LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

We Should Thank Nolan For the Character of this Team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Trying to groom a #1 quarterback on a squad starting from scratch is a really tough job. Even Peyton Manning's initial coach got the boot. It's a results orientated business and you almost always start off with 2 strikes against you because you have to throw away your 1st 2 seasons.

He had some bad luck (McCarthy and Turner leaving, Alex getting hurt), and made some bad mistakes (his handling of Alex, Billy Davis, Jeff Hostler). He deserved to get the boot, but you're right that he left us in good position to make a run.

Nolan was the scapegoat for Alex Smith.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
I think Nolan's time with the team can be described in four words:

Good plan. Poor execution.

Ironically, he seems to have had a very similar impact to the organization that his father did.
Where is NolanHasAPlan?! I miss that guy lol
Trying to groom a #1 quarterback on a squad starting from scratch is a really tough job. Even Peyton Manning's initial coach got the boot. It's a results orientated business and you almost always start off with 2 strikes against you because you have to throw away your 1st 2 seasons.

He had some bad luck (McCarthy and Turner leaving, Alex getting hurt), and made some bad mistakes (his handling of Alex, Billy Davis, Jeff Hostler). He deserved to get the boot, but you're right that he left us in good position to make a run.

I don't think Nolan was fired because the records of the first two seasons. In fact, I thought he did well on those two. His 2006 team in fact played better than it should have been.

Nolan was fired because what happened late 2007 and the first half of 2008. Much has been said of his handling of Smith, but the problems were more numerous than that, and the biggest of all was Nolan's refusal to adapt (one thing that Singletary is much better at.) It was Nolan the coach who got Nolan the GM fired.
nolan is 1 hell of a dc though, i think he gets another shot as a hc. nolan just better learn from his many mistakes he did here
Originally posted by verb1der:

I think he is the same joker posting as Jed York now.
Originally posted by fastforward:

I don't think Nolan was fired because the records of the first two seasons. In fact, I thought he did well on those two. His 2006 team in fact played better than it should have been.

Nolan was fired because what happened late 2007 and the first half of 2008. Much has been said of his handling of Smith, but the problems were more numerous than that, and the biggest of all was Nolan's refusal to adapt (one thing that Singletary is much better at.) It was Nolan the coach who got Nolan the GM fired.

3.5 years without making the playoffs is why he got fired. You put in an expierenced quarterback on that 2006 team and that might not be the case.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by verb1der:

I think he is the same joker posting as Jed York now.

hahaha, that makes sense.
Originally posted by fastforward:

3.5 years without making the playoffs is why he got fired. You put in an expierenced quarterback on that 2006 team and that might not be the case.

I disagree. Look at the Saints: sure they got to the playoffs the first year Brees they got there, but how many years later before they got back? The 2006 49ers had a piss poor defense, ranked 26th in yardage and rock-bottom 32nd in points. The 7-9 record was an overachievement for the talents in that team!
Mike Nolan only wanted "Nolan guys". How can you give him any credit for anything, when his narrow view actually cost us more good players than it got us?

And to compare "this" team to the "old 49ers" is just wrong.

nolan deserves some credit for picking most of these players but he didnt know how to use them. many of our starters now are people nolan wouldnt play because of veterans he thought deserved to play just because they were veterans. f**k mike nolan, i wish he would get a job in our division so we could clobber his whack ass team twice a year.
When it comes down to it...you can give Nolan or McCloughan credit for that. Either way, Nolan is like Norv Turner. Great Coodinator but horrible head coach.
Mike Nolan is the worst coach in nfl history. Period, end of story. f**k him
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
Mike Nolan is the worst coach in nfl history. Period, end of story. f**k him

Hahaha how quickly you have forgotten Dennis Erickson, my friend!
Manny Lawson was one of his biggest mistakes imo, besides Alex over Rodgers

you look at what he was able to do with Dumervil last year and now this year he's got this guy Cameron Wake about to blow up into a superstar

Share 49ersWebzone