LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Anthony Dixon is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I love the interview with him. He'll be everything Coffee isn't, great addition and our starter when Fwankie retires.
Originally posted by mayo63:
I love the interview with him. He'll be everything Coffee isn't, great addition and our starter when Fwankie retires.

I wouldn't go that far
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:

I wouldn't go that far

I wouldn't go that far? Have you looked at those clips, he should have no problem being our #1 back.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 30, 2010 at 07:51:58 ]

I wouldn't go that far

I wouldn't go that far? Have you looked at those clips, he should have no problem being our #1 back.

He was a 6th rounder for a reason.

I wouldn't go that far

double post

[ Edited by jreff22 on Apr 30, 2010 at 07:55:54 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I wouldn't go that far

So was Tom Brady, huh? Not comparing the two just saying. You just never know what you got.

I wouldn't go that far

So was Tom Brady, huh? Not comparing the two just saying. You just never know what you got.

Very true, but I don't see him having the top end speed like a feature back. Gore can run away from people, I don't think this kid will out run DB's in the NFL.

I wouldn't go that far

glen coffee looked good in college too

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

I wouldn't go that far

glen coffee looked good in college too

No he didn't. He looks the same as his clips. No moves and just runs into the pile. He's exacltly like he was in college.

I wouldn't go that far

This argument gets really old. "He was a _th rounder for a reason." If you don't think a player has the potential to start, fine, but at least provide something of relevance in regard to his play. As far as careers go, the round selection means very little when it is all over.

Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

I wouldn't go that far

This argument gets really old. "He was a _th rounder for a reason." If you don't think a player has the potential to start, fine, but at least provide something of relevance in regard to his play. As far as careers go, the round selection means very little when it is all over.

Ok then why was he not taken earlier? What does Spiller, Best, Mathews, Tate, and Hardesty have that he doesn't? I have already said prior that he doesn't have top end speed and that's one of the reasons he was drafted in the 6th.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I wouldn't go that far

Very true, but I don't see him having the top end speed like a feature back. Gore can run away from people, I don't think this kid will out run DB's in the NFL.

I bet he's faster than Gore right now. He doesn't have to have 4.3 speed. Just hit the hole and our run the coverage. He has plenty enough speed to be a feature back. Think Brandon Jacob has top end speed? No but he jukes and runs over people. I'll say it now, Dixon will be #2 behind Gore and will one day be our feature back.

I wouldn't go that far

I bet he's faster than Gore right now. He doesn't have to have 4.3 speed. Just hit the hole and our run the coverage. He has plenty enough speed to be a feature back. Think Brandon Jacob has top end speed? No but he jukes and runs over people. I'll say it now, Dixon will be #2 behind Gore and will one day be our feature back.

Jacobs weighs 260lbs, that's why he doesn't need top end speed. Im not saying he going to be bad, I fully expect him to leapfrog Coffee and be the #2 very quickly. I just don't think he is rounded enough to be a feature back.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

I wouldn't go that far

Ok then why was he not taken earlier? What does Spiller, Best, Mathews, Tate, and Hardesty have that he doesn't? I have already said prior that he doesn't have top end speed and that's one of the reasons he was drafted in the 6th.

Have the 49ers ever had a starting RB with top end speed? Craig wasn't exceptionally fast, he was strong. Hearst had good speed, but not top end. Garner was very quick, but not top end. Gore is more of a strong runner.

What do you consider top end speed? And who in the past 49ers has had it? Seems to me the 49ers have moreso gone with backs that have strength to break some tackles, wear defenses down.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I wouldn't go that far

Jacobs weighs 260lbs, that's why he doesn't need top end speed. Im not saying he going to be bad, I fully expect him to leapfrog Coffee and be the #2 very quickly. I just don't think he is rounded enough to be a feature back.

Gotcha, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Nice debate though.
Share 49ersWebzone