There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Big ups to Davis. I so glad to see this wont be a waisted pick. If he stays hungry he will be dominate by next year. Maiocco talked about him pancaking players last week....love it.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Big ups to Davis. I so glad to see this wont be a waisted pick. If he stays hungry he will be dominate by next year. Maiocco talked about him pancaking players last week....love it.

Yeah, the dude has always played hard and with an edge and angry. He sort of reminds me of Larry Allen with the way he carries himself. He seems to be getting stronger and quicker and the game is starting to slow down for him, no doubt. He's just mauling ppl and he LOVES to finish the plays. I ask ppl to just watch him for a series or two. He is always up in someone's face...he's a competitor, no doubt. Love that!
Not anymore.................. Good job, Coach Solari! This kid is definitely coming around.
He started to get noticeably better when Snyder took over from Rachel.

He seems to have responded to coaching and has atoughness that is great.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Yeah, the dude has always played hard and with an edge and angry. He sort of reminds me of Larry Allen with the way he carries himself. He seems to be getting stronger and quicker and the game is starting to slow down for him, no doubt. He's just mauling ppl and he LOVES to finish the plays. I ask ppl to just watch him for a series or two. He is always up in someone's face...he's a competitor, no doubt. Love that!

He still has some issues with technique but he's improving steadily. The thing that really stands out is the edginess he brings to the line. Every o-line needs a guy like that. When he was drafted, the big question was about his work ethic and attitude. I'd say he's answered the critics on that one.
LasVegasWally has it right. The old adage of "you are what you eat" is applicable to "you can't be much better than the team mate standing next to you." Well, obviously that doesn't apply to p-52, who has been on a 3 yrs wrecking crew mission. On the OL, however, it does apply, especially when one, sometimes two guys don't know their jobs or can't perform them. Yes AD did get a lot better with Snyder there, which should have surprised no one. Point is, the HC still has to make that call...and he did. Also, last yrs year long debate about whether Baas and Heitmann were good players has pretty well been answered now. Those of us who thot those two guys were inferior just have look at our OL now and compare it to then. Staley, Iupati, AD, Snyder have all come around. Goodwin has been a Godsend. Face it. Last yrs OL was terrible, hence our QB was terrible...just like previous 5 yrs. Get a good personnel man, a great HC who is also an OC, Qb , OL, WR, and TE coach, and you are going to finally get the OL house in order. With last yrs coaching staff, personnel, etc, AD would be no better this yr than last. He was held back by guys playing on either side of him, plus a HC who didn't deserve the title, nor did the OC or OL coach. AD could have been this good last yr...except the pieces weren't in place. Now they are. I suspect Eli and NYG are in for a suprise. Hell, even we, loyal fans are suprised. Back to AD, he just needed talent on either side of him and a HC to teach him. AD just gets better and better as the games go by, along with a cohesive OL that we haven't seen here in yrs. The only thing about AD that relates him to bust is,
he's gonna bust some Giants in the chops. Maybe he will do some busting. A bust he ain't.
I'm just glad he ain't the 2nd coming of Kwame Harris...
I think when we picked him last year, he was too raw. Two years sitting on the bench and learning from veterans would've helped him out immensely. However, he's making steady improvements and i can now buy his jersey.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
I think when we picked him last year, he was too raw. Two years sitting on the bench and learning from veterans would've helped him out immensely. However, he's making steady improvements and i can now buy his jersey.

he was VERY YOUNG and raw, but i dont think sittin him on the bench would have helped him as much as NFL PT.
He is still very mentally immature. He does some very childish things at times. He is gloating more and just being a jerk at times. However, I think the other linemen and JH will keep him under wraps untill he grows up and matures. I think he was 20 when he came to the Niners and the teams' success has brought out some smack talk, taunting, pushing players after the play and things that are going to get him a 15 yarder at an inopportune time. Some of the veterans need to tell him to shut up and play football. When he has accomplished something, like a Pro Bowl, then he has earned the right to act a little puffed up. Right now he's acting puffed without the credentials. I'm sure that anyone who has ever played a sport has seen the guy who was only a so-so player but ran his mouth because his team was winning. You also knew that his team sure wasn't because of him. If Davis keeps working hard he will improve and may become a Pro Bowler someday if he doesn't start drinking his own cool-aid.
Having Snyder line up next to him instead of Rachal has helped a lot.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
He is still very mentally immature. He does some very childish things at times. He is gloating more and just being a jerk at times. However, I think the other linemen and JH will keep him under wraps untill he grows up and matures. I think he was 20 when he came to the Niners and the teams' success has brought out some smack talk, taunting, pushing players after the play and things that are going to get him a 15 yarder at an inopportune time. Some of the veterans need to tell him to shut up and play football. When he has accomplished something, like a Pro Bowl, then he has earned the right to act a little puffed up. Right now he's acting puffed without the credentials. I'm sure that anyone who has ever played a sport has seen the guy who was only a so-so player but ran his mouth because his team was winning. You also knew that his team sure wasn't because of him. If Davis keeps working hard he will improve and may become a Pro Bowler someday if he doesn't start drinking his own cool-aid.

I agree. He does act and look like a jerk a lot of times. He is young (just turned 22?) I think he will mature. He has a good staff and good group of players around him. I know I am looking way down the road but I would be afraid to give him a big, long term contract when he hits FA (I know, that is probably at least 2-3 years from now).
He can act like the biggest jerk in the world as long as he continues to improve. Besides the Philly game he's having a good season.
[ Edited by Hopper on Nov 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM ]
When he was drafted, it was known he was less NFL ready that Iupati. Another year, and he will really be something. The line in general will be a very nice asset.
He is only 22-23. They were asking alot from Davis by pairing him with another inexperienced OL in Chilo. Its hard to develope if yourlinemate ain't doing his job and you gotta worry about what he is going to do. Having a veteran savy enough to move and slide where he needs to be helps the younger fogus on his assignment.

Plus the blocking schemes and game plans makes his job easier when it is not ovbious what the niners are going to do.