LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

What Will Be our Running Back Corps on Opening Day?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Will Be our Running Back Corps on Opening Day?

Its interesting that we've picked up two rookie RBs (Dixon and Blount) that are both power backs that can both block extremely well -- both have been projected by some as fullbacks at the next level.

So, we now have 6 RBs on the roster, but will probably have only 4 roster slots (there could be a ST slot for one of them, but that's unlikely).

I am assuming that Coffee is safe because its only his 2nd year and he was a 3rd round pick (give him time to pan out).

The Michael Robinson era is probably over.

Personally, I expect both Robinson AND Norris to be gone; Dixon and Blount are both very good blockers, and both RBs are about a decade younger than Norris...much more upside.

While Norris is an excellent blocker, he is not a very good runner and is a so-so pass-catcher. Both Dixon and Blount are better runners and both can block...and Dixon is supposedly a helluva pass-catcher.

So, I think our RB corps will consist of Gore, Coffee, Dixon, and Blount...FOUR power backs. We'll use quite a bit of the single-back this year, but when we go to 2-RB sets Dixon or Blount will be in there blocking...or both in goal-line situations.

Gore-Coffee-Dixon-Blount: a 4-headed beast at Running Back!

Note: Michael Robinson is excellent on special teams, and it would not surprise me if they made a spot for him on ST.

[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 25, 2010 at 14:03:37 ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Where's the options without Coffee
Originally posted by KID9R:

No way we cut Coffee after only one year. He was a third-round pick!
Look here young grasshopper

Originally posted by jreff22:
Look here young grasshopper

I thought my post was deleted earlier...they moved it to the Draft War Room for some reason. It belongs in the Niner Talk Section.

Yeah that's kind of a stacked board. I can understand Gore being in every choice, but I am not sure Coffee has done anywhere near enough to guarantee his position. He probably will be there, but for the poll to have any point at all (yeah, I know), the options should be there.
Originally posted by English:

Yeah that's kind of a stacked board. I can understand Gore being in every choice, but I am not sure Coffee has done anywhere near enough to guarantee his position. He probably will be there, but for the poll to have any point at all (yeah, I know), the options should be there.

I can't see them cutting a 3rd round pick from '09 -- no way. He looked like a confused rookie at times and had a piss-poor o-line.

I agree with these points, Coffee has a real fight on his hands, remember this draft was much deeper than the last.

I really like the Blount pick up, I realise some aren't cool with the whole punching thing, but who can say they have done nothing they regret in this life? Blount was being touted as a 2nd rounder (if my memory serves me right) before the punch. Bearing in mind this draft was much deeper I think he has the potential to be a lot better than Coffee (who imo would have been a 5/6th rounder in this draft, maybe later).

Dixon also seems like a bigger version of Coffee, if we could convert either Dixon or Blount to FB and have the other as a short yardage back we could have a dominant run game, especially as the FB would also be a run threat.
Originally posted by kunged:

I agree with these points, Coffee has a real fight on his hands, remember this draft was much deeper than the last.

I really like the Blount pick up, I realise some aren't cool with the whole punching thing, but who can say they have done nothing they regret in this life? Blount was being touted as a 2nd rounder (if my memory serves me right) before the punch. Bearing in mind this draft was much deeper I think he has the potential to be a lot better than Coffee (who imo would have been a 5/6th rounder in this draft, maybe later).

Dixon also seems like a bigger version of Coffee, if we could convert either Dixon or Blount to FB and have the other as a short yardage back we could have a dominant run game, especially as the FB would also be a run threat.

In regards to Blount, I've read that he has such a big frame, he could tack on 20 pounds or so and still run at the same speed. The guy is almost 6'2'' from my understanding. And he runs so low for being that big he could be a devastating hitter -- or fullback.

Blount also LIKES to block and is very good at it, especially pass-blocking.

If we're going to play single-back most of the time anyway, why keep Norris?

But I have to disagree with you on Coffee. As a 3rd round pick from only a year ago, his roster spot is not in jeopardy.
  • Nyner

exactly......I say Gore, M-Rob, Dixon, & Blount....Blount at FB.

I think we're going to have a 4 headed monster. Get rid of M-Rob and replace him with Blount.
Originally posted by Nyner:

exactly......I say Gore, M-Rob, Dixon, & Blount....Blount at FB.

IMO, I believe Blount will be a McClain clone. He'll be listed as a FB, but used as a RB.
None of the above

Gore-Coffee-Dixon
Norris-MRob

Blount on the practice squad.
I'm fine with Mrob staying on the team, if norris gets cut.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
None of the above

Gore-Coffee-Dixon
Norris-MRob

Blount on the practice squad.

I hope we keep Blount for short yardage. That's still a problem for us and i don't think it was all on the o-line. I would switch Dixon and Blount

[ Edited by LeadFarmer on Apr 25, 2010 at 14:38:26 ]
Share 49ersWebzone