There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All Respect For Lowell Cohn Is Lost (UPDATED)

EXCUSE ME!

I said EXCUSE ME.

Now that I have everyone's attention...

Lowell Cohn is RIGHT on the money. You guys really need to get over yourselves. Cohn has nailed it AGAIN. He's right on EVERY single SOLID point.

For those of you who continue to pray over Alex Smith's jockstrap -- I have a little message for you:

SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS.

Alex Smith has had FIVE years he was worth the number one pick. He hasn't done it yet. He hasn't come close to doing it. And I highly doubt he'll do it this year. Why do I assume this? See: the previous five seasons.

I get SICK and TIRED of whiney Niner fans who complain about this reporter or that reporter who refuses to drink the koolaid coming from the Jed York Corporation. Gimme a break. I want solid reporting. I want objective reporting. I don't want some Michael Silver brown noser of a piece on Smith's "potential."

Two thumbs up for Cohn. He tells it like it is. So does Kawakami. I wish we had more of them. Maiocco was on his way to joining these ranks until he jumped ship and now suks Niner d*ck for Comcast. He's reduced himself to cheerleader status.

Sad.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
EXCUSE ME!

I said EXCUSE ME.

Lowell Cohn is RIGHT on the money. You guys really need to get over yourselves. Cohn has nailed it AGAIN. He's right on EVERY single SOLID point.

For those of you who continue to pray over Alex Smith's jockstrap -- I have a little message for you:

Alex Smith has had FIVE years he was worth the number one pick. He hasn't done it yet. He hasn't come close to doing it. And I highly doubt he'll do it this year. Why do I assume this? See: the previous five seasons.

I get SICK and TIRED of whiney Niner fans who complain about this reporter or that reporter who refuses to drink the koolaid coming from the Jed York Corporation. Gimme a break. I want solid reporting. I want objective reporting. I don't want some Michael Silver brown noser of a piece on Smith's "potential."

Two thumbs up for Cohn. He tells it like it is. So does Kawakami. I wish we had more of them. Maiocco was on his way to joining these ranks until he jumped ship and now suks Niner d*ck for Comcast. He's reduced himself to cheerleader status.

Sad.

that last article on alex smith was sooo bad. I agree that alex hasnt proven anything, and i am hopeful, yet skeptical. However, jumping all over him because he said great quarterbacks take what the defense gives them is a huge reach. Smith was dead on with that quote. Guys like brady, manning and brees will take the 6 yard pass all day if thats all the defense gives them.

Not really. A game manager is a QB who doesn't screw up. He is not necessarily a guy doing things "really well." If we agreed with Cohn's definition of a game manager, then every WCO QB, including Montana and Young, is a game manager, as the WCO philosophy is ball control using the passing game.
EXCUSE ME!

I said EXCUSE ME.

Sad.

Bill, I do not think that I could disagree with you any more.
He has always been awful. I suppose the reason we read his stuff is similar to the reason we look at bad car accidents.
EXCUSE ME!

I said EXCUSE ME.

Sad.

lol Maiocco was pretty pro Smith even before he joined comcast so you're using revisionist history here. And your point where you say "I want objective and solid reporting vs some Michael Silver brown noser piece on potential" can be translated to "I want to read something that agrees with me rather than something that disagrees with me", because you already have a view that's not going to change so that's what you see as objective.

Oh and when you say that the Jed York corporation is handing out kool aid, nobody is forcing you to watch this time. Nobody is saying "OMG WHAT THE FRICK WOULD I DO WITHOUT BILL BIRD'S POSTS ON TEH FORTEH NINAHZ WEBZONE, OMG HE IS SUCH TEH GENIUSES LULZ". If you don't want to read about this team then don't do it, if you don't like the owner nobody is forcing you to be a fan, if you don't like the QB nobody is forcing you to watch him. His teammates like him. Many of the fans don't have a problem with him anymore. He has gotten better. And Jed York's "kool aid corporation" or whatever you want to call it just posted the best record this team's had in 8 years, so I'd say he's done better than a "kool aid corporation" should. He's only been the owner for one year and you want to rip him. You're posting like a troll dude, straight up.
EXCUSE ME!

I said EXCUSE ME.

Sad.

Nice to hear from Lowell Cohn's mother.

Nobody else would approve of Cohn's biased perspectives on the 49ers.

Only an idiot would suggest that Alex Smith - who has never had the same system for two years in a row until this year - is a bust. Every single sports reporter (except Ray Ratto, who is worse than Cohn when it comes to biased and unsupported viewpoints on the 49ers) who is worth his or her salt has acknowledged that AS should perform much better this year because he has the same system to work with; that this year we will truly determine the value of Smith.

But not Lowell Cohn or his billbird mother (only a mother would approve of Cohn's work).

I want to know where these idiots will be and what they will say when AS leads the team to the playoffs?!

Oh, and by the way Mrs. Cohn - LOWELL COHN IS WRONG!

EXCUSE ME!

I said EXCUSE ME.

Sad.

How is Cohn a "solid" reporter? He completely missed Smith's point and twisted his words around.

It's one thing to say "I don't like Smith's quarterback abilities, I have my doubts".

It's quite another to say "The shpck jock journalist is spot on. Every thing Cohn said about Smith's take on quarterback play is right. Alex Smith is a game manager, because he doesn't run like Michael Vick."

That's essentially what you are saying by agreeing with Cohn's article.

Fans like you make me sick.
^ best user name in a long time.
Bill Bird finds the reaction to his initial observations to be sad. I'm glad none of you were around during the 49er glory years.

Legends like Bill Walsh, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and so many other greats from the past were routinely ripped and grilled back in "the day" when the Chronicle assigned three reporters to the 49er beat.

You don't like what Lowell Cohn has to say about Alex Smith? Really? You would have lynched Glenn Dickey for his years long assault of Montana -- an assault that Dickey would later apologize for in print following the '88 Super Bowl win.

The spotlight on this team is nothing like it once was and nothing like you'd find in major media markets like New York in Los Angeles -- albeit they are hurting as well.

I didn't come here to drink any Niner koolaid. I don't watch this team and pay for tickets to pay homage to the Jed York Corporation. I watch this team because I love them with all my heart and I want to see a COMPETITIVE and WINNING team put on the field year in and year out.

I don't know if any of you have noticed or not -- but we haven't had that in a LONG time. It seems like all of you have grown accustomed to losing teams or holding the jockstrap of one particular player or another.

And if someone like Lowell Cohn dares suggest that something might be wrong in Wonderland -- let me tell you -- after seven straight horrid seasons I'm darn happy to see it.

Cohn is a breath of fresh air in what has become of bowl of stale media mediocrity. If I see one more article about how well Smith is performing in "this drill" or training camp -- I think I'm gonna puke.
I have to agree with billbird. The article didn't seem to directly bash Smith, but merely stated that he has not done squat to earn any sort of respect. He is a hard worker, well so are most of the other NFL players.

Cohn didn't even take the cautiously optimistic stance, which is sort of where I stand. I am not sure if that is the part that wants Smith to succeed for the sake of the niners, or if I actually believe he can be good.

While I do not normally agree with Cohn, him saying that Smith has not done anything and has much to prove to be average is pretty accurate...