LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Taylor Mays is a Niner!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
im guessing Mays wears #20, what do you guys think?

Would be awesome ... I always liked that jersey number.
Originally posted by kray28:
Watch the video of Mays where he talks about how Lott grabbed him arm and then by the throat during an SC v. Stanford game and said, "You better hit somebody".

It made me giddy...to be honest.

LOL I must agree I had the same feeling. I just hope he had bad coaching at USC and that was the problem. If we can get the kid to read coverages and cover correctly while teaching him proper tackling techniques......he could be one of the biggest steals of the draft. I have my doubts on some of his skills but if he proves me wrong I will be thrilled. But I do know for a fact that he can lay people out, Mays and Goldson could end up being the bash brothers very quickly.
  • rum53
  • Veteran
I really like Mays' attitude. While he's a physical specimen, he has several holes in his game. However, everything that I've read says he's one of the hardest workers that you will find, has great character, and very coachable. Now he has a chip on his shoulder from his draft day fall.

Yes there is a risk that Mays will not fulfill his potential. On the other end, the sky is the limit for this kid. He has natural athleticism that can't be coached. It's now a matter of maximizing it.

I would be very upset if we made this pick in the first round. The risk associated with Mays is just too high for a 1st round pick. The risk is much more palatable in the second round.

Accounting for both risk and reward, the 49ers made an excellent decision to pick Mays in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by kray28:
Watch the video of Mays where he talks about how Lott grabbed him arm and then by the throat during an SC v. Stanford game and said, "You better hit somebody".

It made me giddy...to be honest.

LOL I must agree I had the same feeling. I just hope he had bad coaching at USC and that was the problem. If we can get the kid to read coverages and cover correctly while teaching him proper tackling techniques......he could be one of the biggest steals of the draft. I have my doubts on some of his skills but if he proves me wrong I will be thrilled. But I do know for a fact that he can lay people out, Mays and Goldson could end up being the bash brothers very quickly.

Originally posted by InconvnientTruth:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by ianna:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
So we drafted a cheap version of Michael Lewis.

What is wrong with Michael Lewis?

Nothing's wrong with Lewis: he's a good rover for us and, IMO, Mays is molded in the same fashion. I hoped we would have picked up more of a speedier, coverage-type safety. Not really ecstatic about this pick, but I hope Mays' performance proves my doubts wrong.

I think Mays has plenty of speed

Mays problem isn't speed. It's his liability in coverage.

At #49, I'm ok with the pick. Not ecstatic but I can't see Mays starting from day 1. He does need to improve his ball skills.

-9fA

^^^^ that
and he can hit but he also needs to wrap up more.
some of the tackles he makes in this video, nfl players could break them cuz he doesnt wrap up and they could take it to the house, but the things that are wrong with him can be coached

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ze_jaJlXQ

I dont follow college football at all, so I only begin reading up on these guys when they are ready to come out. This is the first time I see a highlight reel on this kid and I have got to say that my un-biased opinion is I JUST CREAMED MY PANTS!!!!! Who gives a s**t if he lacks coverage skills if he makes up for it in speed, size, run support, and with those awesome hits!! He manhandles these guys like freaking rag dolls!

I agree that he could improve on his tackling (wrapping guys up), but you cannot teach a guy to become a head-hunter like this! Wow. He's like a faster Polamalu that could improve his coverage skills.

I cant wait to see him in the 49ers uniform!
I am so f*#kin juiced for the season opener @ Seattle.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I didnt want him in the first but at #49??? That is a hell of a pick for someone who is a 6-4 230 pound safety with ridiculous speed who likes to knock the s**t out of people.I think its a great pick at 49 and he has tremendous potential in the NFL.

This.

I mean come on. His upside is off the charts and we got him at #49. For you guys complaining and that didn't want him from #13 - #17 or 11 as it turns out we had. WE DIDN"T GET HIM THERE! We got him at #49. And he's damn well worth that on upside alone. Coach him up and fix some of the things he does wrong and we can have an absolute steal on our hands.
Seems to be Taylo Mayde for our hard hitting D. We now have one more huge fast guy that will be swarming to the ball on every play. He like so many on our D posses momentum and game changing qualitys now just a little chemistry and creativity..
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
It's not who the Niners wanted, but they got'im and I'm rooting for him.

They wanted Nate Allen.

When Allen was picked Baalke looked up at the ceiling, then did a "damnit" flex...and then the room went into work mode, trying to figure something out. Singletary wasn't happy and eventually left the room.

When it came time for the pick, they were not excited, and casually shook hands and Baalke took his sheet from in front of him and crumpled it up and threw it away, disappointedly.

Let's see what he can do.

*edit - and now that I think about it, I don't think Sing left the room because there was nothing more for him to say or because he was upset, but rather to go somewhere quieter to get ready to make the phone call to Mays.

How did you see all of this?? Was their draft room streaming live the whole time??

Yea, it was. And I found it hard to not watch.

I think a lot of people thought Sing was really upset and left, but I think he was just being intense like he is because their ideal plan didn't turn out. That's partly why I edited the post, because I don't want people who didn't see it to think they were terribly upset and Sing stormed off, because they were really just working through their contingencies and I think Sing just left to get ready to make the call since there was no one on the phone in the draft room when the pick came in.

It should be live again tomorrow. Even though the picks won't be as exciting, you should be able to check it out at: Live draft room feed

Thanks for the link. I wish I would have known this ahead of time.

And also thanks for clarifying your statement about him walking out of the room. To anyone that didnt see it, it sounded like Sing was pissed about the pick and what message would it be sending this young kid who is just entering the building?
Gotta love NFL Network's analysis of the 49ers and their draft. Shortly after we selected Taylor Mays one of the commentators said, "They are not a team I would want to get in a street fight with!"

Do you guys really think singletary was mad at the mays pick? i thought he really liked him at his pro day.. either way singletary was prob mad at the willis pick and look how that turned out :D
Originally posted by CrabsAndVD:
Do you guys really think singletary was mad at the mays pick? i thought he really liked him at his pro day.. either way singletary was prob mad at the willis pick and look how that turned out :D

have you not seen Singletary's interview about Mays? wth said he was mad? dude loves Mays
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
I am extremely happy with every single pick we have made, it couldn't have gone better. When I saw Mays was our pick, I almost yelled out "Yes!!", then realized in the middle of a hospital full of sick people, celebrating is not looked on very nicely.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Seriously, Dashon Goldson + Taylor Mays...

Could you imagine the type of destruction these two could bring together? These guys could sandwich some f**kers to the injury reserve list... Good lord, if we tune-up Mays' coverage skills the way we were able to fix Gholdson's coming out of UoW our defense is just nuts...

But I'm surprised nobody has brought up how valuable Mays is going to be working out of our 3-4, we could also use this guy as a disguised pass-rusher on 2nd down situations (cause Mays is fast/pounding), cause we're actually a team that uses 'old-school' safety-blitz packages.

I'm with you all the way. This should be a deadly force across the middle next year.
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Originally posted by CrabsAndVD:

have you not seen Singletary's interview about Mays? wth said he was mad? dude loves Mays

Yeah I was reading last night that he really liked Mays from some people on this board. Anyone got a link/youtube to what Sing said though?
Share 49ersWebzone