There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All Eyes On Nate Davis

I am one of many who want to see Nate light it up on the vikes. I am tired of hearing announcers speak of his dyslexia like he is the village idiot. I don't think the 9er coaches are that sold on him either. What are you going to do with a guy who does not have the playbook memorized and yet completes the vast majority of his passes (on target) and drives the team to touchdowns because he is extremely gifted with a "feel for the game" and instincts very few other quarterbacks seem to have?
Originally posted by joebbadass:
I am one of many who want to see Nate light it up on the vikes. I am tired of hearing announcers speak of his dyslexia like he is the village idiot. I don't think the 9er coaches are that sold on him either. What are you going to do with a guy who does not have the playbook memorized and yet completes the vast majority of his passes (on target) and drives the team to touchdowns because he is extremely gifted with a "feel for the game" and instincts very few other quarterbacks seem to have?

His play against the cowboys last year alone got my support

You put him and let him grow, no
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I wish him well. The only way he'll get experience is to play and not ride the pine. The pre-season games will shine a light on his talents and short-comings. From what little I've seen of him, he can deliver the ball better than anyone we currently have. But there is much more to being a QB than the ability to throw. Jamarcus Russell could throw 60 yards on his knees - but couldn't complete. Vick can run and throw well but is not a top QB otherwise Kolb wouldn't be starting.

I hope Davis shines like the sun and takes a big step forward. I support Alex but this is it! Make or break time. He either does it or he doesn't. And if he doesn't, it would be great to have someone ready to step in and take over - with out waiting a year to draft another prospect.

I wish that were true. There will be no less than 5 highly touted excuses here if Smith doesn't do well in 2010, regardless of the circumstances.

I don't think so Shaj. I think just about everyone on this board seems to know this is the year for Smith. He bombs, he's gone.

On paper I agree with you. In practice, I'm very skeptical. I agree with what ZRF80 said in some other post; I miss the old school fan mindset that was intolerant of this kind of perennial BS at the QB position.

I've said it before, the coaches at Ball State put him behind center for a series or two per game early in his freshman year to help him learn the plays. As he learned more, he got more playing time until he took over the starting job at about midway through the season. That's not to say the Niners should be switching out QBs in the middle of a game, but to say that Nate actually learns quite quickly when he's out on the field. I don't know if he'll light it up, but I do think only good things can come out of this as he'll actually be on the field in a game (albeit pre-season) setting so that he can learn things better, however brief they might leave him out there.

And if people can feel good about Alex going, what was it, 3 for 9 and a single digit passer rating, then Nate should be fine
dude played crappy last preseason.

Don't expect much.

Dude doesn't know the system just yet.
Maybe we can give GB a call and get rodgers to come to san fran were he belongs i never wanted alex but support him as long as he shows heart
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
dude played crappy last preseason.

Don't expect much.

Dude doesn't know the system just yet.

i think he played well in preseason that cowboy win was a good one to me
This seems like the makings of a legitimate QB controversy. Does anyone think Smith will tear it up against the Vikes D? Davis is little bit of an unknown but i see him outplaying Smith Sunday as long as he doesn't try to force to much
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
This seems like the makings of a legitimate QB controversy. Does anyone think Smith will tear it up against the Vikes D? Davis is little bit of an unknown but i see him outplaying Smith Sunday as long as he doesn't try to force to much

when has smith tore up anything? lol
Originally posted by 49ersrgolden:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:

when has smith tore up anything? lol

2nd half of the Texans' and Packers' games...
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Good luck Nate!!!!
Originally posted by English:
It'll be interesting.

very
Hope he lights up, 150 yards 2 TD's
He's looked really good against scrubs, hopefully he can take it to the next level. I have high hopes for Davis.