LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Jean-Francois/Franklin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
with the emergence of JF, it looks like we have already found our replacement for franklin next year. we should be looking for trade frankin as soon as he signs, and get something in return for him this year. i doubt we get a first rounder for him, but i will be happy as hell with a second rounder. thoughts?
id likw to keep him for a year and rotate him RJF is doing great but as his first year as NT i would like him to have a little more experiance and also rotating them will be great as both should be fresh for the playoffs
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
with the emergence of JF, it looks like we have already found our replacement for franklin next year. we should be looking for trade frankin as soon as he signs, and get something in return for him this year. i doubt we get a first rounder for him, but i will be happy as hell with a second rounder. thoughts?

No thanks. I value quality DL depth this year over an extra 2nd round pick next year.
Emergence? Ive yet to see the man take a regular season snap. Let's see how he plays when it counts and then we can discuss possibilities
[ Edited by YuNGaCE on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:31 PM ]
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Emergence? Ive yet to see the man take a regular season snap. Let's see how he plays when it counts and then we can discuss possibilities

he has been going up against starters in the pre-season and has done fairly well.
We're not trading Franklin b/c we need him..especially in this important year coming up. I'd rather him help us this year and walk next then trade him now.

he has been going up against starters in the pre-season and has done fairly well.

better than just fairly, and one thin he does that franklin doesnt.. He has a high motor, I have seen him rushing down the line of scrimage on plays that go outside. (its awesome)
trade your starting NT as soon as he signs just because his backup is doing well?
Originally posted by Allx9er:
trade your starting NT as soon as he signs just because his backup is doing well?

no im trading him becuase we will get a 2nd rounder next year, JF has played just as well against the starters, lastly becuase franklin will leave next year. those are all three really good reasons if you ask me
  • bret
  • Veteran
First of all, we haven't seen Jean in the regular season yet.

Secondly, it's not like we've got a lot of depth at the position. The emergence of Jean means we WILL have that depth finally. Do you really want to trade that away and see our season go down the drain due to an injury?!

Third, we'd have a hard time trading Franklin for a 2nd round pick at the end of the pre-season. He'd have to learn a new system on the fly. He might not make an impact on his new team for a month or more, and he'll be unrestricted next year, so why would a team make that commitment? I figure a 4th is about the best we could do.

And that brings me to my final point: we'll probably get a compensatory pick for losing him. If he signs a big deal somewhere, he's going to start. So the likelihood is we'll get a 3rd or a 4th anyway.

RJF is playing great; however, Franklin is the unquestioned starter and is playing for a contract so I think he'll put in a lot of effort this season. If RJF continues to impress the coaches then we let Franklin walk next year and save some money to hopefully resign Vernon, Manny and maybe Dashon.

i agree, i wouldn't use the word emergence. He's played very well, especially one play where he got immediate penetration to stuff Peterson, but Franklin is one of the best nose tackles in the game and having him one more year will only help the team win. I do feel bad for Franklin cause he's getting up there in age and he's not gonna get a deal he wants. My guess is Nolan is going to try and pick him up wherever he ends up in 2011 (if there is a 2011 season)
Originally posted by Allx9er:

no im trading him becuase we will get a 2nd rounder next year, JF has played just as well against the starters, lastly becuase franklin will leave next year. those are all three really good reasons if you ask me

if you can get a 2nd round pick for an older vet with no accolades, RJF hasnt played enough as a starter when it counts so to compare the two is premature and he may leave next year so what, the team will get at least one more good year out of him maybe more. nobody said he wont resign for a few more years afterwards
  • cools
  • Veteran
Keep em both.

Mitchell is looking good also
He needs to get rid of that #60 and take Balmers #96
Why don't we see how RJF plays in real games before we anoint him Franklin's successor?
Share 49ersWebzone