LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

More on Solari making a HUGE difference

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
The only decent player Solari had in Seattle was Walter Jones (who was either injured or when playing a shadow of his former self). Giving him Staley, Heitmann and 2 first round picks, by mid season this line will be dominant
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
The only decent player Solari had in Seattle was Walter Jones (who was either injured or when playing a shadow of his former self). Giving him Staley, Heitmann and 2 first round picks, by mid season this line will be dominant

I start to get all tingly when I envision a 49er QB with time and a pocket to throw in. It's hard for me even to imagine.

Simply not true. Wahle was a good player. Sims was decent at both RG and LG. Locklear is a good RT. He did prove that he is not a LT though. At least not in the NFL.
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:

Simply not true. Wahle was a good player. Sims was decent at both RG and LG. Locklear is a good RT. He did prove that he is not a LT though. At least not in the NFL.

I'm a long time Niner fan now living in Seattle and the problems with the Seahawks' O-line the past couple of years were more a product of injuries than anything else....but the lack of talent was also an issue. Walter Jones missed most of the past two years and the Hawks didn't have a replacement. They moved guys all over the place hoping to plug holes but there were simply too many. Due to the fact that they had to move guys so often no continuity could be established. Wahle didn't play much for them at all as I recall and Unger was inexperienced. It was a mess...but not the fault of the coaches. Unger played well all things considered and that should be the measuring stick.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jun 6, 2010 at 12:59 AM ]
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

I'm a long time Niner fan now living in Seattle and the problems with the Seahawks' O-line the past couple of years were more a product of injuries than anything else....but the lack of talent was also an issue. Walter Jones missed most of the past two years and the Hawks didn't have a replacement. They moved guys all over the place hoping to plug holes but there were simply too many. Due to the fact that they had to move guys so often no continuity could be established. Wahle didn't play much for them at all as I recall and Unger was inexperienced. It was a mess...but not the fault of the coaches. Unger played well all things considered and that should be the measuring stick.

From nagging injuries to constantly having to shuffle the o-line, that isn't a good situation to have. The offensive line needs time to gel together.
[ Edited by PTulini on Jun 6, 2010 at 1:13 AM ]

T Anthony Davis and T/G Adam Snyder

G Mike Iupati and Asst. O-line Coach, Ray Brown
Seems to me that a significant part of how Alex Smith is looking is due to the upgraded OL play. I think the next major upgrade the niners need is getting a nose tackle and I mean trading Aubrayo Franklin. We can get some value from trading him and I think we could parlay that into an area where we could get his replacement. In fact trading some guys might make some sense as we have many fringe nfl players with some upside around now and I think it would be wise to accrue assets to get a few prime players. Manny Lawson is another and I think they got some decent talent this year at dbs even if raw and unknown. I am sure many teams could use our surplus talent. I wonder why the niners signed a tackle in Kopa? I got the impression we were pretty content with what we had so it might be this guy is pretty good. If so we have more talent to trade. I am really not too enthused with super high picks unless it is a true super player of need like your needing a top qb talent, otherwise I think middle first thru second round is where I would go hunting. Too much wasted money on one time heroes. Instead of asking for a first for Franklin, I would like a second and third etc. I am starting to feel that
it is not a good idea to forego the third thru fifth rounds because we seem to get some talent at 6 and 7. In the past we often wasted those picks on some picks on whimsy. I can understand this years decisions but in Nolan's time we wasted many on deluded flights of imagination of creating a bird of paradise from a crow.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The 1st game of the season will show just how much they have (or have not) improved.
Seattle has been a team on the decline for a couple of seasons...while it may be true Solari didn't have great success during that time, he was the OL coach Singletary has wanted since he took over the team. That, and the huge OL investment in the draft give Solari and his very capable assistant, Ray Brown, quite a bit to work with. Both Davis and Iupati should be stars in this league for years to come...that's quite different than what were mostly journeyman OL in Seattle. Add Staley, Heitmann and Rachal to our mix and that's a heckuva lot more for Solari/Brown to work with than anything he had in Seattle. Having said that, nobody should expect our "new" OL to be gangbusters from the get-go. It'll take some time for them to jell as a unit...but, I sure feel a TON better about our overall OL situation now. We have some legitimate hope for a dominant OL for the first time in years...and I believe both Solari and Brown will have a lot to do with building that.
Quote:
--First-year offensive lineman Alex Boone is ecstatic to be back at left tackle, where he played three seasons at Ohio State. (The reason Boone is a "first-year player" is because he was never on the 53-man roster last season.) Boone spent his rookie season on the practice squad working mostly at right tackle because the team did not think he had the foot quickness to play left tackle.

Boone has improved in that area, and now stands a legitimate shot to be a swing tackle. Boone said he is eager to get his body fat measured again before the end of the offseason program. Last he checked, he got his body fat from about 26 percent to less than 20.

Maiocco: Fight Punctuates Final Day of 49ers OTAs

Mic'd Up with Coach Solari (Video)

Originally posted by PTulini:
Mic'd Up with Coach Solari (Video)

God Damn, that Fired Me UP

Roll Your Hips Hustle

He really learned from the Master, Bobb Mckittrick
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Seattle has been a team on the decline for a couple of seasons...while it may be true Solari didn't have great success during that time, he was the OL coach Singletary has wanted since he took over the team. That, and the huge OL investment in the draft give Solari and his very capable assistant, Ray Brown, quite a bit to work with. Both Davis and Iupati should be stars in this league for years to come...that's quite different than what were mostly journeyman OL in Seattle. Add Staley, Heitmann and Rachal to our mix and that's a heckuva lot more for Solari/Brown to work with than anything he had in Seattle. Having said that, nobody should expect our "new" OL to be gangbusters from the get-go. It'll take some time for them to jell as a unit...but, I sure feel a TON better about our overall OL situation now. We have some legitimate hope for a dominant OL for the first time in years...and I believe both Solari and Brown will have a lot to do with building that.

I think that is a pretty fair assesment of both teams. Solari had to deal with injuries so Seattle was forced to bring in some journey type of players. The projected starters were good players but we had trouble getting them on the field.

If the 49ers line stays healthy it has a chance to be better than the hawks line was. Not that that is much to brag about. That is assuming that the newbies play to their projected potential as well though.
This year should be very exciting as I expect an amazing improvement on the OL, as well as more chemistry on offense especially since Alex has had a full offseason with this offense. Also, we have added numerous kick/punt returners including Ginn and Leroy Vann, as well as a hard running back that we need in shot yardage situations. And you cant forget about the monster we have added to our D with Taylor Mays, even though he may not start right away, he can be very dangerous and he has the speed we lacked in our secondary last year.

Props to our front office for addressing our biggest needs
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:

From nagging injuries to constantly having to shuffle the o-line, that isn't a good situation to have. The offensive line needs time to gel together.

Almost posted the same thing, thanks PT. I couldn't agree with you more!!!
Share 49ersWebzone