Not a member? Register Now!

Forget About the Secondary - NT Is Now a HUGE Concern for 2010

Originally posted by schmons:
he ain't gonna give up $7 mil this year, relax

especially when u consider the previous 3 years he made 6 mil
franklin is our key to success... if he holds out we're f**ked
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

this team is the key to his immediate financial success...if he doesn't sign he's f**ked
In this case I rather believe in the team and Baalke's opinions. I think they are pretty impressed with RJF and they have Sopoaga, Khalif Mitchell and maybe Derek Walker who I seem to recall, the niners are high on. Now I know he is a DE and pretty light but he could replace Soap if needed and that leaves 3 NT if needed. Frankly I think RJF will surprise. Sopoaga hated the scheme at NT but that was way back when he was not playing well anywhere. IMO experience is what made him effective and I suspect he could handle the nose just fine now. He might not love it but I think he could play it and as I recall he played it quite a bit last year. If RJF was a scrub, I think we would have had trades already or buckled to Franklin. Just off the record, I sure would love to see Iupati play NT. He could then use his hands and toss guys around like ping pong balls.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

this team is the key to his immediate financial success...if he doesn't sign he's f**ked

Well said........Franklin will not pass up a deal that will pay him more in one year than everything he has been paid up till now. Put away the razor blades........he's going to show.
if we dont keep Franklin next year do we switch back to the 43?

More comfortable for Balmer, Willis, Soap, Franklin??
Yes, Franklin will show... I just hope he's been conditioning himself and doesn't show up with 30 extra pounds.

4-3 D? Probably won't happen, but I'd be for it if we can add a couple of rush DEs for the scheme.
Franklin will show, and he will be in shape. This is basically his "contract year", he's gonna make $7m this year and if he dominates again, then he will land an overpaid longterm contract with some crappy team trying to transition to a 3-4 and needs a proven nose tackle.

Once that happens, RJF, Sopoaga, and Balmer will be splitting NT duties. Worse comes to worse we at least know Sopoaga can stand there and take up centers and guards even though he wont get any penetration.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Yes, Franklin will show... I just hope he's been conditioning himself and doesn't show up with 30 extra pounds.

4-3 D? Probably won't happen, but I'd be for it if we can add a couple of rush DEs for the scheme.

What's funny is that the biggest knock on him is he's under weight. Franklin is a professional, he knows that this year could potentially make him $40M in future contracts. That should make anyone focused.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

What's funny is that the biggest knock on him is he's under weight. Franklin is a professional, he knows that this year could potentially make him $40M in future contracts. That should make anyone focused.

Yeah, I know... I remember that he cut his weight down in the offseason before his contract year. Cahing in on 7 million might be enough to return himself to sloth. Even at 305-ish lbs, it sure didn't look like "good" weight on him. So yes, I hope his greed for more cash will have him in shape.
No Franklin. No playoffs.
So just for the record, everyone who said don't worry? I had a feeling this was going to be a holdout and it certainly is looking that way.

The 49ers need a NT and RJF may be a nice story, but there's a reason why Franklin in the starter and RJF was on the practice squad. I like Mike Tomsula (DL coach) but he hasn't really turned out DL talent into an All-Pro squad.

We run the 3-4 and it all starts with the NT. Franklin knows this. He can't be fined because he's not under contract. He has the team by the balls right now and he knows it. I would hold out too since he has the most leverage right now. All of you say that he'll sign because "$7 million is nothing to sneeze at" but if a player has been smart with their money in past contracts, and they have leverage to negotiate for a higher, long term salary, the would be wise to do so.

It essentially comes down to this:

No Franklin.

No playoffs.

I WANT TO BE WRONG ON THIS ONE. I REALLY WANT TO BE WRONG.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Jul 31, 2010 at 14:33:05 ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So just for the record, everyone who said don't worry? I had a feeling this was going to be a holdout and it certainly is looking that way.

The 49ers need a NT and RJF may be a nice story, but there's a reason why Franklin in the starter and RJF was on the practice squad. I like Mike Tomsula (DL coach) but he hasn't really turned out DL talent into an All-Pro squad.

We run the 3-4 and it all starts with the NT. Franklin knows this. He can't be fined because he's not under contract. He has the team by the balls right now and he knows it. I would hold out too since he has the most leverage right now. All of you say that he'll sign because "$7 million is nothing to sneeze at" but if a player has been smart with their money in past contracts, and they have leverage to negotiate for a higher, long term salary, the would be wise to do so.

No Franklin.

No playoffs.

He doesn't have THAT much leverage, if he has any at all. He will hold out for most of training camp and probably join the team 2-3 weeks before the regular season, but he is gonna sign the contract lol. He can't do anything else for this year. He is preserving his body because this is his "contract" year and he doesn't wanna take a chance getting injured before a real game situation.

Think about the alternative and he holds out. He's under-rated meaning the league doesn't look at him in the Wilfork/Hampton mold. He's over 30 so holding out a year will do nothing to stem concerns of him getting old. He can't play every scheme so he is limited to 1-gap 3-4. On top of that he would of been out of football for a year before he can sign another contract. Dude is gonna sign, he will walk in the last second and be given the starter job, bank on it. Just take a deep breathe and remember its preseason and none of this business crap means anything until an actual game is played.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

No Franklin.

No playoffs.

I dont think our key is Franklin, its whether Alex improves and stays healthy.

And RJF wasnt on the PS last yr, he was on active roster all 16 games, and has improved alot, so much I can see him as primary backup to Franklin. I can see 5 or 6 DL kept, especially when we have Lawson and Haralson who could play DE at some times.
franklin had a good year after they cut down his responsibilities. he finally fit in the scheme and we saw why nolan brought him.

but...he is 30 and he has hit his peak already. he's probably not good enough to dominate for other teams. so, he's not worthy of a long term contract.

however, it does leave a hole for the niners. rjf has progressed but probably won't be up to the same level and soap hasn't shown he can play there for extended periods of time.

so this has to be a focus area for next year's fa period and/or draft. plus, as some point in time, justin smith will slow down a bit, too.