LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

All Eyes On Nate Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I've been on this bandwagon too. I feel like with Davis, he's a guy who has the ability to make things happen (so much more than when Ive watched Alex develop these past 6 years) on the field, no matter what hes faced. I see a factor that he has, and its making things happen when theres nothing happening.

Hes very smart on the field and puts his body in position to keep plays alive-like rothlisberger-but more intuitive to release the pass even when hes on the move. His abilities with comfort in the pocket and awareness are superior I think.

His release is just as quick as the best in the league, and with accurate throws that hes very capable of making, he can succeed against 1st string defenses.

Im believing in Alex having a breakout year, but Im MORE excited to hear that Davis is getting more playing time because, overall, I think Nate Davis is a better quarterback than Alex Smith

I for the most part agree, but despite how he's looked so far I do not think he is ready to start in the regular season. It has nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with his knowledge of the playbook. If you think Raye is predictable now, wait until he has to limit himself to 1/3 of his playbook.
That said, I think it is pretty clear he has some game. He seems to have the intangibles, like feeling the pocket, and making something happen after a play breaks down. He's got a nice strong and seemingly accurate arm.
I am excited to see what he can do against first stringers, but I think it's more of an audition to be the #2 qb than it is to start this year. And to see more of what we have for next year if Smith can't step up.
I agree he would be predictable if he (raye) had les playbook to use. Nate seems to have some of that brett favre knack for making a play out of nothing (so far) So I can't wait to see how that works against the 2's of the vikings.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:
I've been on this bandwagon too. I feel like with Davis, he's a guy who has the ability to make things happen (so much more than when Ive watched Alex develop these past 6 years) on the field, no matter what hes faced. I see a factor that he has, and its making things happen when theres nothing happening.

Hes very smart on the field and puts his body in position to keep plays alive-like rothlisberger-but more intuitive to release the pass even when hes on the move. His abilities with comfort in the pocket and awareness are superior I think.

His release is just as quick as the best in the league, and with accurate throws that hes very capable of making, he can succeed against 1st string defenses.

Im believing in Alex having a breakout year, but Im MORE excited to hear that Davis is getting more playing time because, overall, I think Nate Davis is a better quarterback than Alex Smith

I for the most part agree, but despite how he's looked so far I do not think he is ready to start in the regular season. It has nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with his knowledge of the playbook. If you think Raye is predictable now, wait until he has to limit himself to 1/3 of his playbook.
That said, I think it is pretty clear he has some game. He seems to have the intangibles, like feeling the pocket, and making something happen after a play breaks down. He's got a nice strong and seemingly accurate arm.
I am excited to see what he can do against first stringers, but I think it's more of an audition to be the #2 qb than it is to start this year. And to see more of what we have for next year if Smith can't step up.
I agree he would be predictable if he (raye) had les playbook to use. Nate seems to have some of that brett favre knack for making a play out of nothing (so far) So I can't wait to see how that works against the 2's of the vikings.

Not that I want the offense to be predictable. But I think I'd rather have a predictable play executed well consistently than to be unpredictable but miss on the play. Indy's offense is very, very vanilla, even with as much as Manning studies and knows about the game. They take the approach that they'd rather know fewer plays and play fundamentally sound football and execute those play extremely well than have a ton of plays in the book. I see them a lot (Indiana resident), and frankly I'm sick to death of that damned stretch play. But they keep running it, and the play action pass that mirrors it, over and over and over again. Heck, even last year when their running game was virtually non-existent, their play action worked because they execute it so well and Manning can find and hit the open receiver with accuracy. Give me fewer plays that we can actually run well than a bunch of plays that we can't any day.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

Nate and Smith are polar opposites. Smith is ultra-intellectual, and can understand how a play is supposed to work. It will take him years to get that down, but he can execute against a structured framework once he really gets it. He has zero instincts other than dumping it off to his RB or running to the right. Nate has learning difficulties and will never be as good as Smith at learning and executing structured plays. However, he has more natural instinct than Smith could develop in three lifetimes. I think that's worth something. My gut also says he's also a hell of a lot more accurate, but I need to see more before I can say that.
Even my wife sees the difference between Alex and Nate.

