There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

0-5 Start to the new Season

Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
First off, we will beat Seattle opening day. We are a stronger team than they are. We are just as good as the Eagles or Falcons now. I'm not saying we will beat them because anything can happen. Plus the Eagles lost McNabb so who knows how Kolb will play. And the Chiefs man? We will beat them. I say 3-2 or 2-3 to start out.

Agreed.

McNabb was THE reason we lost to the Eagles. He beat us with his feet, not his accuracy. Colb does not have the ability to kill a team with his feet, and I doubt he is any more accurate than McNabb.

When they lost Dawkins, I was no longer afraid of their defense. Now that they lost McNabb, I am no longer afraid of the Eagles.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by amigoj49:

Arrowhead is one of the toughest places to play - LOSS

lol Arrowhead is a tough place to play? is that why KC went 1-7 at home in 09, 1-7 at home in 2008, 2-6 at home in 2007?

the Chiefs are 4-20 since 2007 at Arrowhead, and we play there before it gets cold. were not losing that one.

hey look someone who did their research

[ Edited by WestCoast on Jun 4, 2010 at 1:33 AM ]
Ur mind fails.
Here is our full 2010 season schedule:

Sun 9/12 @Seahawks
Mon 9/20 Saints
Sun 9/26 @Chiefs
Sun 10/03 @Falcons
Sun 10/10 Eagles
Sun 10/17 Raiders
Sun 10/24 @Panthers
Sun 10/31 Broncos
BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

Here are my thoughts and reasons:

Season opener @Seattle is no picnic - LOSS
Defending Champions, Saints, very difficult - LOSS
Falcons, they could kill us - LOSS
Eagles, a strong team - LOSS

I am just trying to look at our season from the worst possible scenario. Above losses are definite possiblities. BUT, let's look at the rest of the season:

Raiders, come on! - WIN
@Panthers, a running team - WIN
Broncos, can you say Tebow? - WIN
Rams, junk - WIN
Bucanneers, we are just better - WIN
@Cardinals, we OWN them - WIN
@Packers, tough one - LOSS
Seahawks, Pete who? - WIN
@Chargers, let's just stay being a pessimist - LOSS
@Rams, they are still the rams - WIN
Cardinals, for the division - WIN

Obviously, I don't want to see us start out 0-5. But, even if we were to start out 0-5, we can end up at 9-7. AND if we can win 2 out of those first 5 games and unfortunately lose an unexpected one somewhere, we would still end up at 10-6. And most likely WIN our division.

Before the start of last year, I thought we were going to make the playoffs.... I would have bet my little pinky on that... And would have sadly lost it.

But as you can see, I think we got this now! I am so dang excited for our season. My wish for the playoffs is going to finally happen fo sho! Go Niners!

The only games in my mind that we *should* lose are the Saints and the Falcons. The Saints of course because of their high octane offense, though I think our defense is talented enough to keep our offense, whose performance is the key to the game IMO in it. Looking at the stats, the Saints weren't all that great against the run (finished 21st last year allowing an average of 122 ypg), so I'm sure they'll see heavy dose of it come game time. Pound the clock, and keep Brees off the field.

And they're flying across country to us, which is another advantage.

The Falcons on the other hand worry me far more than the Saints due to our absolutely abysmal performance against them last season (in our house no less). They are very talented on both sides of the ball, and can score with anybody.

Hopefully we took a lot of notes from last year's game, and we'll be ready for them.

Either way we'll have a pretty good idea of how the season is going to turn out by week 5. I'm predicting 4-1 (we lose to Atlanta), but no worse than 3-2.

Playoffs in 2010 baby!
Here are the post Jeff Garcia era stats for our opening 5. This team should be better than every one of the teams in the past 6 years.

3-2 in 09.
2-3 in 08
2-3 in 07
2-3 in 06
1-4 in 05
1-4 in 04

I predict 3-2. No worse than 2-3. We SHOULD beat SEA and KC. We can beat the Falcons and we won't "look past them" this year. N.O. is probably a loss but he we MIGHT win. The eagles are an unkown quantity and I think we will win at home. No McNabb. No westbrook? We should have the D to deal with their offense.
Originally posted by baltien:

Sun 9/12 @Seahawks
Mon 9/20 Saints
Sun 9/26 @Chiefs
Sun 10/03 @Falcons
Sun 10/10 Eagles
Sun 10/17 Raiders
Sun 10/24 @Panthers
Sun 10/31 Broncos
BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

I am just trying to look at our season from the worst possible scenario. Above losses are definite possiblities. BUT, let's look at the rest of the season:

Raiders, come on! - WIN
Rams, junk - WIN

Obviously, I don't want to see us start out 0-5. But, even if we were to start out 0-5, we can end up at 9-7. AND if we can win 2 out of those first 5 games and unfortunately lose an unexpected one somewhere, we would still end up at 10-6. And most likely WIN our division.

