There are 199 users in the forums

a Thought on Alex Smith and the Bust title

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
If he would only do his job on a CONSISTENT basis, but he never has, never, yet, 6 years in going on 7.

43 starts. 2.7 years.

That is all.
  • Griz
  • Veteran
The only reason there is people calling Smith a bust is two reasons. 1. Montana, 2 Young. another reason is Rice and all the players they played with. I guess John Brodie was a bust. lol..... Nobody is a bust if they played on the NINERS. I'm a bust because I didn't get to play on the niners. Enjoy watching! been doing it sense 1965. More losing than winning.
Originally posted by 49erAllTheWay:
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
one word, inconsistant

just like Jeff Garcia was late in his 9er career.... THAT is the WORSE kind of QB you can have....someone who plays just well enough to give numerous chances...

if you have a horrible QB, then you can just move on, and try something new.....but an inconsistent QB with money invested =

if Alex ever does get everything together...and it will be obvious....when he does then we are set for a while...and will be a very dangerous team, which is why I understand how some (ownership/coaches/fans) want this to work sooo bad that it, imo it clouds their judgment sometimes.
I hoped the niners would draft a QB for the last three or four drafts. At the same time I don't think Alex is a bust.
[ Edited by fister30 on Aug 24, 2010 at 10:07 PM ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
If he would only do his job on a CONSISTENT basis, but he never has, never, yet, 6 years in going on 7.

43 starts. 2.7 years.

That is all.

43 starts across 6 years. Just cause he lost the starting job a couple of times doesn't mean that those starts should be ignored. Same holds true for getting injured; just cause he was injured doesn't mean that he couldn't carry a clipboard and learn like several other QBs do...
Originally posted by fister30:
I hoped the niners would draft a QB for the last three or four drafts. At the same time I don't think Alex is a bust.

The problem with drafting many QBs is that the team doesn't have time to adequately evaluate them. Because the team could only carry a limited number of QBs every season with at least one veteran, most of the drafted QBs would have been cut. Why waste picks?
Originally posted by Afrikan:
one word, inconsistant

just like Jeff Garcia was late in his 9er career.... THAT is the WORSE kind of QB you can have....someone who plays just well enough to give numerous chances...

if you have a horrible QB, then you can just move on, and try something new.....but an inconsistent QB with money invested =

if Alex ever does get everything together...and it will be obvious....when he does then we are set for a while...and will be a very dangerous team, which is why I understand how some (ownership/coaches/fans) want this to work sooo bad that it, imo it clouds their judgment sometimes.

There have never been a year where many proven QBs are available on the market. Therefore when a team gets a guy like Jeff Garcia in his prime, it has no choice but hanging on to him. Remember, a team's success relies not only on the QB's performance, but also on other players. Jeff Garcia was not the reason why the 49ers had problems getting to the playoffs all of those years. The Mariucci 49ers teams were never known for being good defensively. The best ranking they got was 3rd the first year Mariucci inherited the team from Seifert (forcing Seifert out was De Bartolo's huge mistake, marking the start of the 49ers collapse, IMO.) Within two years, the 49ers ranked 30th in allowed points! No QB could fight against that tide. Even the great Marino, and Elway could not win given similar circumstances.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

43 starts. 2.7 years.

That is all.

43 starts across 6 years. Just cause he lost the starting job a couple of times doesn't mean that those starts should be ignored. Same holds true for getting injured; just cause he was injured doesn't mean that he couldn't carry a clipboard and learn like several other QBs do...

Learn what? A system that he would eventually have to unlearn?
Originally posted by Griz:
The only reason there is people calling Smith a bust is two reasons. 1. Montana, 2 Young. another reason is Rice and all the players they played with. I guess John Brodie was a bust. lol..... Nobody is a bust if they played on the NINERS. I'm a bust because I didn't get to play on the niners. Enjoy watching! been doing it sense 1965. More losing than winning.

43 starts. 2.7 years.

That is all.

what are u talkiung about when he got injured he did learn the system but of course we had a different OC every year so how would it show?

i don't like smith but if we get to the playoffs with him this year as we should no problem he can try it one more year but if we don't get there this year he's gone no questions asked and he needs to stop staring down receivers and look at who is open.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

43 starts. 2.7 years.

That is all.

what are u talkiung about when he got injured he did learn the system but of course we had a different OC every year so how would it show?

Because how you read a D changes with every Coordinator right. Oh, wait; no it doesn't...
Here we are getting ready for what might be our best season in quite a long time and we are talking about the same QB crap we have talked about for the last 5 years. Lets get through the season and see where we end up. Then if we fail get the rope out and hang him.
one word, inconsistant

I agree, the smallest glimpse of hope with $$ in him makes ppl (myself aswell) not want to give up on him........ but for me the frustration is unbearable sometimes.

one word, inconsistant

I agree, the smallest glimpse of hope with $$ in him makes ppl (myself aswell) not want to give up on him........ but for me the frustration is unbearable sometimes.

I've seen when it does happen and it...is...GLORIOUS
Share 49ersWebzone