There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Forget About the Secondary - NT Is Now a HUGE Concern for 2010

Originally posted by sean610:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
f**k franklin. ONE decent year and he suddenly thinks he's Albert Haynsworth?

Couldnt agree more. Franklin has no leverage hes almost 30 years old. And besides RJF will be a beast. People forget there was never a question of RJF's talent. If the niners had any doubt they would have atleast had talks with Franklin and I havent heard any.

Maybe they're hoping Franklin's asking price will go down (if $$$$ amounts were even discussed). If we had good depth at NT, then he'd have little leverage in contract negotiations. But since we don't (Sopoaga is more comfortable at DE, Balmer is more of a DE, too), then Franklin may have the advantage and sitting out could make Baalke, York and the rest give in. Although I respect Willis' word and how he compliments Franklin's abilities, I think it's the same situation as Goldson...one good year shouldn't be enough to guarantee a huge contract.

IMO, he should just sign the FT...I can't believe him and his agent think $7 mil. isn't enough...especially since he played what 2-3 yrs for $6 mil. total in contract money recently.
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Couldnt agree more. Franklin has no leverage hes almost 30 years old. And besides RJF will be a beast. People forget there was never a question of RJF's talent. If the niners had any doubt they would have atleast had talks with Franklin and I havent heard any.

Maybe they're hoping Franklin's asking price will go down (if $$$$ amounts were even discussed). If we had good depth at NT, then he'd have little leverage in contract negotiations. But since we don't (Sopoaga is more comfortable at DE, Balmer is more of a DE, too), then Franklin may have the advantage and sitting out could make Baalke, York and the rest give in. Although I respect Willis' word and how he compliments Franklin's abilities, I think it's the same situation as Goldson...one good year shouldn't be enough to guarantee a huge contract.

IMO, he should just sign the FT...I can't believe him and his agent think $7 mil. isn't enough...especially since he played what 2-3 yrs for $6 mil. total in contract money recently.

Given the recent "run" to sign NTs back to their own squads, I can see Franklin trying to hold out for more money. I just don't think that is it. Instead, he wants that LONG TERM deal which the brass is not willing to give him because of all the other players to sign extensions like Davis and Goldson.

This will get interesting...
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by lamontb:
It's a 3 day mini camp it would be a big deal if he wasn't showing up for TC. I'm not concerned at this point. I agree that the team did seem to pretty much skip over adding depth/youth to the NT, We have to wait and see what RJF can actually do.

a 3-day mini-camp with every vet in camp? and it's officially designated a "mandatory" camp? When was the last time you heard a 49er sitting out a mandatory camp outside of Crabtree? It's been a very, very long time.

There is cause for concern here especially since there is no NFL-starting caliber back-up. Jean-Francios is a PS player IMHO. I like him, I just don't think he's a starter.

WARNING WILL ROBINSON - this was the same approach we took with Marvel Smith and we convinced ourselves Snyder was actually a starter. Remember how that ended? A failed offense and 2 draft picks on the OL. Do we really need to blow up the season because we can't plan ahead a bit?

I would like to not take a NT with our 1st round pick

That's b/c they didn't have any players worth franchising and that player trying to leverage himself for more money. This is what happens when guys step up and perform. and look at his age this is the team when guys try to get that last big contract b/c in 3 years he's not gonna get any big time money. Sadly it's part of the game. If he's still holding out come training camp then I would be more concerned. I think you getting overly concerned at this point I can't see how this resembles Marvel Smith. Smith was brought in and signed to be a starter after coming off a major injury. RJf is just taking snaps while a guy isn't in mini camp and is the back up. I agree RJf is a big question mark and I'm not sure he can get it done either but he's a back up player and won't be the starter unless there is an injury. As of right now homie the back up plan is RJF.
Relax. He'll sign his tender and play.
I wouldn't worry about it. He'll sign. And Franklin never played good until he was in a contract year. I doubt he would pay off in a long term deal anyway.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

yep, or sit out a year at the end of his career. Whicj=h isnt going to happen.

