Not a member? Register Now!

Is Alex calling out VD and Crabs

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Smith calling out VD and Crabs.

That's like Rosie O'Donnell calling out Giselle Bundchen at a fashion show.

Now, now Shaj. Let's not upset the natives.

says the man who said Alex didn't have one good game all last season.

Look, we get it you guys despise, loathe, deplore Alex Smith.

But here is the little fact that none of you "realist" seem to understand. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE GIVES A s**t!

For the love of all that is good, give it a rest already, you guys are worse than the IRS. You never take a day off, not even on holidays with your anti-Smith campaign. And for what? Is it for some greater good that you must perpetually rain on others parades? Do you think your point hasn't been made loud and clear at this point?

There is absolutely nothing new that can be said at this point, so lets have a cease fire shall we? When the games matter again we will all have our answer(s). And all this bluster will be rendered meaningless, as if it weren't already. Until then, please, relax a little, its a long off season and this s**t just makes it even longer.

for the first few years after Smith got drafted, esp in year 1, skeptics like me, ZRF80, and Billl were treated like gays at an Islamic press conference in Iran. Now that we are unfortunately and regrettably villified, we're being told to keep our traps shut again, while people get excited that Smith is doing something in his 5th year that Sanchez probably did in pre-season last year with his WR's, before his first NFL snap?

Okay everyone shhhh, we need to be more respectful of the Gay Islamic Anti Smith Fanatics.

Hey Shaj, do you mind if I organize a donation fund to throw you guys a pity party?

We'll all throw our #11 herseys on the bonfire and sing ABBA tunes and in toast your Genius of drafts and well, you don't mind if we invite the OLine and Receiver Corps that helped make everything possible do you? That would be so neat to see them patting you on your back(you know where you want them to pat you) giving you congratulations and asking you to apply to replace their dimwitted coaches.

Cause nothing says more about you than your fanaticism about Smith.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay Shaj.

I say all of the above tongue in cheek mind you.

~Ceadder

GIASF lol
I've always been an Alex supporter, but I agree with the critics that this should be handled in house. This sounds like he is setting up excuses in case he falters his first game. No matter how legitimate they may be. As much as I like Alex, this is one of those things in qbs I hate seeing.

He should just get with who is playing and make them better players while he can. Build a rapport with them that np one will see coming. Calling people out in the media is never a good thing. I understand his frustration, but its a sign of concern certainly that he would go public.
Alex needs to play like a competent QB before he has the right to call out anyone for anything.
Only problem Alex supporters have with ZRF80 and those guys, is that they seem happy they have been right so far in Alex disappointing career.
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I personally would just like him to start playing better instead acting like he's growing a pair.

+1
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I personally would just like him to start playing better instead acting like he's growing a pair.

+1

Freaking double standards. You guys complain about how he's not being a leader and then when he does you guys just say "oh he's not a good quarterback so that doesn't even mean anything."

Everyone on this board would like to see him play better (if they didn't I would question their fanhood). His play has been discussed ad nauseam. This thread has nothing to do with how he's played, it has to do with a specific quote. Why can't we just analyze the quote on it's own merits without bringing in something not related to the question at hand to deligitimize it?

Was he calling out Crabtree and VD or was he not? This is the question, not "Do you think Alex Smith is or ever will be a winning quarterback?"

In my opinion he was not calling out his players he was just expressing a concern and wishing they would be back soon. But if he was calling the players out I'm sure the players are aware of this and it's probably well deserved.
He is right. Who disagrees that they need to put in work to improve?

[ Edited by Kilgore_Trout on Aug 19, 2010 at 18:56:49 ]
i don't think he's necessarily calling them out, I think he's speaking the truth and exhibiting the kind of accountability that everyone on this team should practice. I'm sure this has been a major focus of Singletarys--accountability--and usually once a coach has established his system and outlook on the team the players themselves start to parrot what the coach is preaching. I think that's all that's happening here. I think its more of a good sign than a troubling one.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dtcomposer:

But here is the little fact that none of you "realist" seem to understand. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE GIVES A s**t!

For the love of all that is good, give it a rest already, you guys are worse than the IRS. You never take a day off, not even on holidays with your anti-Smith campaign. And for what? Is it for some greater good that you must perpetually rain on others parades? Do you think your point hasn't been made loud and clear at this point?

