LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

Now that we locked up Willis, whos next?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
VD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark Roman
Who's next? It's obvious...Patrick Willis again. His extension is only for five more years. Better add another five years to that and double his contract, too. No, wait...triple his salary! He's retiring as a Niner.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
VD then Dashon.
Although not a free agent until 2012 I would suggest giving Morgan a 4 year deal. Considering his current salary we could extend him rather cheaply, I would imagine no more then 8 million total.
Vernon is a must and then Franklin. Goldson can be replaced or waited out unless he went all pro this season.
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Vernon is a must and then Franklin. Goldson can be replaced or waited out unless he went all pro this season.

Franklin can be replaced easier than goldson, plus franklin is already getting up there in age and take into account the beating his body takes playing the position he does.

Id rather sign goldson
What about Sourdough Sam?
Originally posted by valrod33:

Franklin can be replaced easier than goldson, plus franklin is already getting up there in age and take into account the beating his body takes playing the position he does.

Id rather sign goldson

Franklin is a proven stud who has played well for 2 seasons already. Also, what beating are you talking about? he's been a back up and never really saw the field his whole life until he signed with us. Goldson made a few plays last year but overrall he's unproven. His coverage is still something that he needs to word hard on.

If Willis, Spikes, and J. Smith all had good words to say about Franklin anchoring our D, I would definitely take their words for it.

Id rather sign goldson

Franklin is a proven stud who has played well for 2 seasons already. Also, what beating are you talking about? he's been a back up and never really saw the field his whole life until he signed with us. Goldson made a few plays last year but overrall he's unproven. His coverage is still something that he needs to word hard on.

If Willis, Spikes, and J. Smith all had good words to say about Franklin anchoring our D, I would definitely take their words for it.

I want to see Goldson develop into a legit safety, a couple of big hits and INT's doesn't make him deserve a big payday which he will want.

If he does develop into that this season then I'm all for it, we def need to keep Frankllin.

VD's making $8,190,000 in 2010, so it doesn't make financial sense for him to re-sign with the 49ers before the year is over.

Fast-forward to the 2011 off-season. VD has a healthy, Pro-Bowl calibur season. Imagine what his maket value can balloon to! Remember 2007 when the 49ers signed Clements to that ridiculous contract? It was because the "shut down" corner became glamorous in the NFL and Clements was thought to be that kind of player. VD blocks with nastiness and has become a dangerous weapon in the passing game. He also wears a "C" on his chest! Every team in the NFL would improve greatly by having VD on their team. So he's not signing with us anytime soon.

Manny Lawson still has to show me more before I decide to lock him up. Maybe sign him mid-season if he performs well. He's in a contract year, so he'll be playing/auditioning for his future. The exact same can be said for Alex Smith.

So priority has to be Dashon Goldson!

He's a part of our new physical identity and he'll make $653,221 this season. Turn that into $2.5 million as part of a new long-term deal and I'm pretty sure he'll be into it.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
VD's making $8,190,000 in 2010, so it doesn't make financial sense for him to re-sign with the 49ers before the year is over.

Fast-forward to the 2011 off-season. VD has a healthy, Pro-Bowl calibur season. Imagine what his maket value can balloon to! Remember 2007 when the 49ers signed Clements to that ridiculous contract? It was because the "shut down" corner became glamorous in the NFL and Clements was thought to be that kind of player. VD blocks with nastiness and has become a dangerous weapon in the passing game. He also wears a "C" on his chest! Every team in the NFL would improve greatly by having VD on their team. So he's not signing with us anytime soon.

Manny Lawson still has to show me more before I decide to lock him up. Maybe sign him mid-season if he performs well. He's in a contract year, so he'll be playing/auditioning for his future. The exact same can be said for Alex Smith.

So priority has to be Dashon Goldson!

He's a part of our new physical identity and he'll make $653,221 this season. Turn that into $2.5 million as part of a new long-term deal and I'm pretty sure he'll be into it.

2 or 3 solid games don't make you "part of the movement" man. He has to mantain that level throughout the whole season. Last thing we need is the same mistake we made with Tarrell Brown.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
VD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep but it's gonna be expensive!
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Id rather sign goldson

He has? I thought the reason why they DIDN'T extend him last season (before his contract year) was because he was pretty average.

He was a stud after we switched schemes to fit him better. Keep thinking Franklin is replaceable and we will go back to the same sorry ass defense that we had when Nolan was here.
VD
Share 49ersWebzone