LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

The Scot McLoughan legacy with the niners... what is it?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
to my post above:

Scot 2005-2008 served as Vice President of Player Personnel
actual GM services began in 08
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by fister30:
Scotty M was better than average. SF was lucky to have his services because the players he brought here are the main reason the niners will probably make the playoffs this year. The niners were really bad before he got to SF.

I'm not even sure that you can separate the legacy of Nolan and McCloughan. They both have their stamp all over this team.

I actually think that Nolan would have made quite a good GM. But I reckon that McCloughan is really nothing more than average.

-9fA

LOL Nolan would have run this team into the dirt and beyond. It wa Nolan who wanted Alex Smith, Jonas Jenninngs, Scot wanted Devin Hester Nolan did not. Nolan soes not have GM instincts after choosing Alex Smith because he is so smart. WTF? Another Classic Scot was hgih on Lofa Tatupu since he was scouting him big the last year as Director of College Scouting for the Seattle Seahawks Nolan -Nope.??? LOL by the way after Nolan FKD up the 2nd round with Baas Scot wanted to trade up for Vincent Jackson. NEver happened. However we did trade up for synder in the 3rd instead??

I wouldn't say he's nothing more than avg. he's above avg compared to the rest of the league. the majority of starters on this team were drafted by him
Originally posted by pelos21:
I'm still not exactly sure why he was let go. Some say he had a drinking problem and some say he had family problems. What is it?

if you couldnt tell aaron rodgers has a better arm than alex smith, you should be nowhere near the scouting department
Drafting Gore and Willis.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by fister30:
Scotty M was better than average. SF was lucky to have his services because the players he brought here are the main reason the niners will probably make the playoffs this year. The niners were really bad before he got to SF.

I'm not even sure that you can separate the legacy of Nolan and McCloughan. They both have their stamp all over this team.

I actually think that Nolan would have made quite a good GM. But I reckon that McCloughan is really nothing more than average.

-9fA

LOL Nolan would have run this team into the dirt and beyond. It wa Nolan who wanted Alex Smith, Jonas Jenninngs, Scot wanted Devin Hester Nolan did not. Nolan soes not have GM instincts after choosing Alex Smith because he is so smart. WTF? Another Classic Scot was hgih on Lofa Tatupu since he was scouting him big the last year as Director of College Scouting for the Seattle Seahawks Nolan -Nope.??? LOL by the way after Nolan FKD up the 2nd round with Baas Scot wanted to trade up for Vincent Jackson. NEver happened. However we did trade up for synder in the 3rd instead??

I wouldn't say he's nothing more than avg. he's above avg compared to the rest of the league. the majority of starters on this team were drafted by him

Ok, maybe I was a little extravagant in my praise for Nolan. I can't quite recall all the examples that you stated. I never read anything anywhere about one man fighting for so and so (with the exception of the Patrick Willis story). I'd be interested to read on it if you have a link.

I only say that Nolan may have made a good GM because we had always been able to sign whatever FAs we desired at very reasonable prices. That and he never made any bonehead FA moves like so many other teams seem to do. Drafting wise, Nolan was ok IMO.

I still maintain that other than the 2009 draft, you can't distinguish between their legacies. They're really one as a whole.

-9fA

[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Aug 1, 2010 at 15:36:17 ]
McLoughan helped rebuild this team to what it is today. Aside from some really questionable moves (Kentwan Balmer) he's done awesome, getting extra first round picks, signing monsters like Willis (Who he fought for) Davis, Gore and getting solid free agents in Clements, Smith, Franklin, Harris, etc.

I don't get all the hate, in fact, I am a little concerned for next year because we don't have him. I thought he did a damn good job.
  • TIM_
  • Veteran
I liked McCloughan. But his best attribute may have been that he was NOT Nolan.
McCloughan was only GM less than 2 years,before that Nolan was the GM. McCloughan did some good things and some questionable things. I don't see ANY drop off with Baalke and actually think he might have a spark that McCloughan lacked.
Baalke and Marathe and Sing,working under Jed ,seems ideal to me. jmho
Originally posted by TIM_:
I liked McCloughan. But his best attribute may have been that he was NOT Nolan.
McCloughan was only GM less than 2 years,before that Nolan was the GM. McCloughan did some good things and some questionable things. I don't see ANY drop off with Baalke and actually think he might have a spark that McCloughan lacked.
Baalke and Marathe and Sing,working under Jed ,seems ideal to me. jmho

To be fair, the only draft we've seen from Balkee was 95 percent finished by McCloughan.
The McNolan era will always be remembered for passing on Rodgers and drafting Smith. I don't care who held that ever so elusive "trigger."

If we don't make the playoffs this season, chances are it will be because of that.

If Smith is garbage again this year we will be stuck searching for a QB for a team that is pretty much playoff ready. And our org (once again) will look like fools for not going after McNabb.

I'm pretty much over b***hing about Smith. Camp is here and its put up or get the hell outta town.

McNolan era had a couple of hits, but really. Other than Gore, most of them were no brainers. And guys like Snyder, B. Williams, Bass, Blamer, and many others have been dogs or non-factors.

The McNolan era didn't kill us, but its not like it bought us a ticket to the promise land either. I'd bet that most NFL execs could have done just as well or better with all the football capital we had during the era.

For the most part Scott hit on the no brainer 1st rounders, but after that, his draft record is spotty...Cody Wallace, Scott McKillop, Bear Pascoe.. Hmmm.

We can't hang it all on him as I suspect that Nolan had a great deal of influence on personnel matters.

Kudos to Scott for the FA signings of Justin Smith, Takeo Spikes, Walt Harris and to a lesser extent Nate Clements.

IMO.. He did OK, maybe a C or C-
He had what one full year of actually drafting and pursuing FA's after Nolan "gave" him the reigns?
Originally posted by bjghum:
The McNolan era will always be remembered for passing on Rodgers and drafting Smith. I don't care who held that ever so elusive "trigger."

If we don't make the playoffs this season, chances are it will be because of that.

If Smith is garbage again this year we will be stuck searching for a QB for a team that is pretty much playoff ready. And our org (once again) will look like fools for not going after McNabb.

I'm pretty much over b***hing about Smith. Camp is here and its put up or get the hell outta town.

McNolan era had a couple of hits, but really. Other than Gore, most of them were no brainers. And guys like Snyder, B. Williams, Bass, Blamer, and many others have been dogs or non-factors.

The McNolan era didn't kill us, but its not like it bought us a ticket to the promise land either. I'd bet that most NFL execs could have done just as well or better with all the football capital we had during the era.

IT WAS ALL NOLAN!! Scot had absolutly no say what so ever. FACT: The yr before in Sea they where scouting Rodgers heavily. That's all he has ever said about that. It was all Nolan
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
if you couldnt tell aaron rodgers has a better arm than alex smith, you should be nowhere near the scouting department

More to a qb than just the arm. Druckenmiller had a good arm, if I recall.
Scott is 100% the only reason we have Willis. The rest of the staff were all trying to convince themselves into taking somebody else, and he was having no part of any of it. That to me is his legacy.
Share 49ersWebzone