LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

a Thought on Alex Smith and the Bust title

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SashRoxx-1:
OK 1st I want to say these are my reason for saying Alex Smith will succeed in the NFL rather than be a bust as MOST Niner fans have labeled him...
ok going by record alone you cant label a player in a team sport a bust...I mean for those of you that are Giants fans would you call M Cain a Lousy pitcher? Look at his W-L record 54-61 in his career...For those that are Warrior fans is Steven Curry a Lousy basketball player? His team record shows he is...for those that cant see where Im getting at here Im not saying that Alex is as good as Matt Cain or Steven Curry but what I am saying is it's more then judging a guy by his record. Now lets look at this for a moment.

Alex Smith had a MISERABLE rookie season..true but does that make him a bust? As Ive said MANY MANY times...that team was so bad they should have been the 1st team to go 0-16..somehow the team won what 4 games that year? OK now lets see with the team the Niners had in 05 Seriously would ANY QB have helped them? No even Joe Montana would have looked bad on that team...You cant look good if you're running for you life on every passing down...Steve Young may have looked decent? and that's only because of his scrambling abilities. But for the most part you cant really blame Alex Smith his rookie year cause the whole team was a JOKE. In any case I wont say a QB that's starting for a lousy team a BUST... the WHOLE team was a Bust...Look at Troy Aikman as a rookie did he fair well? He didn't have a bad career though...And I couldn't stand the guy til I met him and got to actually sit down and talk to him...I gained alot of respect for T Aikman.
Year 2 Alex Smith went from 1 TD and 11 Ints to 16 TDs and 16 Int. a HUGE Improvement over the year before and his QB rating almost doubled. Year 3 Alex Smith loses N Turner as OC...who I think Alex Smith would have taken off under had he stayed on as OC. In any case Alex Smith made a Big jump in 06 from his disastrous rookie season. Now getting on with season 3 in 07...Yes he had lousy numbers...under 50 pct pass completions but lets take a look at the season. He didn't start off bad not really anything to write home about but definitely not LOUSY. The guy Separates his shoulder and tries to come back early to help the team while his HC is Bashing him...A QB with a separated shoulder is heading for disaster if he tries playing...in my opinion the guy should have not tried coming back especially with basically a lost season anyway. I don't know of many QBs that would be able to play with a separated shoulder and look good. So is he really a Bust? He's had a disastrous season (Not all his fault) and a pretty good season. year 3 he played 3 games before getting hurt where he was OK and then he played with a torn up shoulder after that...I will give him the benefit of the doubt there. Season 4 He pays for his coming back early the year before has surgery on his shoulder and is shelved w/o even taking a snap...cant say he's a bust when he cant even get on the field due to injury. that brings us to last year prorated his season would have looked like this 3418 yds, 26 TDs a QB rating of 81.5 Hmmmm look at B Favre...and as much as I HATE him you cant say he's a lousy QB but look at his QB rating he's got several (6) years with a QB rating below 81.5

So it looks to me like you give him the weapons he needs and Alex Smith will do just fine. Seriously how good of a QB would Joe Montana be if his best receiver was Brandon Llyod? The reason Montana was so good is he had a great sounding cast with him...For those that don't think Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Roger Craig, Russ Francis, and for the most part a solid OLine, etc help Joe Montana be the Hall of Fame QB he was don,t know much about TEAM sports.

Now Alex Smith has Micheal Crabtree, Vernon Davis, F Gore and B Westbrook... If he has a bad year this year then you all might have a point...still even with all those weapons if his OLine cant protect him you can have 2 J Rices and 2 R Craigs and that might not help but from what I saw this past week the OLine looked ok...

And please if you want to show the other side of Alex Smith please don't just say Sashroxx you're an idiot you don't know what you're talking about show me WHY your point is right and mine is flawed

You are right....and if he has an AVERAGE OL and now 1 WR he could be a pro bowl player. A lot of the best qb's have GREAT OL's and at least 1 great wr.
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I don't think most on here would call him a bust. I think most are disappointed with his performance to date. I mean, we didn't draft this guy 1st overall to be average...

