Originally posted by 49ERGLENN:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I don't know how people are going to try and defend a guy that won't even put in the time in the off season to improve himself. One thing I cannot abide is a guy getting paid millions of dollars that will not work for it. This is disturbing news for me, I would have thought he would take a chance at a career in the NFL a little more serious.

I cannot like a guy got paid millions and can't play qb , like Alex Smith ! even if he puts in hundreds of hours in the offseason !

Why are you taking it personally? Smith has nothing to do with Nate's work ethic.
Great, more Alexcuses

Whether you like it or not, Alex Smith is your starting QB! We live by Alex or Die by Alex, it's that simple! Davis is not even in the mix to start this year, 3rd string holding the clipboard and hopefully learning the playbook? I know reality in the WZ sucks doesn't it?

You're totally right, and I agree, Alex is our qb. Davis will probably never be the starter for our team, and its ok. We'll just have to wait and see AGAIN. 8-8??

By the way, are you GLENN coffee??

Nope no Coffee for me, I drink Tea! And I go back to the 49ers all the way to the 40's as the old vets on here can tell you! I've seen em all, Title, Brodie, Scott Bull(UGH), DeBerg, JOEY, STEVIE, and now Alex! Nate has talent but lacks continuity that Sing is talking about in recognizing what the situation calls for and how to implement it! It takes a hell of a lot more than flinging a football 65 yards in the air. You need to recognize and defeat defensive schemes and know what scheme on your offensive plan does just that. Davis had some good moments but many more not so good. He flat out misses reads on his receivers but at this stage of the game that is to be expected. In a couple of years who knows, he could become the next Joe or Steve? Only time will tell but right now he is a work in progress.

My hat off to you sir
I don't know how people are going to try and defend a guy that won't even put in the time in the off season to improve himself. One thing I cannot abide is a guy getting paid millions of dollars that will not work for it. This is disturbing news for me, I would have thought he would take a chance at a career in the NFL a little more serious.

I cannot like a guy got paid millions and can't play qb , like Alex Smith ! even if he puts in hundreds of hours in the offseason !

Why are you taking it personally? Smith has nothing to do with Nate's work ethic.
Great, more Alexcuses

Whether you like it or not, Alex Smith is your starting QB! We live by Alex or Die by Alex, it's that simple! Davis is not even in the mix to start this year, 3rd string holding the clipboard and hopefully learning the playbook? I know reality in the WZ sucks doesn't it?

You're totally right, and I agree, Alex is our qb. Davis will probably never be the starter for our team, and its ok. We'll just have to wait and see AGAIN. 8-8??

Nope no Coffee for me, I drink Tea! And I go back to the 49ers all the way to the 40's as the old vets on here can tell you! I've seen em all, Title, Brodie, Scott Bull(UGH), DeBerg, JOEY, STEVIE, and now Alex! Nate has talent but lacks continuity that Sing is talking about in recognizing what the situation calls for and how to implement it! It takes a hell of a lot more than flinging a football 65 yards in the air. You need to recognize and defeat defensive schemes and know what scheme on your offensive plan does just that. Davis had some good moments but many more not so good. He flat out misses reads on his receivers but at this stage of the game that is to be expected. In a couple of years who knows, he could become the next Joe or Steve? Only time will tell but right now he is a work in progress.

My hat off to you sir

49erGlenn is one of the OG in this board... Best RECOGNIZE!

Originally posted by kidash:

Great, more Alexcuses

My hat off to you sir

Thanks Oliver, hope you and the family are well?
Originally posted by kidash:

Great, more Alexcuses

My hat off to you sir

Thanks Oliver, hope you and the family are well?

all good, big guy... We actually made the tailgate yesterday with the little one! Check out her pics @ the Parking Lot thread..

when I was at frank gore's birthday party i saw nate davis sitting in the corner studying his playbook...while alex smith was out on the dance floor doing the macarena...obviously nate should start
Originally posted by hofer36:
when I was at frank gore's birthday party i saw nate davis sitting in the corner studying his playbook...while alex smith was out on the dance floor doing the macarena...obviously nate should start

LIAR!!! Alex was doing the pop, lock and drop fool!
Originally posted by Shaj:
I can't believe how the media is bashing Nate Davis. I'm thinking they are following Sing's lead instead of doing independent analysis. I expected to hear something like "Davis shows tremendous instinct and downfield capability, while showing he has lots of work to do in getting his game down." Where's the love for some of the awesome passes he threw (two of which were dropped)?

I observed that as well. They are judging him way too harshly. The media feedback just comes off negative. To have Nate playing defense is ridiculous. Sing is an amazing motivator and his determination is remarkable but should stick to defense because his knack for picking up offensive talent when its right under his nose and giving positive feedback when its due is non existent and has been since he got here. Its like he picks up the morning paper and scribbles on his index cards. Don't drop it all on Nate, he did well.The same guy who tried to move Isaac Bruce down the depth chart, no he did.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He doesn't even know the offense and doesn't study or work hard in the offseason... Plus he was largely inconsistent in preseason game #2. He had one big bomb he connected on. Other than that where was the consistency? There were plenty of bad throws in there.

You guys are dreaming if you think he is ready to play now. This season sinks and swims on Alex Smith.

Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Davis played well but he did alot of things that you guys would knock Alex on...

