LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

The Scot McLoughan legacy with the niners... what is it?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Draftology:
I was always a fan of McLoughan's. When he was hired, we had guys on our roster that couldn't start for some college teams. Now some of the guys fighting for roster spots could start on other NFL teams. I know some ppl on the zone hate him but there is no question he made our team waaaaaaaaaaay better. He got us guys like Davis and Willis but the depth on our roster now is what sticks out to me

NOLAN had the final say when we drafted many of the good players you speak of.
So McLoughan gets no credit for our good picks and the all the credit for the bad ones or does he get no credit at all? He was still our GM. He had a major role
Originally posted by sdninerfan:
I was always a fan of McLoughan's. When he was hired, we had guys on our roster that couldn't start for some college teams. Now some of the guys fighting for roster spots could start on other NFL teams. I know some ppl on the zone hate him but there is no question he made our team waaaaaaaaaaay better. He got us guys like Davis and Willis but the depth on our roster now is what sticks out to me

He did a fair job improving the overall talent level. But to play devil's advocate, when he was hired, there was no talent on the team, so a drunk chimpanzee could have drafted people and improved the overall talent on the team.
Tell that to the Detroit Lions
I will always remember him as a GM, inconsistent, with no real idea how to build a team. He took dis and dat, but didn't seem to have a plan. His worst move was to try and build a team before he built the O and D lines. That was unforgivable, and baalke is a superstud for drafting two outstanding , starters for OL in first rd. "LInes first, lines first", quoth Vince Lombardi. You watch what two super OLs will mean for the team this yr. Our team goes as our lines go. And our OL is really going this yr. Too bad scot didn't subscribe to that.
Originally posted by Shaj:
I know his legacy with us won't be cooked until a couple more years, but as of now, what is his legacy with the niners? How will he be remembered? My sense is he will be remembered as an average GM and Personnel Director - big hits and big misses, but also not a lot of consistency. And maybe that he was too rigid in the types of players that he looked for. He got us some good players though... most notably Gore, Wills, and Davis off the top of my head. Outside of Justin Smith, not sure how good his FA deals were though, but I'm sure I'm not remembering some.

He helped make us better. No doubt. But wow, talk about moving on and bringing your co-workers with you. Lol. Scott is working the rol-a-dex with animosity. Seattle has now signed Kentwan Bummer, Brandon Jones, and I wouldn't be surprised if M-Rob and Jason Hill end up there too. Scott is in rare form right now. Either he is VERY lazy at his job--possible--or he is still beyond pissed at the Niners for what went down IMHO.

• Mex49
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by fister30:
Scotty M was better than average. SF was lucky to have his services because the players he brought here are the main reason the niners will probably make the playoffs this year. The niners were really bad before he got to SF.

I'm not even sure that you can separate the legacy of Nolan and McCloughan. They both have their stamp all over this team.

I actually think that Nolan would have made quite a good GM. But I reckon that McCloughan is really nothing more than average.

-9fA

Our team was so f**king bad and they helped make it the team we have today, and for that I thank them a lot.

But don't come back!
Originally posted by 49erRider:

NOLAN had the final say when we drafted many of the good players you speak of.

If NOLAN was responsible for the 2006, 2007 drafts, he would be getting much better job offers than the crappy DC jobs hes held since he left.

Some people have argued that McC couldn't build a team, but he could find talent and you cannot deny that.

As for DeSean Jackson, I've said this before: this is classic CA bias, if he had played in the SEC no one would have thought twice about drafting an undersized WR with attitude problems in the second round.
Originally posted by Shaj:
I know his legacy with us won't be cooked until a couple more years, but as of now, what is his legacy with the niners? How will he be remembered? My sense is he will be remembered as an average GM and Personnel Director - big hits and big misses, but also not a lot of consistency. And maybe that he was too rigid in the types of players that he looked for. He got us some good players though... most notably Gore, Wills, and Davis off the top of my head. Outside of Justin Smith, not sure how good his FA deals were though, but I'm sure I'm not remembering some.

sorry, cannot hear you above the giant SUCKING SOUND........oh and lol @ seattle....build a team and front office out of bodies not good enough to be niners.....effing seattle man, a good year or two in 35 years. thank god i was born in niner country
Share 49ersWebzone