There are 219 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Now that we locked up Willis, whos next?

Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by mullintrax:
Here is the real question .. does a guy who has had one pro-bowl season deserve to be the highest paid TE in the league???? Cause that is exactly what VD will be asking for??????????

VD probably doesnt deserve to be the highest paid tight end after only 1 pro bowl season, but wasnt he the highest paid tight end after being drafted #6 overall?

Don't qoute me but I believe it became Winslow jr last year.. I want to say 6 years 37 mil and 21 guaranteed
Originally posted by crabman82:
Here is the real question .. does a guy who has had one pro-bowl season deserve to be the highest paid TE in the league???? Cause that is exactly what VD will be asking for??????????

VD probably doesnt deserve to be the highest paid tight end after only 1 pro bowl season, but wasnt he the highest paid tight end after being drafted #6 overall?

Don't qoute me but I believe it became Winslow jr last year.. I want to say 6 years 37 mil and 21 guaranteed

ya but when vd signed in 06 he became the highest paid before even playing a game, then after gonzalez winslow and others signed more lucrative deals
If our O-line is on fire this season, I say make sure we resign the core, the longer they say together the better. So yeah our O-line depending on production this coming season.
I would say VD, BUT i would like to wait till the end of the season or midway through the season so he doesn't reach free agency and get into a bidding war with other teams.

I am a little nervous signing him, because he made such a huge turnaround last year since being drafted, i would hate for him to get 15-20 million guaranteed and revert back to his old selfish, hotheaded, and unproductive self.
"Following the big deal doled out by the San Francisco 49ers to ILB Patrick Willis, we wondered whether this would cause the Carolina Panthers to ante up on a new deal for their own star LB, Jon Beason.

But there was some thought that perhaps another Niner would get a massive cash prize, too. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted, "And next up on a big payday for the 49ers -- TE Vernon Davis." ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando concurred.

However, on Wednesday, Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News tweeted that there could be a complication: "NFL source: 49ers' long-term $$ basicallly was either/or between Willis & Vernon Davis. Willis got it. So Davis could be F/A next March." Kawakami also points out that the team has to budget for a new QB in 2011, either Alex Smith, a draft pick or a veteran free agent. Any of those options will likely be pricey." espn rumor mill

[ Edited by maximill15 on May 5, 2010 at 14:37:22 ]
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
VD's making $8,190,000 in 2010, so it doesn't make financial sense for him to re-sign with the 49ers before the year is over.

Fast-forward to the 2011 off-season. VD has a healthy, Pro-Bowl calibur season. Imagine what his maket value can balloon to! Remember 2007 when the 49ers signed Clements to that ridiculous contract? It was because the "shut down" corner became glamorous in the NFL and Clements was thought to be that kind of player. VD blocks with nastiness and has become a dangerous weapon in the passing game. He also wears a "C" on his chest! Every team in the NFL would improve greatly by having VD on their team. So he's not signing with us anytime soon.

Manny Lawson still has to show me more before I decide to lock him up. Maybe sign him mid-season if he performs well. He's in a contract year, so he'll be playing/auditioning for his future. The exact same can be said for Alex Smith.

So priority has to be Dashon Goldson!

He's a part of our new physical identity and he'll make $653,221 this season. Turn that into $2.5 million as part of a new long-term deal and I'm pretty sure he'll be into it.

2 or 3 solid games don't make you "part of the movement" man. He has to mantain that level throughout the whole season. Last thing we need is the same mistake we made with Tarrell Brown.

Take your hater hat off and realize that he is very much a "part of the movement". In his 3rd season (his first in a bonafide starter role) he totaled:

76 solo tackles (94 total), 2 sacks, 4 ints, 3 forced fumbles, 6 pd's

Signing him now makes sense! What happens if he improves on those totals in 2010? Exactly...he becomes more expensive!

Kinda like Parys Haralson right? yea, he's such a stud now. So is Tarrell Brown, wow such a stud, but couldn't even move past Dre Bly on the depth chart.
how is it either or?
Originally posted by maximill15:
"Following the big deal doled out by the San Francisco 49ers to ILB Patrick Willis, we wondered whether this would cause the Carolina Panthers to ante up on a new deal for their own star LB, Jon Beason.

But there was some thought that perhaps another Niner would get a massive cash prize, too. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter tweeted, "And next up on a big payday for the 49ers -- TE Vernon Davis." ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando concurred.

However, on Wednesday, Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News tweeted that there could be a complication: "NFL source: 49ers' long-term $$ basicallly was either/or between Willis & Vernon Davis. Willis got it. So Davis could be F/A next March." Kawakami also points out that the team has to budget for a new QB in 2011, either Alex Smith, a draft pick or a veteran free agent. Any of those options will likely be pricey." espn rumor mill

Good point, but Tim has been really wrong before (McCloughan, Smith, Claussen, on and on).
No one, we use Willis as an example of what it takes to become a 49er.
This FO and coaching staff can go to hell if we don't resign Vernon Davis, gave away money to Haralson and Brown.
Alex D. Smith

either Kawakami is a liar, or his sources are liars, because he is more full of bulls**t than not. I doubt he has anything concrete to back up that assumption.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

either Kawakami is a liar, or his sources are liars, because he is more full of bulls**t than not. I doubt he has anything concrete to back up that assumption.

Franchise tag. He's not going anywhere if he plays out his contract. His salary wouldn't go up much in the first year of being franchised.
1. V Davis
2. A Franklin
3. D Goldson
4. A Smith
5. F Gore
6. C Rachel

Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Franchise tag. He's not going anywhere if he plays out his contract. His salary wouldn't go up much in the first year of being franchised.

Oh I agree. It annoys me when Kawakami always tries to put a negative spin on a positive move. He always does that.

Singletary turned this kid around. I'd be surprised if they just let him walk especially if he has a good year again. Paraag will do his job and keep the cap under control.