Great synopsis of both players Shaj! I see Nate as exactly how you called him "instinctual"...so what if the play breaks down? He will find an open receiver and get him the ball like Raye said and you just can't teach that. I am excited to see what this kid can do against better talent. If he does do well, Carr may just be bumped to third string.

Carr was always a band-aid, IMO. Even Jimmy said earlier in the off-season that he'd hope Nate would push Carr for the 2nd spot. He getting better in practice and Raye wants to see it translated in the game. Both years now, Nate has shown that "uncanny" ability to see down field and make plays, but he's done it against scrubs.

Now he has his opportunity! Opportunity is always the catalyst. Hopefully, he makes the most of it. If he does well, things will get really exciting around here.

My wife is all excited as she bought his jersey last year after he saw him play in the preseason and will be wearing it proudly on Sunday!

Love a woman with innate psychic abilities and a flare for thinking outside the box.
hopefully he looks better than Smith did against Indy last week...
I wish him well. The only way he'll get experience is to play and not ride the pine. The pre-season games will shine a light on his talents and short-comings. From what little I've seen of him, he can deliver the ball better than anyone we currently have. But there is much more to being a QB than the ability to throw. Jamarcus Russell could throw 60 yards on his knees - but couldn't complete. Vick can run and throw well but is not a top QB otherwise Kolb wouldn't be starting.

I hope Davis shines like the sun and takes a big step forward. I support Alex but this is it! Make or break time. He either does it or he doesn't. And if he doesn't, it would be great to have someone ready to step in and take over - with out waiting a year to draft another prospect.

Wow, what's up with you lame fans supporting one qb over another. I would love to see Davis as our back up qb, because what makes people think that Carr can do it after what he's showed so far in his career. This is Alex final shot at showing us he either has it or doesn't. Davis should be next in line and if he can't do it, hell I'll support Carr if he's thrown in there.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I wish him well. The only way he'll get experience is to play and not ride the pine. The pre-season games will shine a light on his talents and short-comings. From what little I've seen of him, he can deliver the ball better than anyone we currently have. But there is much more to being a QB than the ability to throw. Jamarcus Russell could throw 60 yards on his knees - but couldn't complete. Vick can run and throw well but is not a top QB otherwise Kolb wouldn't be starting.

I hope Davis shines like the sun and takes a big step forward. I support Alex but this is it! Make or break time. He either does it or he doesn't. And if he doesn't, it would be great to have someone ready to step in and take over - with out waiting a year to draft another prospect.

I wish that were true. There will be no less than 5 highly touted excuses here if Smith doesn't do well in 2010, regardless of the circumstances.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Funny cuz I was gonna put a z at the end of eyes. The greatest rapper of all time. The greatest album I ever heard.

Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I wish that were true. There will be no less than 5 highly touted excuses here if Smith doesn't do well in 2010, regardless of the circumstances.

I don't think so Shaj. I think just about everyone on this board seems to know this is the year for Smith. He bombs, he's gone.
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Nate will soon shut up the supporters or non supporters.

There are 9er fans that are non-supporters? IDGI...
Alex looked scared at time last week...i hate his deer in headlights reactions
Originally posted by 49ersrgolden:
Alex looked scared at time last week...i hate his deer in headlights reactions

he was never scared all the reporters (sando MM MB) said that he looked confident and knew where he was going with the ball at all times and you could even see that on the field

as for nate i wanna see what he can do against 2nd string D im tired of ppl overracting to him playing and doing well against people who wont even make it on the team in the nxt cutoff date

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Aug 19, 2010 at 10:34:05 ]
Im in socal and dident get to watch the game i saw the highlights he looked like the same ol alex to me dont get me wrong i hope he steps up this year
Share 49ersWebzone