LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Anthony Davis a BUST?

this thread needs to die, anthony davis is fine, he was a damn young rookie
Not saying he's a bust, but this is feeling more and more like a Sing pick;

•Linebacker Thaddeus Gibson repeatedly won battles during one-on-one pass-rush drills. He beat rookie Donovan Edwards twice in a row, then beat starting right tackle Anthony Davis to the inside. Davis won the rematch. Gibson later came up short in coverage against speedy tight end Delanie Walker. Ahmad Brooks beat Davis for a would-be sack in team drills.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Not saying he's a bust, but this is feeling more and more like a Sing pick;

•Linebacker Thaddeus Gibson repeatedly won battles during one-on-one pass-rush drills. He beat rookie Donovan Edwards twice in a row, then beat starting right tackle Anthony Davis to the inside. Davis won the rematch. Gibson later came up short in coverage against speedy tight end Delanie Walker. Ahmad Brooks beat Davis for a would-be sack in team drills.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

hes fine he also wona lot of battles he even shut down clat matthews he will improve and within next 3 to 4 years i think he will be one of the best
Originally posted by EdEs:
This thread is an
Dude is what 21 yrs old nOw if not soon! Anthony davis is no kwami harris no i cant see the future, give the guy some time! If we had a lil more creativity on offense last yr he coulda looked much better! 8-9 constantly in the box is hard to block consistently! If it persists i will be the first to agree! But lets see preseason and first few games! Besides we have a compitent west coast offense now! Quicker passes!
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Davis' biggest problem last year was he lacked the strength to handle a bull rush. OTOH, when he faced a guy that used speed and quickness, like Clay Matthews, he stoned him. Good footwork is Davis' greatest asset right now.

Eh... while he did have troubles with bull rushers, he more so had problems with quickness. He showed very poor recovery quickness. I kept reading how athletic he was... even watched about half of the Rutgers games his last season and he looked good at LT in pass pro for his size. Still... he was much, much, slower at RT in year 1 for us. If he got faked one way, he was not good at recovering.

With hopefully having spent some solid time in the weight room over the offseason, he should be much stronger and better able to handle power rushes.

Also, as MD noted, he was often appeared confused by not having a reliable RG playing next to him.

Truth
IMO, when he appeared to lack quickness was when he started "leaning" too hard or too early in an attempt to make up for his lack of strength. When that happened there was no way he could get back on balance and move his feet. OTOH, when he stayed more centered he was able to stay in front of his opponent quite well. Just my observation and the season will tell but that was the way I viewed it.

Also, there were times when he appeared confused by blitz packages and that left him off balance and unable to move well. Some of that was uncertainty about guard play and some just being a rookie.

Davis is a very young kid. He was the second youngest in the league, IIRC. He will naturally gain strength over the next two years. With better schemes and blocking patterns, along with much better coaching, I expect to see him much improved this season.

If anything he keeped getting his hands slapped away! I think he will improve he's always been more talented, and now he's in the nfl! He will grow with Jim, he's so young and talented but he's playing with men now, so he's going to have to get after it!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Davis' biggest problem last year was he lacked the strength to handle a bull rush. OTOH, when he faced a guy that used speed and quickness, like Clay Matthews, he stoned him. Good footwork is Davis' greatest asset right now.

Eh... while he did have troubles with bull rushers, he more so had problems with quickness. He showed very poor recovery quickness. I kept reading how athletic he was... even watched about half of the Rutgers games his last season and he looked good at LT in pass pro for his size. Still... he was much, much, slower at RT in year 1 for us. If he got faked one way, he was not good at recovering.

With hopefully having spent some solid time in the weight room over the offseason, he should be much stronger and better able to handle power rushes.

Also, as MD noted, he was often appeared confused by not having a reliable RG playing next to him.

Truth
IMO, when he appeared to lack quickness was when he started "leaning" too hard or too early in an attempt to make up for his lack of strength. When that happened there was no way he could get back on balance and move his feet. OTOH, when he stayed more centered he was able to stay in front of his opponent quite well. Just my observation and the season will tell but that was the way I viewed it.

Also, there were times when he appeared confused by blitz packages and that left him off balance and unable to move well. Some of that was uncertainty about guard play and some just being a rookie.

Davis is a very young kid. He was the second youngest in the league, IIRC. He will naturally gain strength over the next two years. With better schemes and blocking patterns, along with much better coaching, I expect to see him much improved this season.

If anything he keeped getting his hands slapped away! I think he will improve he's always been more talented, and now he's in the nfl! He will grow with Jim, he's so young and talented but he's playing with men now, so he's going to have to get after it!

Well said and i agree! The one i worry bout is chilo but he may actually get it as well! But only time will tell my friend! I wouldnt mind snyder at guard neither!
Offensive lineman usually take at least a year to grasp the NFL. I believe we will see a definite improvement with our line this year. They will eventually gel into an elite group with more playing time together!
I totally agree, only Amobi Okoye was younger when he started an NFL game. Davis is going to be so good for years to come. This guy is so big, athletic and strong. just naturally gifted, Im really excited to see him develop.
To Be Fair;

Davis looks considerably better in pass protection. But we'll see if that carries over against the New Orleans Saints on Friday.

Read more: Maiocco: A closer look at 49ers depth chart
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

From Maiocco, today.

• mike
  • Veteran
I really hope he improves...If he does bust we'll always look at bulaga sort of like how people look at smith and wish we picked rodgers.

People say he has a lot of room to improve, but will he ever catch or perhaps surpass Bulaga?
Even if he were a bust, it'd still be too early to tell. He's not Kwame Harris or Kentwan Balmer. I honestly think he's physically more gifted and potentially more talented than Iupati (and that's saying a lot)...just a matter of him reaching that potential. At worst he'll be above average.
Originally posted by mike:
I really hope he improves...If he does bust we'll always look at bulaga sort of like how people look at smith and wish we picked rodgers.

People say he has a lot of room to improve, but will he ever catch or perhaps surpass Bulaga?

Didn't the Packers move Bulaga to guard? I'll take Iupati.
Yea his progression might have teh 2nd biggest impact on teh offense behind Smith. dude just simply has to do better.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Didn't the Packers move Bulaga to guard? I'll take Iupati.

No, playing left tackle all the way.
Share 49ersWebzone