LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Carr vs. Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by valrod33:
f**k Alex Smiths backups

The evolution of the WZ and NT.

In the long run, I'd have Davis as the #2. But for now, gotta go with Carr for the experience factor.

Of course, experience is awesome but it isn't everything. Trent Dilfer was a super experienced veteran but did crap for us when he was the starter. That's an extreme example though. Carr has the physical tools, but has never been able to put it together to be a complete QB. I wouldn't mind having him in a backup role.
Originally posted by thojess:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Could care less really as long as we win....

You know, its a preseason game. Its all about player development and getting the rust off, not winning. THESE GAMES DON"T COUNT!

I'm not referring to the preseason games. I'm referring to OVERALL
Carr is the backup and its not even close.. Although Davis has very good upside, let him sit back and learn, no rush!
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Carr is the backup and its not even close.. Although Davis has very good upside, let him sit back and learn, no rush!

But there's something about the way Davis plays in games that just really impresses. Yes, it's against 2nd/3rd stringers, I know...but you can't fake a natural feel for the pocket, knowing when to step up from an outside rush and the ability to throw strikes downfield while on the move.

I think some guys just need the roar of the crowd, the bright lights to be on and the pressure of actual game to really show their abilities, and Davis seems to be one of those guys.

I bet he plays better than Smith and Carr tomorrow.
I think Carr will probably have Robinson as the RB with more experience at picking up blitzes while Davis will probably see more of Dixon in there at RB. I will be very curious to see who looks sharper but I would bet it will probably be Carr.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Davis will be the third stringer for at least 2 more seasons. He just needs time and the Niners are poised to make the playoffs so they arent going to leave there season in his hands.

Yea lets just hope we don't pull a Charlie Whitehurst and keep Davis on our roster till he's 29
If Carr can fix his release he will be a better option for the niners this year as a #2QB
Davis still looked worth the #3 spot on the team. Hard to rate Asmith with 2nd string Wideouts against 1st string D.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
carr is gonna win hands down

U dont know sh**

Except he's right

I guess he's not
Davis was the most accurate QB in the game behind Manning. Yeah 3rd string, but the passes were where they needed to be, he was hitting the receivers in stride, avoiding the rush very well and man, he has quite a cannon!

Davis needs to stop the stupid rookie mistakes and learn more of the playbook IMO...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Davis needs to stop the stupid rookie mistakes and learn more of the playbook IMO...

Let him "DEVELOP". We tend to develop and develop QB for eternity...

I agree 100%; but, with his learning disability we need to let him develop a bit slower than we would want. Maybe next year he will be further along. I do love the kids instincts...

WTF...He was 5/6 for 89 yards??? Stop the mistakes. Let him develop for another 4 years like Smith??? This teams decision making is atrocious. Putting stock in the Smither for another year is BS.

Davis would learn more if he was #2. Smith should be demoted to #3 and then cut. Carr and Davis are both better QB's but of course the Smith spopporters will throw some excuses at me as to why I am wrong. The proof is the play on the field folks. Not practice.

Share 49ersWebzone