LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Shaj:
not sure where else to post this, but I just read that the Bengals tried to trade up to our slot in the 2nd round in 2010 to get Taylor Mays and we denied the request. Instead they got DE Carlos Dunlap 5 picks later, who got 9 1/2 sacks as a rookie. Then later of course we shipped Mays to the Bengals for a 7th rounder.

First off, Baalke needs to be accountable for not taking that trade option. He has indicated Taylor was not his man from the beginning, but rather Sing's. He's the trigger man, he should have done the trade, not listen to what a motivational speaker has to say. Second of all, if the Bengals wanted Taylor that bad, then Baalke should not have sent an email to all 31 teams trying to unload Taylor, thus dramatically reducing his trade value. He should have instead discreetly contacted the Bengals first and then other safety depleted teams, and he would have likely gotten a higher draft pick than 7th. All rookie moves on Baalke's part. I'm not sold on him yet.

shaj this is a dead horse. Blame sing. Baalke did not want Mays

Granted and I agree with that, HOWEVER, the new informatino we now have is that Baalke KNEW that the Bengals wanted him, badly enough that they were willing to trade up to get him. So why email all 31 other teams and completely deflate his trade value, knowing that we are so desparate that we are willing to go to unprecedented measures to dump him? This is just very rookie form by Balke. I read that one GM said he had never seen something like this done before. What does that tell you? This GM 101, page 2.......
[ Edited by Shaj on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:57 AM ]
not sure where else to post this, but I just read that the Bengals tried to trade up to our slot in the 2nd round in 2010 to get Taylor Mays and we denied the request. Instead they got DE Carlos Dunlap 5 picks later, who got 9 1/2 sacks as a rookie. Then later of course we shipped Mays to the Bengals for a 7th rounder.

First off, Baalke needs to be accountable for not taking that trade option. He has indicated Taylor was not his man from the beginning, but rather Sing's. He's the trigger man, he should have done the trade, not listen to what a motivational speaker has to say. Second of all, if the Bengals wanted Taylor that bad, then Baalke should not have sent an email to all 31 teams trying to unload Taylor, thus dramatically reducing his trade value. He should have instead discreetly contacted the Bengals first and then other safety depleted teams, and he would have likely gotten a higher draft pick than 7th. All rookie moves on Baalke's part. I'm not sold on him yet.

Granted and I agree with that, HOWEVER, the new informatino we now have is that Baalke KNEW that the Bengals wanted him, badly enough that they were willing to trade up to get him. So why email all 31 other teams and completely deflate his trade value, knowing that we are so desparate that we are willing to go to unprecedented measures to dump him? This is just very rookie form by Balke. I read that one GM said he had never seen something like this done before. What does that tell you? This GM 101, page 2.......

We don't know all the facts. Maybe the Bangles had already made that offer and Balke was trying to get a better deal by e-mailing the NFL to see if he could drum up some business.

All I'm saying is that he's new and been doing a decent job so far. I mean we got something for a guy we all knew was going to get cut from the team... Cut the guy a little slack and give him the benifit of doubt on issues that we don't know all the facts about.
Doesn't this thread need to be either moved or deleted as Mays is long gone? Maybe rename the thread and stick it in NFL talk.
Mays is a bust, no one cares... move this thread.

This horse is beat.

The were willing to trade up at the draft, fast forward to now and he has been exposed....not the player people thought he would be. If only 1 team wanted Mays out of 31 then his trade value wasn't really high anyways.
Taylor Mays is awesome. He will dominate the league because he is "so fast" and "hits hard".
Share 49ersWebzone