There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

a Thought on Alex Smith and the Bust title

I still don't understand the key reason for drafting him over Rogers: athleticism.

Rogers has shown much more athletic ability than Smith in terms of mobility and arm strength.

Everyone knew Rogers was more NFL ready but the athleticism Smith supposedly had over Aaron was the difference maker.

Boy was that an incorrect evaluation.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
I still don't understand the key reason for drafting him over Rogers: athleticism.

Rogers has shown much more athletic ability than Smith in terms of mobility and arm strength.

Everyone knew Rogers was more NFL ready but the athleticism Smith supposedly had over Aaron was the difference maker.

Thanks for your opinion Joe, how was JTO's athletic ability compared to Smith's? The common consensus with the Smith/Rodgers debate was basically flip a coin. I think it was true too, I think you flip the script on these two and they'd turn out the same. Rodgers just got lucky and didn't have to start for the worst team in the NFL his rookie season under a coach that had no idea what he was doing. It was just a bad year to be picking #1.
i do agree that if norv turner stayed the offensive coordinator he would have become a top ten qb in the league (the ladder top ten 8 9 or 10) but who knows if sing would have kept norv on as a coordinator? i think he would have because he did emphasize more of a run balanced and bootleg type of offense that has to do allot with the play action.

oh yeah nolan had to go so who knows who wouldve been the head coach? perhaps holmgren or shanahan (i can only dream of that though)

gore would maybe been an mvp also
[ Edited by montananinerfan on Aug 24, 2010 at 1:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Thanks for your opinion Joe, how was JTO's athletic ability compared to Smith's? The common consensus with the Smith/Rodgers debate was basically flip a coin. I think it was true too, I think you flip the script on these two and they'd turn out the same. Rodgers just got lucky and didn't have to start for the worst team in the NFL his rookie season under a coach that had no idea what he was doing. It was just a bad year to be picking #1.

I'm not comparing their careers, just pointing out that the analysis that Smith is the better athlete was incorrect as we have seen on the field. Rogers looks much quicker, has a quicker release and a stronger arm. I'm just saying, looking back, the "reason" McCloughan used to why we picked him was incorrect.

Being on a better team won't make Smith quicker or his arm stronger.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I'm not comparing their careers, just pointing out that the analysis that Smith is the better athlete was incorrect as we have seen on the field. Rogers looks much quicker, has a quicker release and a stronger arm. I'm just saying, looking back, the "reason" McCloughan used to why we picked him was incorrect.

Being on a better team won't make Smith quicker or his arm stronger.

I feel like everyone brings up these two attributes when discussing Smith. He IS quick...much more mobile than we give him credit for. Everyone bashes him when he rolls out of the pocket and then we criticize his quickness. It makes no sense. His arm strength is more than suitable for an NFL Qb. He doesn't have Nate's arm (not even close) but who cares? He has plenty of arm strength to air it out. I don't mean to pick on you and trust me, I know exactly the argument you're trying to make with the Rodgers comparison. However, I just think we criticize Smith's physical tools a little too much.
forget all these fans on here. They are all blinded by the fact that we haven't had a winning season since early last decade. I feel exactly the same way that you do about Alex. No. 1 pick overall or not, this is a team sport. We had a terrible O line, Bad head coach and virtually no philosophy whatsoever. All I have to say is this season will determine everything you need to know about Alex Smith and his careeer. If he doesn't succeed than he is a bust.
Alex Smith sucks...deep down everyone on the zone knows that...but hes the best qb on the roster, and really our only option right now. Sad but true!
oh it's this thread again.
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I don't think most on here would call him a bust. I think most are disappointed with his performance to date. I mean, we didn't draft this guy 1st overall to be average...

I agree with this. I think the timing was bad. The 49ers were the worst I have ever seen and we all wanted to see a hero carry this team and Alex didn't/couldn't do it.

I really believe very few QB's could have stepped in like Alex and win (or even play average) from the get go.

i hate the comparison to Rodgers debate. Rodgers sat on the bench which helped him a lot. Its proven to work bc look at Vince Young now as an example

It seems everybody passes over the fact that Alex was the youngest player drafted that year. It really is to much to ask a kid to come into the NFL and play the most important position on offense without ANY time on the sidelines to learn the craft.
I don't think most on here would call him a bust. I think most are disappointed with his performance to date. I mean, we didn't draft this guy 1st overall to be average...

This. And Aaron Rodgers just makes it worse, but i dont think Smith is a bust

I was under the impression that the slight favor to Alex was that Nolan and McC felt he had the better... disposition of the two?
Originally posted by kidash:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:

Is he even average?

He ain't no Jamarcus Russell!

but pretty close...

Is he even average?

In case you're purposely forgetting last year he played better than average,he played good football and that's why he's the starter going into this season.

With the Defense they have Alex just needs to take that good and move it up a couple of notches and they're in the playoffs.

Go Niners
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by kidash:

Is he even average?

He ain't no Jamarcus Russell!

but pretty close...

David Carr? Oh no question.