Is he even average?

He ain't no Jamarcus Russell!

one word, inconsistant
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I don't think most on here would call him a bust. I think most are disappointed with his performance to date. I mean, we didn't draft this guy 1st overall to be average...

I agree with this. I think the timing was bad. The 49ers were the worst I have ever seen and we all wanted to see a hero carry this team and Alex didn't/couldn't do it.

I really believe very few QB's could have stepped in like Alex and win (or even play average) from the get go.

i hate the comparison to Rodgers debate. Rodgers sat on the bench which helped him a lot. Its proven to work bc look at Vince Young now as an example
The bust to blame is Nolan. He's the one that let Garcia go and drafted Smith. Instead we should have kept Garcia to groom Rodgers.

This is the year Alex steps up or sits down. Simple !!
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Espn te herd is torching matt leinart saying he will never be good and he keeps throwing Alex smith in the mix saying he wishes smith was good because he's a nice guy but it will never happen.

I hope he's wrong.

Colen is wrong this time, because unlike Leinart, Alex has shown on several occasions flashes of being a good QB. I see Alex on the rise and its because of a potentially better OL, and definitely better talent around him.

Aex is not a bust, but its still undetermined whether or not he'll be the 49ers QB after this season. His play will dictate that decision. I for one hope that he proves all the naysayers wrong and leads the 9ers to a Division Title and deep into the playoffs.
When someone is drafted #1 as a qb, they are drafted to be a leader, come in and take control and also to win.

Alex Smith has never averaged over 200 yards a game passing in his career, that just aint going to cut it in todays NFL.

For whatever reason, I think he is a nice guy, but at this point I would take the young athletic Nate Davis over Smith.

Just my opinion, but hey, the team has not been above 500 since 2002, so somethings gotta give.
I think it's obvious the team isn't sold on Smith or they would have extended his contract. Instead, he had to take a paycut just to stay with the team.

It will be very sad if this team is a playoff caliber team for the second straight year and fails to make the post season due to a mediocre QB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Giant9er:
The bust to blame is Nolan. He's the one that let Garcia go and drafted Smith. Instead we should have kept Garcia to groom Rodgers.

This is the year Alex steps up or sits down. Simple !!

Are you being serious???
Originally posted by 9erred:
When someone is drafted #1 as a qb, they are drafted to be a leader, come in and take control and also to win.

Alex Smith has never averaged over 200 yards a game passing in his career, that just aint going to cut it in todays NFL.

For whatever reason, I think he is a nice guy, but at this point I would take the young athletic Nate Davis over Smith.

Just my opinion, but hey, the team has not been above 500 since 2002, so somethings gotta give.

Why is it that no matter what is discussed, the Alex Smith bust has to be added to the mix?

Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Espn te herd is torching matt leinart saying he will never be good and he keeps throwing Alex smith in the mix saying he wishes smith was good because he's a nice guy but it will never happen.

I hope he's wrong.

Colen is wrong this time, because unlike Leinart, Alex has shown on several occasions flashes of being a good QB. I see Alex on the rise and its because of a potentially better OL, and definitely better talent around him.

Aex is not a bust, but its still undetermined whether or not he'll be the 49ers QB after this season. His play will dictate that decision. I for one hope that he proves all the naysayers wrong and leads the 9ers to a Division Title and deep into the playoffs.

Agree
Originally posted by 9erred:

You need to check your stats before you try to throw them out as fact, he averaged 214 yards a game last year. As for Davis, if you think it isn't throwing the season away to put him in now, you just do not know football...
Originally posted by horsecore:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:

