Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Smith calling out VD and Crabs.

That's like Rosie O'Donnell calling out Giselle Bundchen at a fashion show.

Now, now Shaj. Let's not upset the natives.

says the man who said Alex didn't have one good game all last season.

Look, we get it you guys despise, loathe, deplore Alex Smith.

But here is the little fact that none of you "realist" seem to understand. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE GIVES A s**t!

For the love of all that is good, give it a rest already, you guys are worse than the IRS. You never take a day off, not even on holidays with your anti-Smith campaign. And for what? Is it for some greater good that you must perpetually rain on others parades? Do you think your point hasn't been made loud and clear at this point?

There is absolutely nothing new that can be said at this point, so lets have a cease fire shall we? When the games matter again we will all have our answer(s). And all this bluster will be rendered meaningless, as if it weren't already. Until then, please, relax a little, its a long off season and this s**t just makes it even longer.

for the first few years after Smith got drafted, esp in year 1, skeptics like me, ZRF80, and Billl were treated like gays at an Islamic press conference in Iran. Now that we are unfortunately and regrettably villified, we're being told to keep our traps shut again, while people get excited that Smith is doing something in his 5th year that Sanchez probably did in pre-season last year with his WR's, before his first NFL snap?

You just proved my point again from a different thread. Thanks for being honest at least. You, and the other guys who were negative from the beginning feel slighted and abused (I.e. you have become emotionally invested in Smith's failure - and by extension, the team when he starts) So you use your time on the board to build yourselves up for your perceived genius. If Smith does something to prove you wrong, you attack immediately.

That is fine bro, if that is how you want to play it, but please stop saying that you guys are the ones who are "realists", logical or any such thing. It is all about YOU, not the 49ers.

Oh, and I think the word you wanted was vindicated, not vilified.

I did mean to say vindicated, lol. But it's not about me, but if that's what you want to believe, go for it! I'd much rather just see this team succeed.

What I found funny about Alex calling out VD and Crabs is in order to effectively call someone out, you need to be in a position of respect. Respect doesn't come by title (QB, in this case). Respect is earned. In the NFL, respect comes from demonstrated performance on the field. VD and Crabs have done that. Alex has not. It'd be like some journeyman LB on the Ravens calling out Ray Lewis. Not gonna happen. That's what I find funny. You can make this about me if you want though.

that IS funny, because isn't that basically what Smith was saying?

My reading of his comments is just that he's saying "we've got a lot of hype, we're expected to do big things this year, but if we're not all here we can't make that happen, so we can't take it as a given." IDK, I don't think its that big of a deal. The fact is that he's a smart dude and I think, no matter what else you can say about him, he's always seemed like someone who understands the team concept, his place in it. He's always seemed like a good teammate, if nothing else.

ok, those are fair comments. Maybe I'm getting thrown off by the thread title here.

yeah, the thread title makes me think that Alex is paying his dues for going to some Tijuana whore house in the offseason.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Didn't we WANT Alex to be MORE VOCAL & to SHOW LEADERSHIP? Now that it seems that he is TAKING THAT NEXT STEP, "Fans" are STILL b***hing.

Alex wants to continue to get that work in VD & Crabz & that's great. But if they aren't 100% then I don't wanna risk further injury. BTW IT'S F--KIN PRESEASON!!!!!!

i know , now that he is more vocal and taking the position of a leader the haters keep b***hing..

But here is the little fact that none of you "realist" seem to understand. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE GIVES A s**t!

For the love of all that is good, give it a rest already, you guys are worse than the IRS. You never take a day off, not even on holidays with your anti-Smith campaign. And for what? Is it for some greater good that you must perpetually rain on others parades? Do you think your point hasn't been made loud and clear at this point?

There is absolutely nothing new that can be said at this point, so lets have a cease fire shall we? When the games matter again we will all have our answer(s). And all this bluster will be rendered meaningless, as if it weren't already. Until then, please, relax a little, its a long off season and this s**t just makes it even longer.

for the first few years after Smith got drafted, esp in year 1, skeptics like me, ZRF80, and Billl were treated like gays at an Islamic press conference in Iran. Now that we are unfortunately and regrettably villified, we're being told to keep our traps shut again, while people get excited that Smith is doing something in his 5th year that Sanchez probably did in pre-season last year with his WR's, before his first NFL snap?

