LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 441 users in the forums

Now that we locked up Willis, whos next?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"Following the big deal doled out by the San Francisco 49ers to ILB Patrick Willis, we wondered whether this would cause the Carolina Panthers to ante up on a new deal for their own star LB, Jon Beason.

But there was some thought that perhaps another Niner would get a massive cash prize, too. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted, "And next up on a big payday for the 49ers -- TE Vernon Davis." ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando concurred.

However, on Wednesday, Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News tweeted that there could be a complication: "NFL source: 49ers' long-term $$ basicallly was either/or between Willis & Vernon Davis. Willis got it. So Davis could be F/A next March." Kawakami also points out that the team has to budget for a new QB in 2011, either Alex Smith, a draft pick or a veteran free agent. Any of those options will likely be pricey." espn rumor mill

[ Edited by maximill15 on May 5, 2010 at 14:37:22 ]
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
VD's making $8,190,000 in 2010, so it doesn't make financial sense for him to re-sign with the 49ers before the year is over.

Fast-forward to the 2011 off-season. VD has a healthy, Pro-Bowl calibur season. Imagine what his maket value can balloon to! Remember 2007 when the 49ers signed Clements to that ridiculous contract? It was because the "shut down" corner became glamorous in the NFL and Clements was thought to be that kind of player. VD blocks with nastiness and has become a dangerous weapon in the passing game. He also wears a "C" on his chest! Every team in the NFL would improve greatly by having VD on their team. So he's not signing with us anytime soon.

Manny Lawson still has to show me more before I decide to lock him up. Maybe sign him mid-season if he performs well. He's in a contract year, so he'll be playing/auditioning for his future. The exact same can be said for Alex Smith.

So priority has to be Dashon Goldson!

He's a part of our new physical identity and he'll make $653,221 this season. Turn that into $2.5 million as part of a new long-term deal and I'm pretty sure he'll be into it.

2 or 3 solid games don't make you "part of the movement" man. He has to mantain that level throughout the whole season. Last thing we need is the same mistake we made with Tarrell Brown.

Take your hater hat off and realize that he is very much a "part of the movement". In his 3rd season (his first in a bonafide starter role) he totaled:

76 solo tackles (94 total), 2 sacks, 4 ints, 3 forced fumbles, 6 pd's

Signing him now makes sense! What happens if he improves on those totals in 2010? Exactly...he becomes more expensive!

Kinda like Parys Haralson right? yea, he's such a stud now. So is Tarrell Brown, wow such a stud, but couldn't even move past Dre Bly on the depth chart.
how is it either or?
No one, we use Willis as an example of what it takes to become a 49er.
This FO and coaching staff can go to hell if we don't resign Vernon Davis, gave away money to Haralson and Brown.
Alex D. Smith
Originally posted by maximill15:
"Following the big deal doled out by the San Francisco 49ers to ILB Patrick Willis, we wondered whether this would cause the Carolina Panthers to ante up on a new deal for their own star LB, Jon Beason.

But there was some thought that perhaps another Niner would get a massive cash prize, too. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted, "And next up on a big payday for the 49ers -- TE Vernon Davis." ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando concurred.

However, on Wednesday, Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News tweeted that there could be a complication: "NFL source: 49ers' long-term $$ basicallly was either/or between Willis & Vernon Davis. Willis got it. So Davis could be F/A next March." Kawakami also points out that the team has to budget for a new QB in 2011, either Alex Smith, a draft pick or a veteran free agent. Any of those options will likely be pricey." espn rumor mill

either Kawakami is a liar, or his sources are liars, because he is more full of bulls**t than not. I doubt he has anything concrete to back up that assumption.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

either Kawakami is a liar, or his sources are liars, because he is more full of bulls**t than not. I doubt he has anything concrete to back up that assumption.

Franchise tag. He's not going anywhere if he plays out his contract. His salary wouldn't go up much in the first year of being franchised.
1. V Davis
2. A Franklin
3. D Goldson
4. A Smith
5. F Gore
6. C Rachel

Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Franchise tag. He's not going anywhere if he plays out his contract. His salary wouldn't go up much in the first year of being franchised.

Oh I agree. It annoys me when Kawakami always tries to put a negative spin on a positive move. He always does that.

Singletary turned this kid around. I'd be surprised if they just let him walk especially if he has a good year again. Paraag will do his job and keep the cap under control.

VD's making $8,190,000 in 2010, so it doesn't make financial sense for him to re-sign with the 49ers before the year is over.

Fast-forward to the 2011 off-season. VD has a healthy, Pro-Bowl calibur season. Imagine what his maket value can balloon to! Remember 2007 when the 49ers signed Clements to that ridiculous contract? It was because the "shut down" corner became glamorous in the NFL and Clements was thought to be that kind of player. VD blocks with nastiness and has become a dangerous weapon in the passing game. He also wears a "C" on his chest! Every team in the NFL would improve greatly by having VD on their team. So he's not signing with us anytime soon.

Manny Lawson still has to show me more before I decide to lock him up. Maybe sign him mid-season if he performs well. He's in a contract year, so he'll be playing/auditioning for his future. The exact same can be said for Alex Smith.

So priority has to be Dashon Goldson!