I love that f'ing gif!
Alright, i'm going to bite. Unfortunately I fear that half way through, my frustration with the Alex Smith train is going to come flying out of the closet, getting it all over the furniture and carpet.
Is Alex a bust? As soon as he's no longer a starting QB, and I believe that is going to be at the end of this season. I'm sorry, I don't buy the OC excuse. People love to defend Alex with the rotating OC theory. Problem is, Drew Brees had that problem...yet he was still good and you could see it early. 17 TD's/16int's his first season as a starter. I'm sure there are others. It didn't take 5,6,7 seasons. Alex's numbers were atrocious the first season, and granted the team was very bad. But even if the team was good, watching him play that season, he didn't show anything that makes me think he would have been that much better with a better supporting cast. His 2nd season numbers should have been a bit better than they were. Look at guys like Matt Ryan, Rivers, Romo, Sanchez, etc. The number of QB's who started as rookies and did ok is not really long, but plenty with better first year numbers not only substantially better than Alex's, but their rookie season numbers are better than his 2nd season, and in some cases, both seasons combined. Granted, there are not a plethora of guys that come in and are solid their rookie season right off the bad, but if you notice, these are your top 15+ QB's in the league. These are the guys that people want running their team. The rest are stuck with mediocre or bad while searching for that good QB. Alex to me, is a career backup being asked to be a starter. He's a nice guy. There's nothing to dislike about the guy, really. I like to believe We all want him to succeed. I just don't see it happening. The guy shows flashes where he looks like he could be a serviceable QB. Sure, he puts together a great quarter here and there, then it's 3 quarters of bad. Ok, Rodgers got to sit back and learn. Well, when Alex was hurt, was he unable to watch and learn? When he was the backup, was he unable to watch and learn? When Rodgers did come in, he looked like a natural. (I'll be the first to admit, I never saw that coming. I thought Rodgers and Smith were both equally bad picks in that draft) The list of excuses for this guy is long and just keeps getting longer. It's either the OC's fault, or the Head Coaches fault, the ref's fault, the fact that he hasn't gotten to sit on the bench and learn for a decade fault, the offensive lines fault, the WR's fault, the bad sushi, his cleats, El Nino, George W Bush, Obama's, the coriolis effect, and on and on and on.

With all that said, I do not wish for his failure like some Alex Haters. I'll gladly eat crow if he somehow finds "it". I've been a Niner fan since 1983. I live in the hell hole known as Dallas, TX. Home of the fairweather fan. It's hard living here as a Niner fan, it's even harder when the team isn't that great. So Alex's failure only makes sitting in a bar here watching a game in my jersey that much harder. So I want Alex to succeed. I want this team in the playoffs. I didn't drive 1200 miles to Phoenix in 2009 for the road opener to cheer against Smith. I did it due to my love of this team. So i'll be in KC in September rooting for them against the Chiefs, and in San Francisco in November when we host the Lambs regardless of who's running the ship. Assuming Alex is at the helm, i'll be cheering him on. Unfortunately I think we are trying to squeeze blood from a turnip. That turnip being one Alex Smith.

p.s., someone mentioned Vince Youngs name and I never miss a chance to take a shot at this over rated wanna be QB. I predicted Vince Young would suck from day 1. And he has. The defense and running game has carried that team since he got there. Yet, people want him to succeed so bad, they defend the guy endlessly, giving him credit in games where he did more harm than good. I hate hearing or reading about how Vince Young leads the Titans to victory only to see that he threw 0 TD"s, 125 yards passing, 2 INT's. Give me a break. The guys numbers have never been that good and outside his college career, i've seen nothing impressive about the guy.
Originally posted by sdninerfan:
Originally posted by archcity49er:
My thoughts..... you take somebody number 1 you want an impact player and a player for the next decade in the pro bowl. If he does not succeed this year and is gone I think it is ok to say bust..... with this caveat, it maybe wasn't the strongest draft (quarterback wise....don't say Rogers as nobody was thinking him as a one) and ill be damned if I don't feel he tried to be worthy of number 1 he is no leaf or Russell or any of those much more "superstar" number ones (I know two for leaf). I can say the organization made a mistake but at least it wasn't a complete douchbag failure. maybe he just should have been drafted later if that's what turns out.

So yes you would call him a bust but I'm not sure he could get anywhere near the people in the top 25 in that category...

In a normal draft he would not have gone first overall. Bad year for the 49ers to have the #1.

At least we didn't wait for the following year and picked up Matt Leinert...
Share 49ersWebzone