There are 210 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Anthony Dixon is a Niner!

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mayo63:
I love the interview with him. He'll be everything Coffee isn't, great addition and our starter when Fwankie retires.

I wouldn't go that far

I wouldn't go that far? Have you looked at those clips, he should have no problem being our #1 back.

He was a 6th rounder for a reason.

This argument gets really old. "He was a _th rounder for a reason." If you don't think a player has the potential to start, fine, but at least provide something of relevance in regard to his play. As far as careers go, the round selection means very little when it is all over.

Ok then why was he not taken earlier? What does Spiller, Best, Mathews, Tate, and Hardesty have that he doesn't? I have already said prior that he doesn't have top end speed and that's one of the reasons he was drafted in the 6th.

You don't need top end speed in the NFL, you need burst, and Dixon looks like he has a good burst. Up until last year Gore never really broke away from defenders, and I still don't think he "runs away" but rather he breaks the safety tackle and no one else is close enough to get to him before he reaches the end-zone.

There are plenty of RB's that are successful who run 4.6 and 4.7s but their 10 yard dash is faster than the 40 would indicate.

What's great about Dixon is that he WANTS to inflict punishment when he runs, where as Coffee seemed like he was just trying to stay on his feet after getting hit. That's gonna be the reason he gets plugged in as the #2 over Coffee.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mayo63:
I love the interview with him. He'll be everything Coffee isn't, great addition and our starter when Fwankie retires.

I wouldn't go that far

I wouldn't go that far? Have you looked at those clips, he should have no problem being our #1 back.

He was a 6th rounder for a reason.

This argument gets really old. "He was a _th rounder for a reason." If you don't think a player has the potential to start, fine, but at least provide something of relevance in regard to his play. As far as careers go, the round selection means very little when it is all over.

Ok then why was he not taken earlier? What does Spiller, Best, Mathews, Tate, and Hardesty have that he doesn't? I have already said prior that he doesn't have top end speed and that's one of the reasons he was drafted in the 6th.

Have the 49ers ever had a starting RB with top end speed? Craig wasn't exceptionally fast, he was strong. Hearst had good speed, but not top end. Garner was very quick, but not top end. Gore is more of a strong runner.

What do you consider top end speed? And who in the past 49ers has had it? Seems to me the 49ers have moreso gone with backs that have strength to break some tackles, wear defenses down.

Gore has the speed to run away from defenders and has done it many times. I'm not implying that we have to have a 4.33 guy but you need speed, or another back that has it. Dixon is a thumper, that's why we drafted him in the first place. But I don't see him running away from DB's or most fast LB's.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mayo63:
I love the interview with him. He'll be everything Coffee isn't, great addition and our starter when Fwankie retires.

I wouldn't go that far

I wouldn't go that far? Have you looked at those clips, he should have no problem being our #1 back.

He was a 6th rounder for a reason.

This argument gets really old. "He was a _th rounder for a reason." If you don't think a player has the potential to start, fine, but at least provide something of relevance in regard to his play. As far as careers go, the round selection means very little when it is all over.

Ok then why was he not taken earlier? What does Spiller, Best, Mathews, Tate, and Hardesty have that he doesn't? I have already said prior that he doesn't have top end speed and that's one of the reasons he was drafted in the 6th.

You don't need top end speed in the NFL, you need burst, and Dixon looks like he has a good burst. Up until last year Gore never really broke away from defenders, and I still don't think he "runs away" but rather he breaks the safety tackle and no one else is close enough to get to him before he reaches the end-zone.

There are plenty of RB's that are successful who run 4.6 and 4.7s but their 10 yard dash is faster than the 40 would indicate.

What's great about Dixon is that he WANTS to inflict punishment when he runs, where as Coffee seemed like he was just trying to stay on his feet after getting hit. That's gonna be the reason he gets plugged in as the #2 over Coffee.

You are giving Dixon a lot of credit before he takes a snap. At this point nobody knows whats great about Dixon in the NFL. My opinion isn't going to change, he's not a fast guy, and I would call him a semi quick guy. His job will be to hit the hole, go north, and get the tough yards. Yes, he may be a feature back and a steal in the 6th, but I have doubts at this point.
Dixon gets coached to lead and pass block. How quickly this happens, no one knows. But in my opinion, Dixon at 235-240 lbs should become the starting FB sometime this season, and no later than next season.
And here is the challenge for Anthony Davis. Do you want to be great?

