LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
More like the db got owned not Mays.
Originally posted by pelos21:
More like the db got owned not Mays.

+1

Maybe he should have gotten there a bit quicker, maybe he should have tried to reach out to break up the pass, but he got there AFTER the catch was made (at least with his shoulder)
Originally posted by newmex480:
why is everybody hating on T. Mays? If he would of came out like year he would of been a top 15! They changed the scheme he was in so his numbers fell just like berrys but I didn't her anybody saying he can't cover! Mays with make the pro bowl in 5 years! mays is a monster just needs to be in the right scheme to utilize his skills

I ask myself this same question.

A -- If you are a true Niners fan, why wouldn't you want him to succeed?????

B -- He was asked to play a different position with different responsibilities @ USC. We have Goldson as our FS, and he should continue to improve. Mays will take over for Michael Lewis, probably sooner than later. Initially, he will be used more as a LB in the box.

C -- Coverage skills can be developed. I don't think that we will ever need him to be a ballhawk; that's not his game. There are relatively few SS's in the NFL that are solid in coverage. He is certainly athletic enough to cover TE's and the slot on occasion.

He is still very raw. It is too early to judge, and it's FAR to early to say that this pick was a mistake.

Taylor Mays Going for the Ball!
Originally posted by PTulini:

blasphemy
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:
Another Mays in Niners uni mockup, home jersey :

Woah.. BuZzB, calmate
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

blasphemy

lol Supposedly he made that INT today.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

blasphemy

lol Supposedly he made that INT today.

i'm glad that he made that int today..
Lets not pretend that all of the "pundits" who have been our biggest informers on this guy know what the hell there talking about. Most of the so called professionals like Kiper and Mayock are completley full of it.

They went like 6 for 32 in there mock drafts!

You want to get a feel for this kid then just listen to his interviews before and after the draft and you cant think anything other than consumate professional. He is smart and respectful!

Love him....hate him, he is a damn good 2rd pick.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

double takedown nice

That would probably be a fine in the NFL, not to mention its no good to knock out your own guy. Imagine if that was Goldson. ....

Agreed, you can't lead with your head either, or you will hurt yourself.

If you look at the slow mo closely it's his right shoulder which should've been a legal hit because the WR ducked his head right into his shoulder.The ref missed the call

[ Edited by Super5 on May 2, 2010 at 00:31:38 ]

I'm loving the pick more each day
Originally posted by 228niner:

Same here, Just him being on the field makes our defense better. You really think WR will feel safe going across the middle. Im okay with losing some picks as long as he jars balls loose, makes receivers drop the ball. Him and willis controlling the middle will have a huge effect on our defense. Trust me if the coaches really think his cover skills are really that bad they will not put him in position to fail(covering the slot). Coaches Get paid to put players in position to suceed and Mays is no different. Manusky will find every way to take advantage of his freakish speed and ability to lay the wood without being a liability on D.
Originally posted by thuglife619:

Same here, Just him being on the field makes our defense better. You really think WR will feel safe going across the middle. Im okay with losing some picks as long as he jars balls loose, makes receivers drop the ball. Him and willis controlling the middle will have a huge effect on our defense. Trust me if the coaches really think his cover skills are really that bad they will not put him in position to fail(covering the slot). Coaches Get paid to put players in position to suceed and Mays is no different. Manusky will find every way to take advantage of his freakish speed and ability to lay the wood without being a liability on D.

One more note...I really wanna see mays come off the edge and blitz a couple times a game.
Originally posted by 49erDan:
Lets not pretend that all of the "pundits" who have been our biggest informers on this guy know what the hell there talking about. Most of the so called professionals like Kiper and Mayock are completley full of it.

They went like 6 for 32 in there mock drafts!

Just have to comment on this. After Jacksonville reached for Alualu and then the flurry of trades where teams began drafting for need (Ryan Matthews to SD at 12???), I don't think anyone's mock had a chance. Same effect as a few upsets in the NCAA Tournament. I won't defend Kiper, but I think you'll find that Mayock's assessments are nearly as predictive of success in the league are our own OTC's and MadDog's.

The two major areas of concern prior to the draft were offensive line and corner. The offensive line was covered, but when our pick came around in the 2nd, Mays was the best available "defensive back". As Manusky stated you can't teach speed, but he left out you "can't teach height". Mays is a freak, his speed and height matches up well with the elite wide outs and with his speed he's capable of recovering from a misread. For now, his best fit would be at corner. Someone stated that instincts can't be taught, but it's up to the individual, time and continuity for it to take effect. He is aware of his deficiencies (it's not due to limited capacity), he has shown a willingness to learn and adjust. He should be allowed to adjust in the NFL as a corner, where he can focus on one player and provide run support when necessary.
Share 49ersWebzone