There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Originally posted by sspiker:
It's amazing how many people last year were clamoring for someone to replace Rachal because putting a young, raw tackle next to a young, sub-par guard would stunt his development. Wouldn't you know, Harbaugh and his guys figure it out, put in Snyder, and now not only is Snyder playing better than Rachal, but Davis is playing better next to him.

This.
Davis looks great out there, they all do
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I am still inclined to slide Davis inside to RG and see what Alex Boone's got at RT... BUT... I know that's only grand in theory.

Davis and Snyder have been doing too good a job to be messing around with that right now. I want to see more though, and am glad we have plenty of football left (and a whole offseason) to decide what's best for the OL. My guess is that with a full offseason? our very best starting 5 would be:

Staley -- Iupati -- Goodwin -- Davis -- Boone

.. but I am flexible, so long as the OL is doing their job.

I know you watch a lot of Oline film, but what has Boone accomplished that makes you think he would be better than Davis on the right side? I know he is big, but what else? If anything, try him on the left. Just curious.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I am still inclined to slide Davis inside to RG and see what Alex Boone's got at RT... BUT... I know that's only grand in theory.

Davis and Snyder have been doing too good a job to be messing around with that right now. I want to see more though, and am glad we have plenty of football left (and a whole offseason) to decide what's best for the OL. My guess is that with a full offseason? our very best starting 5 would be:

Staley -- Iupati -- Goodwin -- Davis -- Boone

.. but I am flexible, so long as the OL is doing their job.

Very intriguing indeed! I would imagine Davis would be quite the road-grader at RG. Boone does play well on the edges and is getting quite a bit of time there.

I'd certainly consider in the offseason though it would be tough to break up b/c both Snyder/Davis are playing very well together and both play with some passion.

In 2012, via FA, we should be looking to upgrade the LT position big time - ppl don't realize how important this position is esp. to our offense. Again, Staley gave up two sacks (the second, the penalty was declined) was a major liability in the run game on most plays and had that ball fluttered into the hands of the Giants, we may not be talking about 8-1 right now. Staley, with help from Iupati, gets beat way too many times...Alex was once again hit by his man as he was throwing (on 3rd down and it would have been a 1st down too) and fortunately, that ball floated to the ground with three Giants standing nearby. It was harmless THIS TIME. If it was one game, no worries but Staley is and has either reached his ceiling or is starting to regress IMHO. And unfortunately, it's on Alex's blind side...we need more consistency there and a peace of mind for Alex and the RB's when they rush to that side off-tackle.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 17, 2011 at 12:10 PM ]
eat crow time????


Anyone who starts a thread with [insert name of 49ers] "sucks" "is great" "bust",... should have their handle changed for one week to "I Eat Crow" and that thread should be bumped.

PS: my JTO and Hill threads were only bandwagon threads.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM ]
According to wikipedia he runs a llama farm in his free time
Originally posted by Joecool:
Anyone who starts a thread with [insert name of 49ers] "sucks" "is great" "bust",... should have their handle changed for one week to "I Eat Crow" and that thread should be bumped.

PS: my JTO and Hill threads were only bandwagon threads.

To be fair Joe -- I started this thread with a question -- not "is."

And, if you noticed? I've already been forced to change my name.

The shame of it all...
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Anyone who starts a thread with [insert name of 49ers] "sucks" "is great" "bust",... should have their handle changed for one week to "I Eat Crow" and that thread should be bumped.

PS: my JTO and Hill threads were only bandwagon threads.

To be fair Joe -- I started this thread with a question -- not "is."

And, if you noticed? I've already been forced to change my name.

The shame of it all...

I know but it should be a rule.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Very intriguing indeed! I would imagine Davis would be quite the road-grader at RG. Boone does play well on the edges and is getting quite a bit of time there.

I'd certainly consider in the offseason though it would be tough to break up b/c both Snyder/Davis are playing very well together and both play with some passion.

In 2012, via FA, we should be looking to upgrade the LT position big time - ppl don't realize how important this position is esp. to our offense. Again, Staley gave up two sacks (the second, the penalty was declined) was a major liability in the run game on most plays and had that ball fluttered into the hands of the Giants, we may not be talking about 8-1 right now. Staley, with help from Iupati, gets beat way too many times...Alex was once again hit by his man as he was throwing (on 3rd down and it would have been a 1st down too) and fortunately, that ball floated to the ground with three Giants standing nearby. It was harmless THIS TIME. If it was one game, no worries but Staley is and has either reached his ceiling or is starting to regress IMHO. And unfortunately, it's on Alex's blind side...we need more consistency there and a peace of mind for Alex and the RB's when they rush to that side off-tackle.

Alex stepped into the Giant player, causing the ball to flutter. Staley had him blocked fine. If a quarterback chooses to step INTO a pass rusher, there is zero an offensive tackle can do to save him.
Staley and Davis are both playing well.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I am still inclined to slide Davis inside to RG and see what Alex Boone's got at RT... BUT... I know that's only grand in theory.

Very intriguing indeed! I would imagine Davis would be quite the road-grader at RG. Boone does play well on the edges and is getting quite a bit of time there.

I'd certainly consider in the offseason though it would be tough to break up b/c both Snyder/Davis are playing very well together and both play with some passion.

In 2012, via FA, we should be looking to upgrade the LT position big time - ppl don't realize how important this position is esp. to our offense. Again, Staley gave up two sacks (the second, the penalty was declined) was a major liability in the run game on most plays and had that ball fluttered into the hands of the Giants, we may not be talking about 8-1 right now. Staley, with help from Iupati, gets beat way too many times...Alex was once again hit by his man as he was throwing (on 3rd down and it would have been a 1st down too) and fortunately, that ball floated to the ground with three Giants standing nearby. It was harmless THIS TIME. If it was one game, no worries but Staley is and has either reached his ceiling or is starting to regress IMHO. And unfortunately, it's on Alex's blind side...we need more consistency there and a peace of mind for Alex and the RB's when they rush to that side off-tackle.

Considered the Staley issue too. I'm not sold on replacing him, but I am seeing a few ugly breakdowns each game that raise the temptation to. A few breakdowns isn't the worst thing in the world... but yes, his run blocks often fail miserably. I'm on the fence here... glad there's more to the season to make a better determination of the LT spot for the future.


Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I am still inclined to slide Davis inside to RG and see what Alex Boone's got at RT... BUT... I know that's only grand in theory.

I know you watch a lot of Oline film, but what has Boone accomplished that makes you think he would be better than Davis on the right side? I know he is big, but what else? If anything, try him on the left. Just curious.

It's a combo of things, really. (1) Watched a lot of Boone at OSU and I really feel that what I saw even then will translate well at RT... plus, he's in MUCH better shape now. (2) He has filled in at times, and has looked plenty capable (3) Really like him and the changes he made to his body and mind... it's an accomplishment that I naturally would like to see rewarded... which sort of contributes to (4) my "gut" tells me that if given the chance, he will take the starting job and never look back (meaning be a clear starter there for a long time).

We want the best 5 out there starting.... By sliding Davis inside and inserting Boone at RT, we upgrade both spots. The only issue, as I mentioned... is when to do this. Gotta be the offseason, as Snyder and Davis are doing well enough and it's too risky to mess with OL cohesion at this time.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Alex stepped into the Giant player, causing the ball to flutter. Staley had him blocked fine. If a quarterback chooses to step INTO a pass rusher, there is zero an offensive tackle can do to save him.
Staley and Davis are both playing well.

Somewhat true... wasn't much of a step to the left. He had to try and fit the pass through that pass lane. On this play, the QB and LT need to share the blame, IMHO. Staley should have done a better job of holding his ground... something he has really struggled with. In Staley's effort to gain agility, I think he lost too much weight in the offseason.
Originally posted by captveg:
This.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chilo steps up as well, now that we have coaches who can sort out the problems and coach up the players. Rachal has played well recently when stepping in for Snyder in limited duy.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Somewhat true... wasn't much of a step to the left. He had to try and fit the pass through that pass lane. On this play, the QB and LT need to share the blame, IMHO. Staley should have done a better job of holding his ground... something he has really struggled with. In Staley's effort to gain agility, I think he lost too much weight in the offseason.

Yeah, I also noted in my play breakdown, that Alex stepped left when he threw...but he should be able to step up, left or right if it's a good pocket. It's that Staley was beat inside again. And the two sacks? False starts? Pushed back in the run game? The point is this is a perpetual problem and I just isolated it using one game as an example. The quality of his play is below average esp. when you factor is that he is supposed to be our leader, best OL, 1st rounder, paid a ton and plays the most critical position on the OL. That said, we could certainly play more to his strengths as well until we find a more viable option there esp. to run our "power ohhhhh!" running game, IMHO.
(Anthony) Davis, for example, gave up four sacks through the first four weeks of the season, according to STATS, LLC. Since then, he's given up a half-sack.

"I don't want to use the word 'skyrocketed,' but he's playing at a much higher level," Roman said. "Success breeds confidence and confidence breeds improvement. That's what we're seeing and we need to continue to see it."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/11/20/4067998/line-keeps-offense-moving-for.html#ixzz1eEcnzmfz