There are 239 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Typical Alex game looked average on some throws and complete trash on others. Watching him play is like watching the special Olympics.
Originally posted by susweel:
Typical Alex game looked average on some throws and complete trash on others. Watching him play is like watching the special Olympics.

So, "F+," then?
  • fly15
  • Veteran

welcome!!!
First let me get my dig in here. I think the word "dude" has to be the most overused, imbecilic word to describe someone of the male gender. In my day, a dude was a worthless drifter that held menial jobs at places like dude ranches and ski resorts. There goals in life hadn't been defined past what kind of weed they would be smoking tonite and what they would wash it down with.

As for Alex, the one thing that I did like yesterday was that he seemed to have developed some pocket presence. That is what sets good QBs apart from mediocre QBs. Not everyone can stand in the pocket like Peyton Manning get's to do, and most likely no 49ers QB will get that opportunity to much early this year.

I'd rather have a QB who can move in the pocket and create possibilities.

While I think our success this year weighs heavily on Alex's shoulders (yes it won't be Nate or David Carr), even more important to me will be play calling.

I would suspect (and pray or hope) that Jimmy Raye and Sing don't eat too much "ground chuck" for offense.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

So, "F+," then?

Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

susweel you are truly atrocious

You watch the Special Olympics?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

You watch the Special Olympics?

He subscribes

Just finished watching the first half again and Smith really made only 1 bad throw and that was to Ginn in the 3rd series and it was still catchable.

So if this is "typical" Alex then the 49ers are on their way to the playoffs baby!

Go Niners!
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
first drive -

rest of game -

Typical Smith..........inconsistent. But I'll give the homers this one. He came out and led a pretty good drive. We'll see what happens next week.

Inconsistent what?
He completed 69.2% of his passes for crying out loud!
If anybody was inconsistent that would be N.Davis which is not surprising considering he played against better competition for the first time.

Typical haters.........always grasping at something,like imperfections and non truths...

Yeeah!
Our starting QB!
Go Niners!

You always call me a typical hater also, I gave him a (B).

Goood Boooy!

you see?? we can get along....

Totally respect the Objective people like you and Bill in the ACP, (apparently we will get a warning for saying hater now lol).

Now we just need consistency from Alex and webzone can be a happy place full of sunshine and butterflies

Originally posted by AKfanster:
Every Niner fan should've been encouraged after watching the 1st drive last night. All the "Alex has more confidence" talk this preseason was finally on display last night. Alex played very well against a very good defense WITHOUT the team's top 3 offensive threats Gore, VD, and Crabtree.

Instead of being excited for the offense's potential, I see alot of hate and discontent. I don't understand why though. I'm not an Alex Smith fan boy, never have and never will be. I've been very critical of him and thought Hill (last season) and JTO (the year before) were easily better than him. My opinion of Alex doesn't matter though. What I saw last night gave me alot of hope for this season. Smith actually looked like a QB! He stood in the pocket, made his reads/throws, and didn't appear to be afraid of incoming defenders that pressured him. Anybody who's followed the Niners over the last several seasons know that those haven't been Smith traits. I saw a different guy back there. He was playing like a real QB...... finally! Smith will need to play to that level again next week to prove this wasn't a fluke, and I think he will.

Every Niner fan should've been very happy to see the way he played last night. The Niners will only go as far as Smith can take them, and after last night I'm confident he can get this team into the playoffs.

(yes, even though he can't throw a 65 yard bomb)

Really good post from you. I remember you HAVE been very critical of Smith. Glad to see you seem to be coming around to the acceptance that he has turned the corner and can get things done when his teammates also do their jobs.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
First let me get my dig in here. I think the word "dude" has to be the most overused, imbecilic word to describe someone of the male gender. In my day, a dude was a worthless drifter that held menial jobs at places like dude ranches and ski resorts. There goals in life hadn't been defined past what kind of weed they would be smoking tonite and what they would wash it down with.

As for Alex, the one thing that I did like yesterday was that he seemed to have developed some pocket presence. That is what sets good QBs apart from mediocre QBs. Not everyone can stand in the pocket like Peyton Manning get's to do, and most likely no 49ers QB will get that opportunity to much early this year.

I'd rather have a QB who can move in the pocket and create possibilities.

While I think our success this year weighs heavily on Alex's shoulders (yes it won't be Nate or David Carr), even more important to me will be play calling.

I would suspect (and pray or hope) that Jimmy Raye and Sing don't eat too much "ground chuck" for offense.

Language is ever-evolving, dude.
I gave him a B. He didn't have 3 of his main weapons yet he still did a very good job of eluding the pass rush and finding his targets. He also didn't have much help in terms of the run game. Other than a couple of decent runs from Dixon the Oline had a hard time getting a push against Vikings. Of course everyone knows the Vikings have had the the strongest Run Defense in the NFL over the past 5 years.
Share 49ersWebzone