LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Will Alex Smith exceed 3,200 yards and 24 TDs in '10?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will Alex Smith exceed 3,200 yards and 24 TDs in '10?

Originally posted by superman49er:
i dont think he will reach that yardage mark...im thinking barely over or under 3000, with over 20 tds and under 15 ints...hes smart, hes not a gunslinger, gore will take a lot of the load off of him, he just has to manage the game, no need for him to be a superstar....he keeps the ints at or under 1 per game, we win the west

Smith will be asked to manage the game. He has not the ability to use all the weapons at his disposal, hence.Gore and Dixon will be asked to shoulder the load.
Let's hope we get a QB who can better utilize Crabtree, Davis and the rest, through a trade or a draft pick next year.

[ Edited by RogerCraig on Aug 11, 2010 at 21:20:11 ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Considering he had about 17-18 TDs in 10.5 games (the half game against Houston), why is it so hard for a minority of people to believe he can put up 24 over the course of a season? Thinking he can exceed 24 isn't exactly crowning him the second coming. He probably will be somewhere between 24 and 28. I just hope he can keep the interceptions under 16.

What worries me though is his passing yardage. He should be around 3,500 yards or more but with Jimmy Raye calling the plays, who knows. I honestly feel we have the weapons to have a pretty balanced attack and should be able to beat any team whether on the ground or through the air. With Davis, Crabtree, and even Gore as receiving options, the other receivers, namely Morgan, Ginn, Hill should have opportunities to make plays.

It's not an issue of if he can. It's an issue of do we think he will... Do you know that only 12 QBs last year put up over 23TDs? Whats more is that these QB's were on pass happy teams and all these QBs stayed pretty healthy last year.

Now we have an unproven QB behind a very young line. Setting aside the issue of if he can or cannot, Alex first of all needs to stay healthy. The way we help him stay healthy with such a young line is to run the ball a hell of a lot. The more run plays the less attempts Alex has and the less likely he is going to be able to get these #s...

So, emotion wise, we hope like hell that Alex does get these stats; but, logically, it's not likely.

[ Edited by D_Niner on Aug 11, 2010 at 09:38:30 ]
It's usually more difficult the second year as teams have more film on Alex and Raye's offense. I'm sure they will have added some wrinkles to stop the Davis Seam route.

Either way, I say he gets over 3000.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
i dont think he will reach that yardage mark...im thinking barely over or under 3000, with over 20 tds and under 15 ints...hes smart, hes not a gunslinger, gore will take a lot of the load off of him, he just has to manage the game, no need for him to be a superstar....he keeps the ints at or under 1 per game, we win the west

Smith will be asked to manage the game. He has not the ability to use all the weapons at his disposal, hence.Guore and Dixon will be asked to shoulder the load.
Let's hope we get a QB who can better utilize Crabtree, Davis and the rest through a trade or a draft pick next year.

I concur. I don't think that he will magically become better than he was last year and I am on the side that says he wasn't even really good last year. Just a tad above JaMarcus Fatass Russell is not good. 30th out of 32 QB's is not very good. On third downs he was awful. Then we signed David Carr as insurance, wow this team is a headache waiting to happen. I love the Niners, always have but I don't have to agree when they say they put a good product on the field.

I hope the owners understand that they won't have a playoff "contender"until Alex is in hindsight. The same system theory is not going to making him a 24 TD 12 INT QB. He will be average like he has always been (overstatement) and I think the team needs to get rid of Raye next year also. I don't think his creativity has what it takes to excel against good defenses. We only won three games out of the division last year and I don't expect us to sweep the division this year so playoffs still are a big question mark.
Well, in about 10.5 games, Alex Smith had 2350 yards, 18 TDs, and 12 INTs.

That's about 223.8 yards per game, 1.7 touchdowns per game, and 1.14 INTs per game. If he had that production over a 16 game season, 3580 yards, 27 TDs and 18 INTs. Based on that alone, I think it's reasonable to think he is capable of doing it.

The thing is though, it depends on what our offense looks like. We shifted to more of a passing offense when Alex Smith became our QB. But then again, we ran and did nothing in the first half of games, while passing in the second half of games.... so it kind of evens out.

I think it's reasonable that Alex Smith will have similar production. Even if we move away from the passing offense, we should still see some improvement with continuity.
Originally posted by AJ_Larrea954:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
If you include returned picks for TD's by the other team, then yes.

I'm proud to welcome you into the ACP club sir!

It appears we are both charter members for simply refusing to buy into the koolaid that Alex Smith is suddenly going to transform into a GOOD QB instead of a CRAPPY QB.

How dare we think such thoughts.

I know we all want Alex to do good, but those that are getting on us for saying we shouldn't be concerned about his struggles in practice probably weren't fans during the Joe and Steve days. Seriously. Even when Jeff Garcia finally figured things out, we didn't hear stories about him failing to have it in practice. With Alex, even though we're hearing mostly positive things, we have to be concerned if/when he struggles. How many times have we been let down by Alex? It's too many to remember. Again, I wish him the best, for the sake of the team. But I'm not gonna get my hopes up again. If he can't pull through this year, then he's proven to me he doesn't belong in the NFL.

He has done good all of training camp and now that he has ONE bad practice which wasnt even terrible, you guys are ready to burn this guys house down. smh why dont you go be a Cardinal fan then you can whine about a QB struggling during camp

Why don't you take your low expectations out of here.
Originally posted by Joecool:
It's usually more difficult the second year as teams have more film on Alex and Raye's offense. I'm sure they will have added some wrinkles to stop the Davis Seam route.

On the flip side, Smith will be more comfortable with Raye's playbook. Smith will likely try plays the opponents haven't seen before.
He will be lucky to throw for as many as he did last year. Dont think that VD is going to have another 13. Maybe like 6-7.
Originally posted by fastforward:

On the flip side, Smith will be more comfortable with Raye's playbook. Smith will likely try plays the opponents haven't seen before.

exactly. smith is gonna burn people this year through the air. i cant wait
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

What are the stats of an average QB in the league?

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

What are the stats of an average QB in the league?

Apx 3550 yards and 21 TDs...

26 tds 14 picks for 3500 yards
Originally posted by RogerCraig:

Smith will be asked to manage the game. He has not the ability to use all the weapons at his disposal, hence.Gore and Dixon will be asked to shoulder the load.
Let's hope we get a QB who can better utilize Crabtree, Davis and the rest, through a trade or a draft pick next year.

What do you say to those of us who are paying attention to reality and witnessed Smith toss 3 TDs in a half last season and who watched him march down the field against Indy in under two minutes? The kid can play when he is in a groove, he isn't some no talent hack. Oh, and he is not even in his physical prime yet...
I'm more interested to see him truck more fools

Share 49ersWebzone