Yes, until something actually happens. All the back and forth between the two sides on what has happened in the past is irrelevant. The few who try and forewarn others about what is going to happen? Foolish. They do not know what is going to happen this season, same as me or you. Its much ado about nothing, because what happens when you are proven wrong? You and the like sheepishly admit how you were wrong in the gameday thread with a "Go Niners " at the, and then all is forgiven?

You are polluting the board, there is nothing anyone can do to change your mind, not even Alex Smith himself. Anything positive he accomplished last year is quickly dismissed, with a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude, and a heavy dose of revisionist history (see: b, billbird). All the positive steps this offseason brushed off with a simple "Don't tell me. Show me" (he IS showing you!), or a "Yeah, he does it in (insert OTAs/Mini/Training Camp)." Of course you harp on every negative thing he does, then don't understand why people are irritated at the double standard.

When the regular season starts, if, if, Alex struggles you will be completely justified to shout from the rooftops your disappointment, with as much anger and vitriol as you can muster. But, until then considering the fact that it is proven there is nothing Alex can do to change your mind, please, do us all a favor and step down from the soapbox.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by danimal:
I don't think Alex has ever really had any command of this team. With his personality, only superior play would have gained him a General role. So he has 2 strikes against him. He has never really played lights out, and is pretty passive.

And I totally agree with his comments, but when the public gets to hear comments like that, it means he is losing his team even more, not gaining them.

Please explain how this is true?

It's not,these clowns are trying to grasp onto anything they can.

The haters- a sad part of our society

whah whah whah

Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I personally would just like him to start playing better instead acting like he's growing a pair.

+1

Freaking double standards. You guys complain about how he's not being a leader and then when he does you guys just say "oh he's not a good quarterback so that doesn't even mean anything."

Everyone on this board would like to see him play better (if they didn't I would question their fanhood). His play has been discussed ad nauseam. This thread has nothing to do with how he's played, it has to do with a specific quote. Why can't we just analyze the quote on it's own merits without bringing in something not related to the question at hand to deligitimize it?

Was he calling out Crabtree and VD or was he not? This is the question, not "Do you think Alex Smith is or ever will be a winning quarterback?"

In my opinion he was not calling out his players he was just expressing a concern and wishing they would be back soon. But if he was calling the players out I'm sure the players are aware of this and it's probably well deserved.

Unfortunately, you cannot be considered a team leader unless you're a key player or a respected veteran, both of which Smith isn't. People who criticize Smith for not being a team leader are essentially saying he hasn't shown enough on the field...those things go hand in hand. You only become a team leader (at his age) if you're battle tested. So when there's a question of whether or not Smith is calling out VD and Crabtree, you have to consider Smith's merits.

FWIW, I don't really think he's calling anyone out either. Those guys aren't taking TC off, they're legitimately hurt. I also agree with what Smith said...VD and Crabs can't talk about how good the team is and how many weapons we have...they have to actually go out and execute. Funny thing is, the brunt of that burden falls more on Smith than the other two...and I'm sure he knows that.

All this being said, nobody is gonna look at him like a true leader until, as Rex Ryan would put it, his nuts drop and he starts playing like a champ.

Consider if it was Frank Gore who made this comment...nobody would question the source because he's earned that right by being a Pro-Bowl RB for us.
Leadership is also practicing what you preach. But, that's a lot to ask of a failure like Alex.
i dont think hes calling them out he is saying we need to practice together to play better is he wrong to say this? if people think he is plz you guys have no idea not just about football but any sports what so ever

Yes, until something actually happens. All the back and forth between the two sides on what has happened in the past is irrelevant. The few who try and forewarn others about what is going to happen? Foolish. They do not know what is going to happen this season, same as me or you. Its much ado about nothing, because what happens when you are proven wrong? You and the like sheepishly admit how you were wrong in the gameday thread with a "Go Niners " at the, and then all is forgiven?

