LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Alex Smith's performance in Game 2 vs Minnesota...

Originally posted by TDilvr:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
B+

And who the hell gave him a "D?"

ZRF80?

lol either him fly or sunswel
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Smith looked comfortable and was on target right away. Lack of a running game became an issue later.

But that's Alex for you. One week he looks good next week he looks bad. Now if we could only get some consistency with him.

I give him a C+. If he would have thrown a TD or a real nice deep throw maybe I'd give him a B.
A huge difference in this game compared to the Indy game was that in this game, Anthony Davis was able to block the DE by himself much of the time, OR he got help. Hence, Smith had plenty of time to go through his progressions and even step up to throw. The result was that he was on target.

In the Indy game, according to the coaching reports, Singletary/Raye INTENTIONALLY left Davis 1-on-1 against Robert Mathis to see what he could do against one of the very best pass rushers in the game - Davis got owned and Smith very little time. The coaches wanted to evaluate where Davis was both for their own sake and for Davis'. Smith, unfortunately, did not have the time and did not look as good.

So while we all want consistency from Smith, or whoever the QB happens to be, they must have time. Last week, almost by design, Smith did not have the time he had yesterday.

As to your rating system that must include a TD, I'll just leave it that he converted on all 3 3rd downs in the key drive and is what a QB is supposed to do. The fact Davis made a nice move and had good speed to get around the corner to deny Smith a chance to throw a TD pass should not lower his grade, IMO.

I don't have to see a TD to give a better grade but it would be nice to see a nice touch on TD pass. His passes were short to intermediate but on target. Nice job converting 3rd downs on the first drive. Like I said we couldn't run so it made it harder later on for him to continuously convert.

Yes give any QB time he should be able to light up a defense. However we both now that will not always be the case. At least he can make a play with his legs. Smith is a good passer on the run.

Take it from me that I hope he looks like this next week. Or else the ACP will back
[ Edited by BETTERDAYZ9ERS on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:02 PM ]
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
first drive -

rest of game -

Typical Smith..........inconsistent. But I'll give the homers this one. He came out and led a pretty good drive. We'll see what happens next week.

Inconsistent what?
He completed 69.2% of his passes for crying out loud!
If anybody was inconsistent that would be N.Davis which is not surprising considering he played against better competition for the first time.

Typical haters.........always grasping at something,like imperfections and non truths...

Yeeah!
Our starting QB!
Go Niners!

You always call me a typical hater also, I gave him a (B).

Goood Boooy!
  • fly15
  • Veteran
first drive -

rest of game -

Typical Smith..........inconsistent. But I'll give the homers this one. He came out and led a pretty good drive. We'll see what happens next week.

Inconsistent what?
If anybody was inconsistent that would be N.Davis which is not surprising considering he played against better competition for the first time.

Typical haters.........always grasping at something,like imperfections and non truths...

Yeeah!
Our starting QB!
Go Niners!

Goood Boooy!

you see?? we can get along....
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Smith looked comfortable and was on target right away. Lack of a running game became an issue later.

But that's Alex for you. One week he looks good next week he looks bad. Now if we could only get some consistency with him.

I give him a C+. If he would have thrown a TD or a real nice deep throw maybe I'd give him a B.
A huge difference in this game compared to the Indy game was that in this game, Anthony Davis was able to block the DE by himself much of the time, OR he got help. Hence, Smith had plenty of time to go through his progressions and even step up to throw. The result was that he was on target.

In the Indy game, according to the coaching reports, Singletary/Raye INTENTIONALLY left Davis 1-on-1 against Robert Mathis to see what he could do against one of the very best pass rushers in the game - Davis got owned and Smith very little time. The coaches wanted to evaluate where Davis was both for their own sake and for Davis'. Smith, unfortunately, did not have the time and did not look as good.

So while we all want consistency from Smith, or whoever the QB happens to be, they must have time. Last week, almost by design, Smith did not have the time he had yesterday.

As to your rating system that must include a TD, I'll just leave it that he converted on all 3 3rd downs in the key drive and is what a QB is supposed to do. The fact Davis made a nice move and had good speed to get around the corner to deny Smith a chance to throw a TD pass should not lower his grade, IMO.

