LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

We Should Thank Nolan For the Character of this Team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
Where is NolanHasAPlan?! I miss that guy lol

He is around, his name is Jed_York now. Same humor as always.
Originally posted by drake49er:
When it comes down to it...you can give Nolan or McCloughan credit for that. Either way, Nolan is like Norv Turner. Great Coodinator but horrible head coach.

Not sure where you get "great" coordinator from, but I agree he was a horrific coach. In over his head, like Sing.
So Joecool, are you still rollin with Nolan?
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
Mike Nolan is the worst coach in nfl history. Period, end of story. f**k him

How pathetic have we become to be thanking Nolan. He was a disaster that we are still paying for. Just ask Alex Smith. I am with you. F*** him.
If Nolan knew offense, he'd be a decent coach IMO.
  • Mex49
Well, according the Webzone's very own History section "Pride of San Francisco", he is still our head coach,

and somebody's number hasn't been retired.
  • dj43
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

Nolan lacked on critical component that every good HC must have, regardless of his emphasis on offense or defense, he MUST have the ability to connect well with his quarterback. Nolan was clueless on that point when he was here.

As an example of how to overcome that, just look at how Mike Johnson has helped Alex Smith and the impact that has had on his play. Singletary doesn't know a lot about the Xs and Os but he knows to defend his players in the media and he has put a good guy in charge of QBs.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
F*ck Mike Nolan.

This thread is a bigger stretch than the waistband on my ever-expanding stomach.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by dj43:

Nolan lacked on critical component that every good HC must have, regardless of his emphasis on offense or defense, he MUST have the ability to connect well with his quarterback. Nolan was clueless on that point when he was here.

As an example of how to overcome that, just look at how Mike Johnson has helped Alex Smith and the impact that has had on his play. Singletary doesn't know a lot about the Xs and Os but he knows to defend his players in the media and he has put a good guy in charge of QBs.

I remember things differently, didn't Nolan put three very good guys in charge of QB's- McCarthy, Norv, and Martz.

Go ahead show us exactly how Mike Johnson had an impact on Smith's play this year. Because he came back for a second year? That's because nobody offered him a head coachng/ OC job last winter. like the three mentioned above

As for humiliating our players, or group of playes in the media, you obviously missed all last week
Let me say that Mike "Satan" Nolan is the worst coach in nfl history. He threw Alex under the bus to save his own career. f**k him....If I saw his dumb ass on the street I would say "f**k you" right to his face.

f**k Mike Nolan.

Just character? Are you guys kidding?

Fans should thank coach Nolan for a lot more than just character.

No Nolan, we would just be another team, Nolan gave us a plan.
No Nolan, would we have Singletary? Nolan hand picked Singletary as HC an hour before he leaves.
No Nolan, would we have an identity? Nolan dictated that we must honor the '85 Bears and copy their style.

Coach Nolan's soul and plans lives on in the ownership and coach Singletary. We will keep honoring the Bears for many years to come.

Would the ownership crying non stop if Nolan just picked a few players with character? Gee, just think.

[ Edited by jed_york on Sep 22, 2010 at 14:56:03 ]
Originally posted by jed_york:

No Nolan, would we have Singletary? Nolan hand picked Singletary as HC an hour before he leaves.
No Nolan, would we have an identity? Nolan dictated that we must honor the '85 Bears and copy their style.

Coach Nolan's soul and plans lives on in the ownership and coach Singletary. We will keep honoring the Bears for many years to come.

Would the ownership crying non stop if Nolan just picked a few players with character? Gee, just think.

Who ever this guy or gal is, must not be from planet earth. We have aliens invading the webzone.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nyc49erking:
Originally posted by jed_york:

Who ever this guy or gal is, must not be from planet earth. We have aliens invading the webzone.

He is the funniest zoner in my view. His sarcasm is unmatched. He is also known as NHaP(Nolan has a plan).
This is a good thread. I'm tired of all the Nolan bashing.

Was he a great coach? No. Did it work out with Nolan? Hell no!

But he gave it his all and did it with class and character.

Anyone who suffered through '04 knows how bad we were before Nolan. The '04 49ers are one of the worst teams in NFL history (2-14 with 2 OT wins against Arizona - we were very close to 0-16).

He took over after that team and brought in great coordinators (Mike McCarthy and Norv Turner) only to have them taken away each year.

After moving on he had a great year as Denver d-coordinator and is doing the same this year in Miami.

The Denver D last year ranked 7th in the NFL

The Miami D is currently 5th this year
Originally posted by dj43:

Agreed. I would even expand further on that and say that I never thought Nolan had a good pulse on the team. This is in stark comparison to Singletary who has the fantastic ability to be able to decode exactly what each player mentally requires to be able to help them function at a high level.

Example:
V. Davis needed tough love.
A. Smith just needed someone to have confidence in him.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone