There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Forget About the Secondary - NT Is Now a HUGE Concern for 2010

Franklin will show after they break camp and 2 a days. He will then sign the biggest contract he has ever had and play in the final 2 or three preseason games. Just relax and hope there are no major injuries during camp.

[ Edited by leakyfausett on Jul 31, 2010 at 18:11:49 ]
Well I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens..

As far as RJF is concerned... Ya never know.. Considered undersized for a NT in the 3-4 scheme, drafted in the 7th round... Same thing was said about Jay Ratliff.. Not saying it's going to turn out that way... But ya never know with these things.. We might come to find out he just needed to be thrown in and BAM, the lights go on, ya know...

So we'll see.. GO NINERS!!!!
  • TIM_
  • Veteran
NT is not a major concern if you are basing that conclusion on Franklin holding out. He will sign his tender and take his $7 million to play in 2010,no doubt.
Unless Jean Francois shows amazing talent this season,we were probably going to draft another NT in 2011 anyway (or get one in FA).
The team has needed one for years but you can't get everything all at once. I think in 2011 we go after a NT and a Corner in the early rounds of the draft.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So just for the record, everyone who said don't worry? I had a feeling this was going to be a holdout and it certainly is looking that way.

The 49ers need a NT and RJF may be a nice story, but there's a reason why Franklin in the starter and RJF was on the practice squad. I like Mike Tomsula (DL coach) but he hasn't really turned out DL talent into an All-Pro squad.

We run the 3-4 and it all starts with the NT. Franklin knows this. He can't be fined because he's not under contract. He has the team by the balls right now and he knows it. I would hold out too since he has the most leverage right now. All of you say that he'll sign because "$7 million is nothing to sneeze at" but if a player has been smart with their money in past contracts, and they have leverage to negotiate for a higher, long term salary, the would be wise to do so.

It essentially comes down to this:

No Franklin.

No playoffs.

I WANT TO BE WRONG ON THIS ONE. I REALLY WANT TO BE WRONG.

I dont think our key is Franklin, its whether Alex improves and stays healthy.

And RJF wasnt on the PS last yr, he was on active roster all 16 games, and has improved alot, so much I can see him as primary backup to Franklin. I can see 5 or 6 DL kept, especially when we have Lawson and Haralson who could play DE at some times.

I stand corrected, RJF was not on the PS squad last year - I meant being a 7th rounder here .....

I guess I see it as the 49ers will be good if Alex plays well while none of us assumed in that calculus that our starting NT would be a possible holdout. I think the assumption was Smith is the key (assumed of course if all other areas on defense play at the same level they played last season).

The less effective the defense is, the improved Smith (and to OL) will have to be for a playoff birth.

Just my 2 cents. IMHO, I don't think someone is much improved as an assessment without that player have any starts.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Jul 31, 2010 at 17:19:49 ]
I doubt the niners brass is worried about Franklin not playing this year. He has no where to go that would sacrifice a two frist round picks for him, and it's impossible for the 9ers to sign him to a long term deal at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesnt' show up for a week or two. He's looking for a long term deal with a lot of guarenteed money - something he's never really had in his career. If he gets injured in any way he greatly reduces his chances of getting guarenteed money. On the 9ers side, why would they throw a lot of resources at rushing to resign a 30 year old player that has no chance of leaving this season when they want[ed] to sign Willis, Davis and Goldson to extensions? I expect Franklin to show up late for camp(which will be a good thing for the depth chart - more reps for backups) and then play even better than he did last season as an audition for possible suitors. Either way, it bodes well for the 9ers.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
So just for the record, everyone who said don't worry? I had a feeling this was going to be a holdout and it certainly is looking that way.

The 49ers need a NT and RJF may be a nice story, but there's a reason why Franklin in the starter and RJF was on the practice squad. I like Mike Tomsula (DL coach) but he hasn't really turned out DL talent into an All-Pro squad.

We run the 3-4 and it all starts with the NT. Franklin knows this. He can't be fined because he's not under contract. He has the team by the balls right now and he knows it. I would hold out too since he has the most leverage right now. All of you say that he'll sign because "$7 million is nothing to sneeze at" but if a player has been smart with their money in past contracts, and they have leverage to negotiate for a higher, long term salary, the would be wise to do so.

It essentially comes down to this:

No Franklin.

No playoffs.

I WANT TO BE WRONG ON THIS ONE. I REALLY WANT TO BE WRONG.

I dont think our key is Franklin, its whether Alex improves and stays healthy.

And RJF wasnt on the PS last yr, he was on active roster all 16 games, and has improved alot, so much I can see him as primary backup to Franklin. I can see 5 or 6 DL kept, especially when we have Lawson and Haralson who could play DE at some times.

I stand corrected, RJF was not on the PS squad last year - I meant being a 7th rounder here .....

I guess I see it as the 49ers will be good if Alex plays well while none of us assumed in that calculus that our starting NT would be a possible holdout. I think the assumption was Smith is the key (assumed of course if all other areas on defense play at the same level they played last season).

The less effective the defense is, the improved Smith (and to OL) will have to be for a playoff birth.

Just my 2 cents. IMHO, I don't think someone is much improved as an assessment without that player have any starts.

no prob, also didnt mean it as a blasting or being ignorant in any way, just wanted to point that out.

I too want Franklin in here and ready for Season opener, but if not im confident in RJF
What would he hold out for? The deadline to sign franchise players to a long term contract has passed. They can't negotiate until after the season. He is just mad they didn't give him a contract and maybe he won't report right away, but he will play. It's $7 million AND he is auditioning for his big contract, whether with the niners or another team.

[ Edited by cubanb on Jul 31, 2010 at 19:36:42 ]
NT Ricky Jean Francois working very hard

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/07/jean-francois-bonds-with-phil-collins.html

Quote:
RJF knew he'd be working harder than ever this August, so he found a new way to prepare. "Everything I did was on sand. I never did nothing on grass," he said today. "I felt by doing everything on sand, I'd get a little faster, my twitches would get a little more quicker." Jean Francois spent much of July running on the Miami waterfront, between Haulover Beach and South Beach. Temperatures were hitting 100 degrees on the East Coast this summer, so he got up at 5:30 a.m. for his workouts. "It helped my endurance," he said. "Because the first day I was on sand, trying to run like a mile, I died on that one. I probably lasted the first three minutes. But I did it three days out the week. So every time I kept doing it, doing it, then I got longer, longer. I got to the point that I almost got to South Beach. Probably like eight, nine miles." And sweating was just the half of it. Jean Francois has been working hard mentally, too. To prepare for his leap, Jean Francois spent my time breaking down film than he ever has before. "The days I got up and didn't work out, I just sat there for like six to seven hours looking at film," he said.
as long as we have this guy we should be fine
4-3
What in the blue hell would Franklin gain from holding out? lol nothing. He might as well get his ass in camp and play like he did last year and it will be a win-win situation for both parties. Get to work son and contribute to the 49ers this year we need him and at the same time he needs us, If he wants to win some games and taste the playoffs.
2-1
Originally posted by Dshearn:
4-3

Let it go.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
What in the blue hell would Franklin gain from holding out? lol nothing. He might as well get his ass in camp and play like he did last year and it will be a win-win situation for both parties. Get to work son and contribute to the 49ers this year we need him and at the same time he needs us, If he wants to win some games and taste the playoffs.

There's no incentive for Franklin to sign now - he'll get the same amount of money regardless.

Besides, as long as he'll be back to prime form, I rather have RJF get more reps at NT, and let Sopoaga get 2nd string reps while Balmer gets additional reps.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

What would he gain from possibly getting injured in TC? It works both ways.