I think you meant Dixon. I'll take a TD any way we can get it.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by danimal:
How many TD's did he throw?

I would give Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew Brees all single game C's for solid non TD outings. Alex Smith will be no different. A solid C from me.

That's how you measure good QB play on TD passes eh

lol

Yea dude, thats exactly how I measure QB's. In fact, that is the only measure there is for me. Yep, Favre is definitely the best QB to have ever played this game

Marino?
Originally posted by WestCoast:
The pass to Delanie Walker was complete bulls**t. IT WASN'T A GOOD PASS!!!!!

if there was a defender in front of him it would've been an easy pick. IM JUST SAYIN GUYS!!!

If those passes don't get caught in the National Football League then you can't play.

Not to pick on your comment but when I read something like this it makes me think the writer doesn't watch any other team than the 49ers. If they watched the times that Reggie Wayne or Marques Colston or Larry Fitzgerald or any number of other good receivers routinely makes those kinds of catches on less-than-perfect throws, they would never write comments like that.

dude im just messing around....

I sensed the sarcasm, but in his defense, it was perhaps a little hard to tell ... because of the overall lack of sense on this board, especially in NinerTalk. Something like that said in seriousness would not be all that shocking.

"OMG DOODZ. If he trowz da bawl an Duh receever dun ketchit if it hits his handz Alecks sux cuz he dunt trow it rite! Fitz And BOLDIN n Wayne neber hafta jump to ketch passez!

Many of these receivers' claims to fame are largely BECAUSE of their frequency of making outstanding catches. For fricks sake.. Alex is hitting the open man, and people whine about the throw more than the receiver who had it hit smack dab in his palms and dropped it. No one would be complaining if our receivers caught these on a consistent basis.

If the ball is hitting them in the hands and they're dropping it, that leads me to believe that regardless of the placement, our receivers are letting Alex down, they're letting the Team down, and letting us as fans down.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:16 PM ]
first drive -

rest of game -

Inconsistent what?

Yeeah!
Our starting QB!
Go Niners!

Goood Boooy!

you see?? we can get along....

Totally respect the Objective people like you and Bill in the ACP, (apparently we will get a warning for saying hater now lol).

Now we just need consistency from Alex and webzone can be a happy place full of sunshine and butterflies
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

if there was a defender in front of him it would've been an easy pick. IM JUST SAYIN GUYS!!!

If those passes don't get caught in the National Football League then you can't play.

Not to pick on your comment but when I read something like this it makes me think the writer doesn't watch any other team than the 49ers. If they watched the times that Reggie Wayne or Marques Colston or Larry Fitzgerald or any number of other good receivers routinely makes those kinds of catches on less-than-perfect throws, they would never write comments like that.

I sensed the sarcasm, but in his defense, it was perhaps a little hard to tell ... because of the overall lack of sense on this board, especially in NinerTalk. Something like that said in seriousness would not be all that shocking.

"OMG DOODZ. If he trowz da bawl an Duh receever dun ketchit if it hits his handz Alecks sux cuz he dunt trow it rite! Fitz And BOLDIN n Wayne neber hafta jump to ketch passez!

Many of these receivers' claims to fame are largely BECAUSE of their frequency of making outstanding catches. For fricks sake.. Alex is hitting the open man, and people whine about the throw more than the receiver who had it hit smack dab in his palms and dropped it. No one would be complaining if our receivers caught these on a consistent basis.

If you actually look at the "SUPER HIGH" throw to Ted Ginn, the ball had to be placed there cuz there was a LB leaping to get a hand on it. So yea, the haters will turn anything around.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
First drive - A
Rest of game - C+

Overall - B

this

If you actually look at the "SUPER HIGH" throw to Ted Ginn, the ball had to be placed there cuz there was a LB leaping to get a hand on it. So yea, the haters will turn anything around.

Wasn't able to get my edit in quick enough before your reply, but in addition:

If the ball is hitting them in the hands and they're dropping it, what difference does it make? If they can't catch anything hitting their hands, they're dropping it regardless of placement. And as such, our receivers are letting Alex down, they're letting the Team down, and letting us as fans down.
Well after 3 pages I see now more than ever how unreasonable some fans far.