Walter Jones just retired in Seattle:
Played 13 seasons, and flagged for only 9 holds.
Pass protected on 5,703 passing plays, and allowed only 23 sacks.

Mike Holmgren: "Best player that I ever coached".
Howard Mudd: "Best player that I ever coached, and he showed it from Day1".

Now that's GREAT. Are you paying attention, #76? Because you have the potential.

(Stats and quotes courtesy of Rob Rang).

[ Edited by jimbagg on Apr 30, 2010 at 12:47:18 ]
Originally posted by jimbagg:
And here is the challenge for Anthony Davis. Do you want to be great?

Walter Jones just retired in Seattle:
Played 13 seasons, and flagged for only 9 holds.
Pass protected on 5,703 passing plays, and allowed only 23 sacks.

Mike Holmgren: "Best player that I ever coached".
Howard Mudd: "Best player that I ever coached, and he showed it from Day1".

Now that's GREAT. Are you paying attention, #76? Because you have the potential.

(Stats and quotes courtesy of Rob Rang).

lol
this is A.Dixons thread not A.Davis.
i was thinking for a minute what this had to do with Dixon.lol
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
And here is the challenge for Anthony Davis. Do you want to be great?

Walter Jones just retired in Seattle:
Played 13 seasons, and flagged for only 9 holds.
Pass protected on 5,703 passing plays, and allowed only 23 sacks.

Mike Holmgren: "Best player that I ever coached".
Howard Mudd: "Best player that I ever coached, and he showed it from Day1".

Now that's GREAT. Are you paying attention, #76? Because you have the potential.

(Stats and quotes courtesy of Rob Rang).

lol
this is A.Dixons thread not A.Davis.
i was thinking for a minute what this had to do with Dixon.lol

LOL, this forum turns into a dirty downtown-city bar just about every Friday afternoon.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
And here is the challenge for Anthony Davis. Do you want to be great?

Walter Jones just retired in Seattle:
Played 13 seasons, and flagged for only 9 holds.
Pass protected on 5,703 passing plays, and allowed only 23 sacks.

Mike Holmgren: "Best player that I ever coached".
Howard Mudd: "Best player that I ever coached, and he showed it from Day1".

Now that's GREAT. Are you paying attention, #76? Because you have the potential.

(Stats and quotes courtesy of Rob Rang).

lol
this is A.Dixons thread not A.Davis.
i was thinking for a minute what this had to do with Dixon.lol

LOL, this forum turns into a dirty downtown-city bar just about every Friday afternoon.

Lol. Sometimes i get this thread mistaken for Davis too..

[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Apr 30, 2010 at 13:08:30 ]
The more highlights I watch of this guy, the more I'm glad we have him. He ran great against tough SEC defenses. I like this pick...now about our 2nd and 3rd rounders...
I don't know why but I have a feeling that this pick is not gonna pan out. I really hope I'm wrong though. I saw a little bit of film on him and didn't come away impressed. I aint no scout so I really don't know what to look for but I saw nothing special with this dude.
Originally posted by pelos21:
I don't know why but I have a feeling that this pick is not gonna pan out. I really hope I'm wrong though. I saw a little bit of film on him and didn't come away impressed. I aint no scout so I really don't know what to look for but I saw nothing special with this dude.



Dam guys I noobed it up! This was supposed to go in the Anthony Davis thread. Dixon is gonna be a beast!
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Dixon gets coached to lead and pass block. How quickly this happens, no one knows. But in my opinion, Dixon at 235-240 lbs should become the starting FB sometime this season, and no later than next season.