There is absolutely nothing new that can be said at this point, so lets have a cease fire shall we? When the games matter again we will all have our answer(s). And all this bluster will be rendered meaningless, as if it weren't already. Until then, please, relax a little, its a long off season and this s**t just makes it even longer.

for the first few years after Smith got drafted, esp in year 1, skeptics like me, ZRF80, and Billl were treated like gays at an Islamic press conference in Iran. Now that we are unfortunately and regrettably villified, we're being told to keep our traps shut again, while people get excited that Smith is doing something in his 5th year that Sanchez probably did in pre-season last year with his WR's, before his first NFL snap?

You just proved my point again from a different thread. Thanks for being honest at least. You, and the other guys who were negative from the beginning feel slighted and abused (I.e. you have become emotionally invested in Smith's failure - and by extension, the team when he starts) So you use your time on the board to build yourselves up for your perceived genius. If Smith does something to prove you wrong, you attack immediately.

That is fine bro, if that is how you want to play it, but please stop saying that you guys are the ones who are "realists", logical or any such thing. It is all about YOU, not the 49ers.

Oh, and I think the word you wanted was vindicated, not vilified.

I did mean to say vindicated, lol. But it's not about me, but if that's what you want to believe, go for it! I'd much rather just see this team succeed.

What I found funny about Alex calling out VD and Crabs is in order to effectively call someone out, you need to be in a position of respect. Respect doesn't come by title (QB, in this case). Respect is earned. In the NFL, respect comes from demonstrated performance on the field. VD and Crabs have done that. Alex has not. It'd be like some journeyman LB on the Ravens calling out Ray Lewis. Not gonna happen. That's what I find funny. You can make this about me if you want though.

You just proved my point again from a different thread. Thanks for being honest at least. You, and the other guys who were negative from the beginning feel slighted and abused (I.e. you have become emotionally invested in Smith's failure - and by extension, the team when he starts) So you use your time on the board to build yourselves up for your perceived genius. If Smith does something to prove you wrong, you attack immediately.

That is fine bro, if that is how you want to play it, but please stop saying that you guys are the ones who are "realists", logical or any such thing. It is all about YOU, not the 49ers.

I did mean to say vindicated, lol. But it's not about me, but if that's what you want to believe, go for it! I'd much rather just see this team succeed.

What I found funny about Alex calling out VD and Crabs is in order to effectively call someone out, you need to be in a position of respect. Respect doesn't come by title (QB, in this case). Respect is earned. In the NFL, respect comes from demonstrated performance on the field. VD and Crabs have done that. Alex has not. It'd be like some journeyman LB on the Ravens calling out Ray Lewis. Not gonna happen. That's what I find funny. You can make this about me if you want though.

that IS funny, because isn't that basically what Smith was saying?

My reading of his comments is just that he's saying "we've got a lot of hype, we're expected to do big things this year, but if we're not all here we can't make that happen, so we can't take it as a given." IDK, I don't think its that big of a deal. The fact is that he's a smart dude and I think, no matter what else you can say about him, he's always seemed like someone who understands the team concept, his place in it. He's always seemed like a good teammate, if nothing else.

Are you exaggerating to get your point across? Because Alex although his performance hasn't exactly been stellar he is the undisputed starter at this point so he will have a lot more respect than some "journeyman LB" as you say. Also VD and Crabtree although very good and very promising respectively haven't proven to be nearly the caliber of player that a Ray Lewis is who was considered the best ILB in the game for a very long time and one of the best if not the best defensive player in the league during this time.

EDIT: and what hessian said

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Aug 19, 2010 at 19:10:06 ]

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Aug 19, 2010 at 19:09:45 ]
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:

that IS funny, because isn't that basically what Smith was saying?

My reading of his comments is just that he's saying "we've got a lot of hype, we're expected to do big things this year, but if we're not all here we can't make that happen, so we can't take it as a given." IDK, I don't think its that big of a deal. The fact is that he's a smart dude and I think, no matter what else you can say about him, he's always seemed like someone who understands the team concept, his place in it. He's always seemed like a good teammate, if nothing else.

ok, those are fair comments. Maybe I'm getting thrown off by the thread title here.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Didn't we WANT Alex to be MORE VOCAL & to SHOW LEADERSHIP? Now that it seems that he is TAKING THAT NEXT STEP, "Fans" are STILL b***hing.

Alex wants to continue to get that work in VD & Crabz & that's great. But if they aren't 100% then I don't wanna risk further injury. BTW IT'S F--KIN PRESEASON!!!!!!
I'm really tired of all the talk Smith has been doing and tired of all the reporters complimenting how he's taken control of the huddle. The only talking I want him doing is on the field. "Don't tell me show me!" As our coach says.