I saw some C grades. Why? What didn't Alex do that you wanted to see? Oh I know he didn't

1) Have a 100% completion day.

2) Didn't play sandlot ball.

3) Didn't get 3 scores in the short time he was on the field. Nevermind that this was a game against a top ranked Defense from last year.

Then we have Ray who many think called a bad game. Several people correctly noted that this is Preseason and you don't go to your bag of tricks or game plan this early. Draws up the Middle is what Frank is generally successful with. So doesn't it make sense to give Dixon those especially with a Rookie Line that you want to figure out who is Starting and who is riding pine? We know they can pull. We have 3 or 4 guys who excelled at that in College. But we also want them to gel. If they don't it's gonna be a long season. Get it out of the way in the Preseason if you can and they should have a head start on it to open.

Point is that if we're successful on Draws and Passing with 2nd, 3rd and 4th teamers then we should have better success when our Starters are on the field.

I give both a solid B for having a reasonable game against a top ranked D, with little in the way of injuries to show for it and nothing of the game plan was shown for our Division rivals to pour through in advance.

If we're still seeing this stuff going deep into the season I'll be miffed. But right now it's solid. No QB is going to be 100%. Especially against a tough Defensive Opponent. So giving Smith anything less than a B- is a joke imho. He missed how many passes and threw how many? Yet he did what was expected of him. Imho, since it's expected he doesn't get an A. But since he did it he deserves a solid B.

That's all we can reasonably ask. If you think otherwise, well IMHO you're being unreasonable and have already made your mind up long ago and wouldn't give him a solid grade based on realistic expectations.

Maybe I should have read further but I think the tone was set by page 3.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Aug 23, 2010 at 1:29 PM ]

Wasn't able to get my edit in quick enough before your reply, but in addition:

If the ball is hitting them in the hands and they're dropping it, what difference does it make? If they can't catch anything hitting their hands, they're dropping it regardless of placement. And as such, our receivers are letting Alex down, they're letting the Team down, and letting us as fans down.

yep...and i have yet to rewatch the game but i could've sworn that nate davis overthrew his recievers about 5 times
Okay, I must go into the bathroom draw a warm tub and slit my wrists now. fly15 gave Smith a B.

~Ceadder
Member Milestone: This is post number 2,700 for DonnieDarko.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Well after 3 pages I see now more than ever how unreasonable some fans far.

I saw some C grades. Why? What didn't Alex do that you wanted to see? Oh I know he didn't

1) Have a 100% completion day.

2) Didn't play sandlot ball.

3) Didn't get 3 scores in the short time he was on the field. Nevermind that this was a game against a top ranked Defense from last year.

Then we have Ray who many think called a bad game. Several people correctly noted that this is Preseason and you don't go to your bag of tricks or game plan this early. Draws up the Middle is what Frank is generally successful with. So doesn't it make sense to give Dixon those especially with a Rookie Line that you want to figure out who is Starting and who is riding pine? We know they can pull. We have 3 or 4 guys who excelled at that in College. But we also want them to gel. If they don't it's gonna be a long season. Get it out of the way in the Preseason if you can and they should have a head start on it to open.

Point is that if we're successful on Draws and Passing with 2nd, 3rd and 4th teamers then we should have better success when our Starters are on the field.

I give both a solid B for having a reasonable game against a top ranked D, with little in the way of injuries to show for it and nothing of the game plan was shown for our Division rivals to pour through in advance.

If we're still seeing this stuff going deep into the season I'll be miffed. But right now it's solid. No QB is going to be 100%. Especially against a tough Defensive Opponent. So giving Smith anything less than a B- is a joke imho. He missed how many passes and threw how many? Yet he did what was expected of him. Imho, since it's expected he doesn't get an A. But since he did it he deserves a solid B.

That's all we can reasonably ask. If you think otherwise, well IMHO you're being unreasonable and have already made your mind up long ago and wouldn't give him a solid grade based on realistic expectations.

Maybe I should have read further but I think the tone was set by page 3.

~Ceadder

you forgot to add that smith didn't solve unemployment and aids
Share 49ersWebzone