There are 168 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Now that we locked up Willis, whos next?

Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Vernon is a must and then Franklin. Goldson can be replaced or waited out unless he went all pro this season.

Franklin can be replaced easier than goldson, plus franklin is already getting up there in age and take into account the beating his body takes playing the position he does.

Id rather sign goldson

Franklin is a proven stud who has played well for 2 seasons already. Also, what beating are you talking about? he's been a back up and never really saw the field his whole life until he signed with us. Goldson made a few plays last year but overrall he's unproven. His coverage is still something that he needs to word hard on.

If Willis, Spikes, and J. Smith all had good words to say about Franklin anchoring our D, I would definitely take their words for it.

He has? I thought the reason why they DIDN'T extend him last season (before his contract year) was because he was pretty average.

He was a stud after we switched schemes to fit him better. Keep thinking Franklin is replaceable and we will go back to the same sorry ass defense that we had when Nolan was here.
VD
Originally posted by paco49ers:
Priorities:
1. VD
2. Franklin
3. Goldson

then promote Baalke to a fulltime GM.

agree with all of these. The only reason Goldson is there is because I want to see a little more from him, don't want him to turn out like Haralson (ie big bucks for mediocre play)
Vernon is a must and then Franklin. Goldson can be replaced or waited out unless he went all pro this season.

Franklin can be irreplaced easier than goldson, plus franklin is already getting up there in age and take into account the beating his body takes playing the position he does.

Id rather sign goldson

Franklin is a proven stud who has played well for 2 seasons already. Also, what beating are you talking about? he's been a back up and never really saw the field his whole life until he signed with us. Goldson made a few plays last year but overrall he's unproven. His coverage is still something that he needs to word hard on.

If Willis, Spikes, and J. Smith all had good words to say about Franklin anchoring our D, I would definitely take their words for it.

He has? I thought the reason why they DIDN'T extend him last season (before his contract year) was because he was pretty average.

He was a stud after we switched schemes to fit him better. Keep thinking Franklin is replaceable and we will go back to the same sorry ass defense that we had when Nolan was here.

Again, general claims I've heard around here but rarely proven. I'm not calling anyone out, I just want to know how this statement is true that's all. I feel like if you make a claim, you should be able to talk about it beyond a general statement. So when was the scheme changed? When did he become a stud 2 years ago? What game did that happen two seasons ago?

I don't think Franklin is irreplaceable, I think it's pretty clear the 49ers don't think he's the long term answer - at least not yet, or at least have not prioritized him as high as other players.

I just have one question to all those who think Franklin is irreplaceable; the new 49ers rarely let a player they want to keep around get to the last year of their contract. Why have they done this with the supposedly-invaluable Franklin?

[ Edited by NinerGM on May 4, 2010 at 16:49:25 ]
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
VD
I am really worried about Vernon staying next year. If he has a year like he did last year, he is going to have the opportunity to play on a lot of teams that are better than the 9ers.
Originally posted by saniner:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Have you all forgotten who our Fullback of the Future is? Sign him!

The Saints were quick and swooped him up before we could resign him. The knew getting him was the only chance they had at repeating.

Come on down Vernon!
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Signing Willis to an extension is big in a lot of ways because now we can use the franchise tag on Vernon Davis or extend Davis and use it on Dashon Goldson or vice versa. Very good news today and a very deserving extension for the best linebacker in the NFL.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would actually like to see him play at least a half of season before giving him money. His bread and butter was the deep post. I want to see what he can do when the NFL defenses takes that way from him.

With that said, I wouldn't be upset if coaches/owners/Gm decided we should extend him. I really like who and what Davis has become. I'm just concerned we've only seen one great season, even if it is arguably the coaching staffs fault.

Franklin can be irreplaced easier than goldson, plus franklin is already getting up there in age and take into account the beating his body takes playing the position he does.

Id rather sign goldson

Again, general claims I've heard around here but rarely proven. I'm not calling anyone out, I just want to know how this statement is true that's all. I feel like if you make a claim, you should be able to talk about it beyond a general statement. So when was the scheme changed? When did he become a stud 2 years ago? What game did that happen two seasons ago?

I don't think Franklin is irreplaceable, I think it's pretty clear the 49ers don't think he's the long term answer - at least not yet, or at least have not prioritized him as high as other players.