I just wonder what his problem is. This will be the most he has ever made in a season by far yet he hasnt signed the tender yet. Its close to 10 mil i believe.
I'm not too worried about it. Franklin has benefited from great d-line coaching and a change to a 1-gap to better suit his skill set. In fact, according to Football Outsiders, they had us (Franklin) ranked the following against the run:

Football Outsiders

Franklin against: Left Tackle: #1 Mid/Guard: #10 Right Tackle: #9

This means Franklin, a slashing 1-gap NT (not your prototypical NT) is slashing to his right between the left guard and tackle very well (with help from Smith) but not surprisingly d/t his size and strength, straight up and to his left (with help from Sopoaga), he's struggling more. RJF is the exact same type of player.

I have NOT been happy with the Niners over MANY years in ignoring the NT position and last year was no different. What made ALL the difference in Franklin's game was good coaching, a scheme that was adopted to his skill-set and many many years of experience in our defense.

Aside from not going after a premium NT which 3-4 teams seem to do every single year, again, Sopoaga is having to now share NT snaps again which takes away from his primary focus on LDE where he was starting to grow and excel in (see Nolan's versatility plan = fail). And no, Balmer is NOT a NT no matter how much we'd like to fit a square peg into a round hole.

If we end up having to play w/o Franklin, I have little doubt RJF will play up to these numbers and be coached up well plus he'd have the help of two experienced DE's that are even more experienced in Sopoaga and Smith.

I will be watching RJF closely to see how he holds the POC at the snap and watch to see if he's moved back easily. Neither Franklin or RJF are the type of players who will be taking on two blockers and pushing them back into the QB's face as he tries to step up. They are leaner NT's and rely on quickness at the snap and slashing "between linemen" to be successful.

Next year, like I've said for 10 years now, we need to draft a dominant prototypical NT in round one to help take this defense to the next level.

My point: Don't worry...we'll be fine...unless RJF goes down, of course. But even that said, we'd move Sopoaga to NT and start Balmer at LDE. Would that be a huge drop-off IYHO?

[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 17, 2010 at 10:35:31 ]
Originally posted by Dominate:

yep, or sit out a year at the end of his career. Whicj=h isnt going to happen.

I just wonder what his problem is. This will be the most he has ever made in a season by far yet he hasnt signed the tender yet. Its close to 10 mil i believe.

Honestly, I think that since he knows that he;s got $7M in the bank, he sees no need to attend OTAs and risk injury. Nothing more.

Most RFAs sign their tender once the season approaches. It is good business.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Given the recent "run" to sign NTs back to their own squads, I can see Franklin trying to hold out for more money. I just don't think that is it. Instead, he wants that LONG TERM deal which the brass is not willing to give him because of all the other players to sign extensions like Davis and Goldson.

This will get interesting...

I hear you after this year Franklin Goldson Lawson VD AND Smith are in line for deals and I only see 3 out of 5 getting deals at numbers they want. Davis is lock if Smith steps up hes a lock. Lawson doubtful because I think hes reached his ceiling. So to me its between Franklin and Goldson.

That's kinda funny considering Haynsworth didn't show up to the Skins camp either.
This is why I kept screaming for us to draft a NT in the last 3 drafts!!!..Of course I was roundly booed for such a suggestion... Looks like I am right yet again .. They need to scour the waiver wire or explore a trade for a young backup NT, or get a wiley vet-because this has the potential to get BAD!!
We should always have TWO true NT's on the roster, if Franklin goes down then it's going to be a rotation of RJF and Ice, both are big strong lineman, but we need Franklins size in the middle, hopefully we draft one in the future, if were going to be a true 3-4 defense, we need a TRUE NT on the roster, and franklin knows this and using it as leverage
franklin has been a steady and sometimes a damn good player for this team during his tour here. it's unfortunate that he's now playing the best football of his career during this later stage. he should sign his RFA contract and get with the program. its not likely that he'll see that type of money for 1 year of play again unless he has a monster year. hell sign or there's a chance that he wont see any cash for two seasons.

hell sometimes i wonder if he was ever in the teams long term plans only because when they signed him he was already 27-28 now he'll be 30 soon enough. when the last time you've seen a player with no rings, pro bowls who's not a QB get a big payday after 30?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DJD:
The dude is not under contract, has no long term security and wants a long term deal. Risking injury at a mini-camp is a risk not worth taking for a player in that situation. Don't read more into it than that.

Couldn't of said it any better!