Why? Because of his size? The way he runs reminds me of Jerome Bettis especially during his early years with the Rams. He does lower the boom when he sees contact coming but none of his clips nor any analyst have cited his propensity to lead blocks. I implied in an earlier post that Gore is at the tail end of his career and a future options has to be considered (whether it be Dixon or Coffee). People often cite a runners speed because of backs like Chris Johnson, but in clips he's shown a capacity to run away from defenders (corners and safety's included), which in my mind is game speed. Coffee still is an option but hopefully he learned that at this level avoiding initial contact is probably a better option because the defender doesn't easily go down when you lower the boom.
Originally posted by Ancient9r:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Dixon gets coached to lead and pass block. How quickly this happens, no one knows. But in my opinion, Dixon at 235-240 lbs should become the starting FB sometime this season, and no later than next season.

Why? Because of his size? The way he runs reminds me of Jerome Bettis especially during his early years with the Rams. He does lower the boom when he sees contact coming but none of his clips nor any analyst have cited his propensity to lead blocks. I implied in an earlier post that Gore is at the tail end of his career and a future options has to be considered (whether it be Dixon or Coffee). People often cite a runners speed because of backs like Chris Johnson, but in clips he's shown a capacity to run away from defenders (corners and safety's included), which in my mind is game speed. Coffee still is an option but hopefully he learned that at this level avoiding initial contact is probably a better option because the defender doesn't easily go down when you lower the boom.

You seem to think I was putting down Dixon. On the contrary. I was harkening back to when Roger Craig was Wendell Tyler's backup until Walsh put him in as the starting fullback. At that point, the Niners had two threats to run or catch passes. That's what I'd like the present-day Niners to emulate.

You may remember that after Tyler left the team, Craig lost a few pounds and became a star halfback. That too can happen for Dixon.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by Ancient9r:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Dixon gets coached to lead and pass block. How quickly this happens, no one knows. But in my opinion, Dixon at 235-240 lbs should become the starting FB sometime this season, and no later than next season.

Why? Because of his size? The way he runs reminds me of Jerome Bettis especially during his early years with the Rams. He does lower the boom when he sees contact coming but none of his clips nor any analyst have cited his propensity to lead blocks. I implied in an earlier post that Gore is at the tail end of his career and a future options has to be considered (whether it be Dixon or Coffee). People often cite a runners speed because of backs like Chris Johnson, but in clips he's shown a capacity to run away from defenders (corners and safety's included), which in my mind is game speed. Coffee still is an option but hopefully he learned that at this level avoiding initial contact is probably a better option because the defender doesn't easily go down when you lower the boom.

You seem to think I was putting down Dixon. On the contrary. I was harkening back to when Roger Craig was Wendell Tyler's backup until Walsh put him in as the starting fullback. At that point, the Niners had two threats to run or catch passes. That's what I'd like the present-day Niners to emulate.

You may remember that after Tyler left the team, Craig lost a few pounds and became a star halfback. That too can happen for Dixon.

I didn't think you were putting him down, but often a back that weighs over 230 is typecast as a fullback which isn't a bad thing but removes him as a primary option nevertheless. The current offensive philosophy rarely uses the fullback as a receiver and sparingly uses them in the run game, but that may be due to the skill level of our most recent fullbacks. If Dixon does end up playing lead block, would they allow him to spell Gore throughout the season and plug another fullback? I'm not sure how they plan to incorporate multiple backs, but Gores injury history dictates that he will miss two to three games this year which validates the necessity to allow other backs to share the load.
Originally posted by Ancient9r:


I didn't think you were putting him down, but often a back that weighs over 230 is typecast as a fullback which isn't a bad thing but removes him as a primary option nevertheless. The current offensive philosophy rarely uses the fullback as a receiver and sparingly uses them in the run game, but that may be due to the skill level of our most recent fullbacks. If Dixon does end up playing lead block, would they allow him to spell Gore throughout the season and plug another fullback? I'm not sure how they plan to incorporate multiple backs, but Gores injury history dictates that he will miss two to three games this year which validates the necessity to allow other backs to share the load.

I remember back when a 300 lb. lineman was known as a refrigerator, but now that lineman would be called an ice chest.

We're seeing the emergence of large, powerful running backs at weights we'd have previously associated only with linebackers and tight ends (Jerome Bettis was one of the prototypes). At the other end of the spectrum we have little scatbacks that weigh less than 200 lb. That makes guys like Gore and Coffee 'tweeners in this brave new world of running backs.