Before the start of last year, I thought we were going to make the playoffs.... I would have bet my little pinky on that... And would have sadly lost it.

But as you can see, I think we got this now! I am so dang excited for our season. My wish for the playoffs is going to finally happen fo sho! Go Niners!

The only games in my mind that we *should* lose are the Saints and the Falcons. The Saints of course because of their high octane offense, though I think our defense is talented enough to keep our offense, whose performance is the key to the game IMO in it. Looking at the stats, the Saints weren't all that great against the run (finished 21st last year allowing an average of 122 ypg), so I'm sure they'll see heavy dose of it come game time. Pound the clock, and keep Brees off the field.

And they're flying across country to us, which is another advantage.

The Falcons on the other hand worry me far more than the Saints due to our absolutely abysmal performance against them last season (in our house no less). They are very talented on both sides of the ball, and can score with anybody.

Hopefully we took a lot of notes from last year's game, and we'll be ready for them.

Either way we'll have a pretty good idea of how the season is going to turn out by week 5. I'm predicting 4-1 (we lose to Atlanta), but no worse than 3-2.

Playoffs in 2010 baby!

Yes, if I had to put my money on where we would be after first 5 games, I would say 3-2... But I was trying to prove a point that even if the worst were to happen, we should still make the playoffs. As a fan, our hearts tend to always overshadow reality. I could sit here and say, for sure that we'd take care of the Saints on Monday. And I truly believe that we could... BUT, most people around the country would say that the Saints should win.

We have an improved team from last year but my biggest concern, even after the draft, is our secondary. I don't feel that Taylor Mays would fix our issues of giving up long pass plays.

I want the best for our team, just like most of you.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol Arrowhead is a tough place to play? is that why KC went 1-7 at home in 09, 1-7 at home in 2008, 2-6 at home in 2007?

the Chiefs are 4-20 since 2007 at Arrowhead, and we play there before it gets cold. were not losing that one.

hey look someone who did their research

If you look at a team's record during their rebuilding years, of course, it is going to be skewed! But the fact is that the Chiefs are an improved team this year. Many are saying that they may even contend for the division. And the fact is that the Chiefs have a 104–40 home record at Arrowhead stadium since 1990, the BEST in the NFL! (I have google on my computer too!)
No Amigo.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm calling it right now, we will beat the Saints at home!!!! Our running game will pound that defense, and our defense will hold Brees to under 250 yards passing.

you got mad faith bro. I am more of a realist than an optimist. I think the d might hold up but they will come out like defending champs do. CONFIDENT.

Yeah, as optimistic as I want to be, I don't see our defense stopping them. Also, seeing what they did to the Colts in the Super Bowl last year, their defense really scares me. They aren't necessarily the best defense when it comes to stats (other than one). But they are VERY opportunistic and do an amazing job at creating turnovers. And everything I'm hearing so far this year from the mini-camps (lots of Sirius NFL Radio during my commutes), the Saints' D should be even better this year than last. That is going to be a very difficult win to pull out.

Sun 9/12 @Seahawks
Mon 9/20 Saints
Sun 9/26 @Chiefs
Sun 10/03 @Falcons
Sun 10/10 Eagles
Sun 10/17 Raiders
Sun 10/24 @Panthers
Sun 10/31 Broncos
BYE
Sun 11/14 Rams
Sun 11/21 Buccaneers
Mon 11/29 @Cardinals
Sun 12/5 @Packers
Sun 12/12 Seahawks
Thur 12/16 @Chargers
Sun 12/26 @Rams
Sun 1/2 Cardinals

Raiders, come on! - WIN
Rams, junk - WIN

Well if we go 0-5 we may as well just forget about a division title or the playoffs for that matter. If we can't compete with playoff teams, what's the point in making the playoffs? For an early exit?

IMO this team is primed to make some seriuos noise in the league after another training camp under Sing, Manusky and the rest of the coaching staff. The Niners WILL be ready to kick some a$$ come Sept. Believe it!
OMG, if we go 0-5 to start the season, the webzone will be put on suicide watch.

BTW, NO Freakin way we lose to the chiefs.
I'm going to say 3-3 to start the season.

We're not going to beat New Orleans. Don't over analyze that game. They're going to score 32 points like they do every week and you really think Alex is capable of matching that against that ball hawking secondary?

I don't think we beat Atlanta in Atlanta either. That's a better football team than most people give credit for. Inconsisant, but when they can get everything going they can beat anyone.

Philly is a win, but I see us slipping against either Kansas City or Seattle or Oakland. So far we're not a team that you can just pencil in wins unless it's against a complete door mat. Don't overlook Oakland either. That's a team that beat some pretty good teams last season despite having some pretty bad QB play.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jun 4, 2010 at 8:37 AM ]
There are no guaranteed losses for this team. Those days are over.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
There are no guaranteed losses for this team. Those days are over.

THIS!