably get a compensatory pick for losing him. If he signs a big deal somewhere, he's going to start. So the likelihood is we'll get a 3rd or a 4th anyway.

Right, we want to keep Franklin as long as we can, NT depth is not easy to find. I think RJF has been the MVP of the preseason so far, I think he'll replace Franklin as our starter pretty soon, but despite that optimistic prediction, I agree that its better to play it safe and keep both players this season. We want to win NOW, and an injury can derail a lot of things if we don't have depth.

And like Bret said, if/when Franklin leaves we will get pretty good compensation.
Give me Depth ...... depth ...... depth.

Let's keep them both , it's a long season and I want to see the playoffs.
Willis likes Franklin, so Im siding with him. lol
We should keep both, we need the depth and its nice to see the back ups can step in when needed.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
I have liked what I have seen from RJF this pre-season and in practices , but I like having the depth too. The intensity during the real season is different than these pre-season games.

Franklin has a lot riding on having a very good showing this season and I like the idea of the 49ers harvesting those rewards.

This
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
with the emergence of JF, it looks like we have already found our replacement for franklin next year. we should be looking for trade frankin as soon as he signs, and get something in return for him this year. i doubt we get a first rounder for him, but i will be happy as hell with a second rounder. thoughts?

agree
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
I have liked what I have seen from RJF this pre-season and in practices , but I like having the depth too. The intensity during the real season is different than these pre-season games.

Franklin has a lot riding on having a very good showing this season and I like the idea of the 49ers harvesting those rewards.

This

this 2
I'm very on on RJF and less high than many are about Franklin. That said, I have to agree with the majority here. Though it may work out best in the long run to do such a trade, we should keep both and not take such a risk. We can't be sure about RJF yet, and having 2 good NTs in rotation is gonna be important to our team this year.
Originally posted by bret:
First of all, we haven't seen Jean in the regular season yet.

Secondly, it's not like we've got a lot of depth at the position. The emergence of Jean means we WILL have that depth finally. Do you really want to trade that away and see our season go down the drain due to an injury?!

Third, we'd have a hard time trading Franklin for a 2nd round pick at the end of the pre-season. He'd have to learn a new system on the fly. He might not make an impact on his new team for a month or more, and he'll be unrestricted next year, so why would a team make that commitment? I figure a 4th is about the best we could do.

And that brings me to my final point: we'll probably get a compensatory pick for losing him. If he signs a big deal somewhere, he's going to start. So the likelihood is we'll get a 3rd or a 4th anyway.


Exactly. Pro-bowlers rarely net a 3rd round pick.
You can never have enough good players. We should wait until the end of this season before making any moves.