He's a part of our new physical identity and he'll make $653,221 this season. Turn that into $2.5 million as part of a new long-term deal and I'm pretty sure he'll be into it.

2 or 3 solid games don't make you "part of the movement" man. He has to mantain that level throughout the whole season. Last thing we need is the same mistake we made with Tarrell Brown.

Take your hater hat off and realize that he is very much a "part of the movement". In his 3rd season (his first in a bonafide starter role) he totaled:

76 solo tackles (94 total), 2 sacks, 4 ints, 3 forced fumbles, 6 pd's

Signing him now makes sense! What happens if he improves on those totals in 2010? Exactly...he becomes more expensive!

Kinda like Parys Haralson right? yea, he's such a stud now. So is Tarrell Brown, wow such a stud, but couldn't even move past Dre Bly on the depth chart.

What do you propose? Let Goldson play out his exisiting contract and try to re-sign him next off-season? He'll be an un-restricted FA and he's going to get plenty of offers from other teams. And in 2011, he'll be just 27. You can bring up guys like Brown and Haralson, or Brandon Jones and Michael Lewis, but you're bringing up the past. McCloughan's past mis-management of money is one thing. Moving in a positive direction with home-grown talent is another matter altogether!

You're probably just not a Goldson fan, whereas I am. Fair enough.
According to Kawakami the Niiners are NOT going to resign Vernon Davis and are content with letting him hit the open market. This is Bulls**t, Vernon Davis is the future of our team and should be a priority in regards to resigning. I was one of the very few people that stuck with him during his first couple of seasons with us when he was not a Pro Bowler, but i knew he had tremendous potential and would turn into a beast.

What the f**k is up Kawakami's A$$. That guy is a dueche. It is obvious he is a prick that has no love for the Teams in the Bay Area and everytime i hear something out of his mouth it is like listening to Rush Limbaugh, he like to start $hit and bad mouth people in the Sports World, when he himself is a god damn Nobody.

See link Provided.

Vernon Davis-TE-49ers May. 6 - 10:28 am et

The 49ers may let Vernon Davis become a free agent after this season, according to Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News.
Kawakami cites an NFL source that says the 49ers' only planned on paying one of Patrick Willis and Davis. Willis got paid this week, so Davis could very well hit the open market in March. Playing for a new contract can only enhance Davis' fantasy value this season.
Source: Tim Kawakami on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&Show=SKILL&id=3638
Originally posted by 49er4america:
According to Kawakami the Niiners are NOT going to resign Vernon Davis and are content with letting him hit the open market. This is Bulls**t, Vernon Davis is the future of our team and should be a priority in regards to resigning. I was one of the very few people that stuck with him during his first couple of seasons with us when he was not a Pro Bowler, but i knew he had tremendous potential and would turn into a beast.

What the f**k is up Kawakami's A$$. That guy is a dueche. It is obvious he is a prick that has no love for the Teams in the Bay Area and everytime i hear something out of his mouth it is like listening to Rush Limbaugh, he like to start $hit and bad mouth people in the Sports World, when he himself is a god damn Nobody.

See link Provided.

Vernon Davis-TE-49ers May. 6 - 10:28 am et

The 49ers may let Vernon Davis become a free agent after this season, according to Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News.
Kawakami cites an NFL source that says the 49ers' only planned on paying one of Patrick Willis and Davis. Willis got paid this week, so Davis could very well hit the open market in March. Playing for a new contract can only enhance Davis' fantasy value this season.
Source: Tim Kawakami on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&Show=SKILL&id=3638

Just like we were going to draft Clausen....Tim is full of s**t.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Key Niners signed through 2010:
TE Vernon Davis
S Dashon Goldson

WR Jason Hill
LB Manny Lawson
QB Alex Smith
His can wait until the end of the year cuz it depends on how he plays

I'd like to resign all of them to extensions before the end of the season. But their contracts have to make sense. Even Vernon can walk if he's going to want too much $$$ IMO.

VD should get a top 5 TE contract, but not crazy $$$. He still dropped too many big passes last year. A couple that could have been TDs (imagine what we'd have to pay him if he caught those TD passes!)...

Goldson should get what he deserves as well. He played well for most of last season. But just like Davis it was his only season where he played at that level and like Davis there were still periods of inconsistency and missed plays.

I'm high on Lawson and would like to have him extended but for the right price. We still don't know what we have in LaBoy or Brooks and if Harlason has another season like last he's going to be due for an upgrade as well. And none of them are signed long term either.

I'm also high on Jason Hill as he has the tools and seems to make plays almost every time they give him a chance. Hopefully he stays healthy in camp and gets in the game this year and shows what he is made of. If he does lock him up, if not let him test FA and bring him back at the right price to be the 4th or 5th guy if no one gives him the $$$ he wants.

Alex Smith should have a really good season. If you can lock him up on the cheap I say do it sooner than later. If he ends up being "the guy" you've got him for a few more years at cheap $$$, if not I don't mind having him be the backup to whoever "the guy" ends up being for another couple of years. Carr is only signed through 2011 and Davis is still an enigma at this point.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd say in this order:

1st. Davis and Lawson

2nd. Goldson

3rd. Alex Smith - depending on how he plays this upcoming season.
Share 49ersWebzone