You are polluting the board, there is nothing anyone can do to change your mind, not even Alex Smith himself. Anything positive he accomplished last year is quickly dismissed, with a "what have you done for me lately?" attitude, and a heavy dose of revisionist history (see: b, billbird). All the positive steps this offseason brushed off with a simple "Don't tell me. Show me" (he IS showing you!), or a "Yeah, he does it in (insert OTAs/Mini/Training Camp)." Of course you harp on every negative thing he does, then don't understand why people are irritated at the double standard.

When the regular season starts, if, if, Alex struggles you will be completely justified to shout from the rooftops your disappointment, with as much anger and vitriol as you can muster. But, until then considering the fact that it is proven there is nothing Alex can do to change your mind, please, do us all a favor and step down from the soapbox.

WELL SAID
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Super5:

WELL SAID

WELL SAID
I personally would just like him to start playing better instead acting like he's growing a pair.

+1

Freaking double standards. You guys complain about how he's not being a leader and then when he does you guys just say "oh he's not a good quarterback so that doesn't even mean anything."

Everyone on this board would like to see him play better (if they didn't I would question their fanhood). His play has been discussed ad nauseam. This thread has nothing to do with how he's played, it has to do with a specific quote. Why can't we just analyze the quote on it's own merits without bringing in something not related to the question at hand to deligitimize it?

Was he calling out Crabtree and VD or was he not? This is the question, not "Do you think Alex Smith is or ever will be a winning quarterback?"

In my opinion he was not calling out his players he was just expressing a concern and wishing they would be back soon. But if he was calling the players out I'm sure the players are aware of this and it's probably well deserved.

Unfortunately, you cannot be considered a team leader unless you're a key player or a respected veteran, both of which Smith isn't. People who criticize Smith for not being a team leader are essentially saying he hasn't shown enough on the field...those things go hand in hand. You only become a team leader (at his age) if you're battle tested. So when there's a question of whether or not Smith is calling out VD and Crabtree, you have to consider Smith's merits.

FWIW, I don't really think he's calling anyone out either. Those guys aren't taking TC off, they're legitimately hurt. I also agree with what Smith said...VD and Crabs can't talk about how good the team is and how many weapons we have...they have to actually go out and execute. Funny thing is, the brunt of that burden falls more on Smith than the other two...and I'm sure he knows that.

All this being said, nobody is gonna look at him like a true leader until, as Rex Ryan would put it, his nuts drop and he starts playing like a champ.

Consider if it was Frank Gore who made this comment...nobody would question the source because he's earned that right by being a Pro-Bowl RB for us.

I agree with your statements about leadership being won on the field and not just by words without backing it up on the football field. That's the way it should be. All this discussion is moot until Alex goes out and either shows he can be a competent and winning quarterback or he can't.

But I just feel that people have always criticized hm for his "sideline demeanor" and saying that he's not a "ra ra" quarterback and isn't terribly demonstrative and what not yet when he shows a little more personality people discredit that as well. Again, I agree with you that being a leader by being good is the best kind of leadership, but I don't think that philosophy is true for many 'zoners as I've observed from my years as an active member.

We all know that Smith has not exactly lived up to expectations on the football field because of whatever reasons you choose to believe (never ever had what it takes, ruined by Nolan, not enough supporting cast, Eric Heirman blah blah blah). But the fact that Smith has been more demonstrative and has been trying to take more ownership of the team is definitely a positive development and shouldn't be discredited. Not every confident person is successful but every successful person has confidence. I'm glad to see his showing more confidence. Now go out and win.

+1

+1
Never cared for smith....expected him to fail. I suspect he will not be on the team next season.

I think what he said is 100 % correct.

Jerry rice and Steve young said the same sort of stuff about each other .

NFL players know this....smith,rice,young .....whoever.....they say this stuff to set our expectations.
Is someone's bias obscuring one's ability to recall the past accurately? Shaj denigrated Alex for allegedly calling out Vernon and Crabtree (which I do not think he did.) Shaj contended that he had no right to do so because Davis and Crabtree produced while Alex had not.

What??? Who threw the TD passes to Vernon? For every Alex mistake, I can also recall Vernon and Crabtree dropping catchable passes. And I also recall all the maddening times when Vernon would move before the snap = penalty.

Really another freaking Alex Smith debate....the season has started!!!!! Support your QB and Team...this is absolutely ridiculous....every other thread it turns into this BS