I just have one question to all those who think Franklin is irreplaceable; the new 49ers rarely let a player they want to keep around get to the last year of their contract. Why have they done this with the supposedly-invaluable Franklin?

If Franklin was 25, they would definitely sign him long term. Given that he has only really had 1 1/2 years of above average play in his career (granted he played on the Ravens behind Gregg before joining us so he had little to no wear on the treads so to speak) and the team is taking a wait and see. I had no problem with them Franchising him.

The Ravens and Patriots know what they are doing.

The Ravens go from Siragusa to Gregg to Ngata and now Mount Cody.

The big NT in the middle is essential to keep the Linebackers clean
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Id rather sign goldson

If Franklin was 25, they would definitely sign him long term. Given that he has only really had 1 1/2 years of above average play in his career (granted he played on the Ravens behind Gregg before joining us so he had little to no wear on the treads so to speak) and the team is taking a wait and see. I had no problem with them Franchising him.

The Ravens and Patriots know what they are doing.

The Ravens go from Siragusa to Gregg to Ngata and now Mount Cody.

The big NT in the middle is essential to keep the Linebackers clean

Totally agreed! IMHO, the Niners should have maybe thought about drafting a NT, but I'm happy overall with the decisions.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
VD's making $8,190,000 in 2010, so it doesn't make financial sense for him to re-sign with the 49ers before the year is over.

Fast-forward to the 2011 off-season. VD has a healthy, Pro-Bowl calibur season. Imagine what his maket value can balloon to! Remember 2007 when the 49ers signed Clements to that ridiculous contract? It was because the "shut down" corner became glamorous in the NFL and Clements was thought to be that kind of player. VD blocks with nastiness and has become a dangerous weapon in the passing game. He also wears a "C" on his chest! Every team in the NFL would improve greatly by having VD on their team. So he's not signing with us anytime soon.

Manny Lawson still has to show me more before I decide to lock him up. Maybe sign him mid-season if he performs well. He's in a contract year, so he'll be playing/auditioning for his future. The exact same can be said for Alex Smith.

So priority has to be Dashon Goldson!

He's a part of our new physical identity and he'll make $653,221 this season. Turn that into $2.5 million as part of a new long-term deal and I'm pretty sure he'll be into it.

2 or 3 solid games don't make you "part of the movement" man. He has to mantain that level throughout the whole season. Last thing we need is the same mistake we made with Tarrell Brown.

Take your hater hat off and realize that he is very much a "part of the movement". In his 3rd season (his first in a bonafide starter role) he totaled:

76 solo tackles (94 total), 2 sacks, 4 ints, 3 forced fumbles, 6 pd's

Signing him now makes sense! What happens if he improves on those totals in 2010? Exactly...he becomes more expensive!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Signing Willis to an extension is big in a lot of ways because now we can use the franchise tag on Vernon Davis or extend Davis and use it on Dashon Goldson or vice versa. Very good news today and a very deserving extension for the best linebacker in the NFL.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I would actually like to see him play at least a half of season before giving him money. His bread and butter was the deep post. I want to see what he can do when the NFL defenses takes that way from him.

With that said, I wouldn't be upset if coaches/owners/Gm decided we should extend him. I really like who and what Davis has become. I'm just concerned we've only seen one great season, even if it is arguably the coaching staffs fault.

Well if you look at it, it pretty much is.

When Norv Turner was here during Davis' rookie season, Davis wasn't asked much but to help block due to our inconsistent RT's. Lets not forget he was injured a little in 2006. But I have no doubt that if Turner had stayed, Davis and our offense would probably be ranked in the top 15 by now.

With Jim Hostler, well it was hard to tell what he wanted to do on offense, and our QB situation was a mess, starting 3 QB's that year. Our offense was non-functional, can't really blame Davis for his production here.

And Mike Martz, well no TE has ever been productive with him calling the plays, and again our QB situation was in a flux.
Here is the real question .. does a guy who has had one pro-bowl season deserve to be the highest paid TE in the league???? Cause that is exactly what VD will be asking for??????????
Originally posted by mullintrax:
Here is the real question .. does a guy who has had one pro-bowl season deserve to be the highest paid TE in the league???? Cause that is exactly what VD will be asking for??????????

VD probably doesnt deserve to be the highest paid tight end after only 1 pro bowl season, but wasnt he the highest paid tight end after being drafted #6 overall?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home