OK, I'm not saying he's ready to play now. But let's put this in perspective here. He was inconsistent, yes. But he also made some very, very nice throws. He didn't make any bad decisions with his throws. He looked very good in some plays, and made a couple of bad throws. He was average.

That, to me, sounds an awful like what the so called Alex Smith haters say about Alex Smith. I am one of those that am not a big fan of Smith (though I thought he played very well yesterday). The perspective part is this. Smith has been in the league for a number of years now. Smith has experience being a starter. Smith gets the majority of the reps in practice, and gets the first team reps in the preseason.

Davis is in his second year, got very few reps at all in last year's training camp, saw some preseason play time late in games against lower level competition last year, spent the season playing defense on the scout team, and spent this training camp still getting only third string reps. Yet you can describe his performance in much the same manner as you can describe many of Smith's performances.

What I saw last night was not a great half from Davis. But I've seen worse halves from starting QBs in the league. Smith just had one a week ago. Davis was mostly average with a couple of bad throws, and some really good throws. Considering the amount of reps he actually gets, I'd say that average performance was pretty damn nice.

How do we know he didnt work hard? He barely touches the ball in practice. What kinda analysis are these lames doing. Make him a number two, help develop his play and technique instead of bringing in journeyman and all this Nate bashing wouldnt be happening.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by 5280High:
It seems that people are perceiving everything Davis did based off their viewpoint on another QB.

Davis' problems stem from his lack of commitment during the offseason. The reason why Alex is still on this team (regardless of your view of him) is due to his work ethic, no one can point to him and say he hasn't tried, despite whatever views of his talent maybe.

Davis has had a year now to get his nose in the playbook and learn it up and down, but he hasn't, he's waited to training camp to work his ass off. This isn't a college final, you can't just cram two weeks before to play an NFL QB. If he had shown this commitment to learning, then he would be the #2 right now without any question.

He makes great plays when plays break down... but how much of those plays break down cause he doesn't make the right reads, or doesn't read the defense correctly and holds onto the ball? He also threw high and inaccurate this game... a trait we know all to well. He hung receivers out to dry and it costs us Byham for the rest of the game and possibly the next game. If he commits himself he can easily compete with Alex for the starting job, but he hasn't yet, so to use an argument I've heard recently... If he hasnt done it yet, why do you think that would change?

Wait a minute. You have no proof what so ever of Davis' alleged lack of commitment. Moreover, it has taken Alex just as long if not longer to command the playbook and he has had far more actual reps to do so.

And although I agree with you that Davis was off the mark wit some of his passes, I know that you are not trying to compare his accuracy with Smith's whose inaccuracy is the reason why Crabtree was injured and not playing. Even Davis' pass to Bynum was partially off because Bynum slowed down after making his cut.

Bottom line, you are misrepresenting Davis .

exactly. Seems like a handful actually watched the game for what it was and not for what the media wants it to be.

Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
It seems that people are perceiving everything Davis did based off their viewpoint on another QB.

Davis' problems stem from his lack of commitment during the offseason. The reason why Alex is still on this team (regardless of your view of him) is due to his work ethic, no one can point to him and say he hasn't tried, despite whatever views of his talent maybe.

Davis has had a year now to get his nose in the playbook and learn it up and down, but he hasn't, he's waited to training camp to work his ass off. This isn't a college final, you can't just cram two weeks before to play an NFL QB. If he had shown this commitment to learning, then he would be the #2 right now without any question.

He makes great plays when plays break down... but how much of those plays break down cause he doesn't make the right reads, or doesn't read the defense correctly and holds onto the ball? He also threw high and inaccurate this game... a trait we know all to well. He hung receivers out to dry and it costs us Byham for the rest of the game and possibly the next game. If he commits himself he can easily compete with Alex for the starting job, but he hasn't yet, so to use an argument I've heard recently... If he hasnt done it yet, why do you think that would change?

Wait a minute. You have no proof what so ever of Davis' alleged lack of commitment. Moreover, it has taken Alex just as long if not longer to command the playbook and he has had far more actual reps to do so.

And although I agree with you that Davis was off the mark wit some of his passes, I know that you are not trying to compare his accuracy with Smith's whose inaccuracy is the reason why Crabtree was injured and not playing. Even Davis' pass to Bynum was partially off because Bynum slowed down after making his cut.

exactly. Seems like a handful actually watched the game for what it was and not for what the media wants it to be.

so we are going to blame smith for crabtree's injury, a pass in practice that Im sure no one posting here saw...but nate byham got hisself injured and it wasnt davis pass leading him too much into a defender....OK

btw, even the great qb throw passes where their wr has to make a leap or a dive or some other effort to catch the ball

More like some are pushing an agenda and refuse to accept reality.

More like some are pushing an agenda and refuse to accept reality.

People can have a difference of opinion without having an agenda to push.

What is being debated is not reality but different peoples perceptions. Only credible arguments or evidence can grant that perception validity. Some folks can honestly see Nate leaving his receivers hung out to dry, while some can honestly perceive it as the receivers not making the tough catch.

In this game, Nate seemed to do what Alex Smith has been accused of doing which is throwing balls high. I think he did but, he still had some real beauties and shown that he has 1st round physical talent and a feel for the game.

Right or wrong, Singletary made his displeasure publicly known. Davis better get with Mike Johnson and cram all season long to know the ins and outs of the scheme.
Share 49ersWebzone