49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 611 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
  • Posts: 122,143
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Typical Alex game looked average on some throws and complete trash on others. Watching him play is like watching the special Olympics.

You watch the Special Olympics?

He subscribes

Yes I'm his sponsor.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

Good post. But I've got to say, I was routinely puzzled by people who thought O'Sullivan and Hill were better QBs. They were both awful, and how anyone could have ever believed they were better than Smith was beyond me. I've spent a lot of time on message boards arguing against people with said beliefs, but I'm always happy to read the thoughts of people who are coming around. Again, great post.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

Good post. But I've got to say, I was routinely puzzled by people who thought O'Sullivan and Hill were better QBs. They were both awful, and how anyone could have ever believed they were better than Smith was beyond me. I've spent a lot of time on message boards arguing against people with said beliefs, but I'm always happy to read the thoughts of people who are coming around. Again, great post.

While I can see some merits that Hill has been a more mentally accomplished QB that Smith (with the exception of his ability to throw well beyond short range passes), I don't see how JTO was better than Smith. Yes, he was able to hit some receivers in stride in some of plays Martz called, but that was because he was familiar with the system having learned it for several years. He was exposed pretty quickly as the going got tough.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

I really wanted to see him do it one more time though. He got the job done, nothing spectacular.

Id give Smith a B, Davis a D. I hope they go with the same QB rotation next week so we can see if 1. Smith can show a little consistency 2. Davis rebound and show what hes shown in the past.

I don't think Smith is the answer and I think Davis will end up being the better QB. Some people like Smith I like Davis, and to all the Smith supporters I dont care if im right or not as long as long as were both not wrong
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

I really wanted to see him do it one more time though. He got the job done, nothing spectacular.

Id give Smith a B, Davis a D. I hope they go with the same QB rotation next week so we can see if 1. Smith can show a little consistency 2. Davis rebound and show what hes shown in the past.

I don't think Smith is the answer and I think Davis will end up being the better QB. Some people like Smith I like Davis, and to all the Smith supporters I dont care if im right or not as long as long as were both not wrong

Do you think having Gore, Davis and Crabtree will make the results better?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

I really wanted to see him do it one more time though. He got the job done, nothing spectacular.

Id give Smith a B, Davis a D. I hope they go with the same QB rotation next week so we can see if 1. Smith can show a little consistency 2. Davis rebound and show what hes shown in the past.

I don't think Smith is the answer and I think Davis will end up being the better QB. Some people like Smith I like Davis, and to all the Smith supporters I dont care if im right or not as long as long as were both not wrong

Do you think having Gore, Davis and Crabtree will make the results better?

I just dont think Smith has IT. I dont ever see him making any pro bowls. He can get job done but he's no superstar, hes gona need a lot of help
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

I really wanted to see him do it one more time though. He got the job done, nothing spectacular.

Id give Smith a B, Davis a D. I hope they go with the same QB rotation next week so we can see if 1. Smith can show a little consistency 2. Davis rebound and show what hes shown in the past.

I don't think Smith is the answer and I think Davis will end up being the better QB. Some people like Smith I like Davis, and to all the Smith supporters I dont care if im right or not as long as long as were both not wrong

Do you think having Gore, Davis and Crabtree will make the results better?

I just dont think Smith has IT. I dont ever see him making any pro bowls. He can get job done but he's no superstar, hes gona need a lot of help

Every QB needs help, it is a team sport. I guess we will see if he has this mysterious "IT".
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 19,430
He looked like he'll be able to manage and drive his team on certain occasions.


But until we see him in the regular season...he didn't do anything to lose the starting gig.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Careful now....

This message to Alex Smith supporters: You're starting to post some of the same Alexcuses that got the Bandwagon thread locked.

Resist the DARK SIDE...

He had a great series and then Raye took the car keys away. The Niners weren't going to throw out the whole playbook. They gave us a taste in Drive One and that was enough.

Smith did FINE. But don't start posting that he was "missing that player" or "missing this guy." That's called an Alexcuse.

He was sharp in Drive One. It's all we needed to see.

Wasn't it locked due to your trolling?

Yes.

anyone who posts the word in bold should be hit with a warning
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

I really wanted to see him do it one more time though. He got the job done, nothing spectacular.

Id give Smith a B, Davis a D. I hope they go with the same QB rotation next week so we can see if 1. Smith can show a little consistency 2. Davis rebound and show what hes shown in the past.

I don't think Smith is the answer and I think Davis will end up being the better QB. Some people like Smith I like Davis, and to all the Smith supporters I dont care if im right or not as long as long as were both not wrong

Do you think having Gore, Davis and Crabtree will make the results better?

I just dont think Smith has IT. I dont ever see him making any pro bowls. He can get job done but he's no superstar, hes gona need a lot of help

You said it correctly,he doesn't need to be a superstar just get the job done and the 49ers are on their way to the playoffs.

Go Niners
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

I really wanted to see him do it one more time though. He got the job done, nothing spectacular.

Id give Smith a B, Davis a D. I hope they go with the same QB rotation next week so we can see if 1. Smith can show a little consistency 2. Davis rebound and show what hes shown in the past.

I don't think Smith is the answer and I think Davis will end up being the better QB. Some people like Smith I like Davis, and to all the Smith supporters I dont care if im right or not as long as long as were both not wrong

Do you think having Gore, Davis and Crabtree will make the results better?

I just dont think Smith has IT. I dont ever see him making any pro bowls. He can get job done but he's no superstar, hes gona need a lot of help

So... Would you consider Gore, Davis, and Crabs a lot of help?
Originally posted by susweel:
Typical Alex game looked average on some throws and complete trash on others. Watching him play is like watching the special Olympics.

LOL troll caught!
Lots of good points guys! And surprisingly, a few "HATERS" turned.
Originally posted by Jikkle49:
I'll give him an A.

Considering the hand he was dealt with which was lacking the top 3 weapons on offense and run heavy play calling he played it about as well as he could.

The only mistake I saw was a high pass to Ginn but it still was a catchable ball but I still think you put that on the QB.

This is Crazy talk people!! How many times do we have to blame the quarterbacks (Davis, Smith last night) for balls that are mere inches to a foot from being perfect. I mean we are calling balls high that are at the recievers head or slightly above.. that is so ridiculous. Since the beginning of pre-season I have been watching every game I could, and I will tell you something: every QB- Manning, Brees, Brady , Vince young, Jake Delhomme all of them have thrown several passes like those that we obsess over here. The difference is that their recievers CATCH THE FOOTBAL (most of the time)L!! I don't know if it is a coaching thing, bad luck, or just obsessing over it here on WZ, but I would hope that the players, coaches, and fans would start holding the recievers responsible for dropped passes! That includes Crabtree, Davis, and anyone else who keeps dropping passes, or tipping them up to get intercepted.

Please watch a whole game this week and just try to notice where QB's (All-pros, and scrubs) are putting the ball. Yo uwill see that it is behind, a little bit high, slightly low etc ALL THE TIME. You don't notice it as much because the recievers make a play on the football. Can we please stop whining about this and just CATCH THE BALL? This is coming from an old highschool reciever, so I know all about catching in traffic etc. I know it is difficult, but for whatever reason our WR's need to be held accountable when it hits their hands. Ok off my soapbox
For those who wanted to see it more than one quarter: you do know that it has now been in two games where Smith has made almost perfect decisions from the time he gets the play to the instant the ball is released from his hand.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone