There are 262 users in the forums

Anthony "Bam" Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
These guys are talented.

Like Vernon Davis talented.

You can't expect them to be pro bowlers overnight.

Maybe by the end of year 2 , they will be.

I agree, It will take some time. We just wanted it to happen because of our thirst for a playoff birth, we wanted the O-Line to dominate immediately. He as well as Iupati will be just fine. Rachal on the other hand . He has all the physical tools, I just think its more mental and not willing to conquer the mental aspect of the game (film, preparation, ect.)

Davis has gotten better and maybe it was because he was faced with a HUGE challenge in stopping Dockett (the s**t talker) and Matthews (the best pass rusher in the NFC if not NFL at the moment) and his competitive nature just kicked in to prove a point. HOPEFULLY it was not JUST THAT and he truly is getting better with the game slowing down for him.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with some injuries to Seattle, he will be facing Kentwan Balmer in some extensive action on Sunday He BETTER dominate that match up

Kentwan is a punk-ass b***h and Davis will eat him alive! Book IT!

Balmer stats

Well i still believe he could have been good if he actually tried and put in the effort. it seems once he got in the dog house he never got out. but it's good to hear that A davis is coming along and i have notice all season he's got the talent it's just the work off the field for him as well. it's good to see the last 2 games he has improved. and it's also nice to see even in a loss and with your team down that A davis new he was going to get the best of clay and he did what we drafted him for...
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/04/14/49ers-keeping-the-faith-in-ot-davis

Posted April 14, 2011 @ 12:19 p.m. ET
By Dan Arkush
If you look at the numbers, a case could be made for Niners 2010 first-round ORT Anthony Davis perhaps being the worst tackle in the NFL last season. Davis’ 10 penalties (seven were false starts) and 11½ sacks allowed were impossible to ignore, but the way we hear it, the Niners are expecting major improvement in Davis' second season and still believe he has what it takes to develop into a top-grade talent at the pro level.

“That better be the case,” one team insider said. “He has a lot of work to do. But he has already answered a lot of questions: Will he be engaged? Will he work hard enough? He gets high marks on all those counts.”

Davis’ pass protection has been the big problem.

“His run-blocking is devastating, but in general, he really has struggled protecting the passer,” the insider said. “It seemed like he whiffed a couple of times per game. But he’s so big and athletic. And he can just destroy people. The new coaching staff seems to like him. The feeling is it’s just a matter of him learning the game. But he’s still a huge question mark. Kwame Harris [the 26th pick in the 2003 draft] was the same way — a big, quick, talented player who just never materialized.”

Giving up 11 sacks is a lot, but it's possible that was more towards the beginning and middle of the season. I sure hope he works out. He did have Solari last year.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Apr 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM ]
49ers keeping the faith in OT Davis
Link

I'm really hoping he keeps up with his workout routine and continues to improve. This lockout could prove detrimental to his progress. I want him to eventually become our LT, but he needs a lot more work and consistency.

But then again, he is still 21. I know I didn't have s**t figured out when I was 21!
you beat me to it
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

By Dan Arkush
If you look at the numbers, a case could be made for Niners 2010 first-round ORT Anthony Davis perhaps being the worst tackle in the NFL last season. Davis’ 10 penalties (seven were false starts) and 11½ sacks allowed were impossible to ignore, but the way we hear it, the Niners are expecting major improvement in Davis' second season and still believe he has what it takes to develop into a top-grade talent at the pro level.

“That better be the case,” one team insider said. “He has a lot of work to do. But he has already answered a lot of questions: Will he be engaged? Will he work hard enough? He gets high marks on all those counts.”

“His run-blocking is devastating, but in general, he really has struggled protecting the passer,” the insider said. “It seemed like he whiffed a couple of times per game. But he’s so big and athletic. And he can just destroy people. The new coaching staff seems to like him. The feeling is it’s just a matter of him learning the game. But he’s still a huge question mark. Kwame Harris [the 26th pick in the 2003 draft] was the same way — a big, quick, talented player who just never materialized.”

Giving up 11 sacks is a lot, but it's possible that was more towards the beginning and middle of the season. I sure hope he works out. He did have Solari last year.

Never trust Pro Football Weekly.
so glad we moved up to get him. Jackpot.
Its early. I hope he put in work in the off season though.
So how did he do against Clay Matthews?

Sure, he's developing as a pass protector and was noted since the beginning having those issues. His run blocking is superb. However, he does show that he's got talent in pass blocking when he's on like against Matthews. I expected him to get beat soundly by Clay and didn't.

That alone is something to build from. We will know immediately once a camp starts whether or not this kid is legit. He better be in shape and better demonstrate improvement in technique or all the "labels" were right on with him--too immature.

I don't think that is the case. The one thing I truly love about the kid is the "Big Brother" mentality. He runs down field behind the RBs or QBs as a protector and will almost always be around the backs at the end of their run...that's hustle. He's nasty and loves to hit.

I expect better from him along with my man, Iupati. Now he's going to blow people up on the inside and on sweeps.

I still think Davis was the right choice.
His technique in pass blocking is just horrible. the main problem is that he doesn't use his hands. Instead of firing out his arms and engaging the defender he lets the defender get to close to his body then it's over. Just gotta improve that and work on his footwork when dealing with speed rushers.

By Dan Arkush

this seems quite insignificant, in as much as this board has provn that oline play has nothing to do with how the offense performs

Originally posted by ninertico:

Sure, he's developing as a pass protector and was noted since the beginning having those issues. His run blocking is superb. However, he does show that he's got talent in pass blocking when he's on like against Matthews. I expected him to get beat soundly by Clay and didn't.

That alone is something to build from. We will know immediately once a camp starts whether or not this kid is legit. He better be in shape and better demonstrate improvement in technique or all the "labels" were right on with him--too immature.

I don't think that is the case. The one thing I truly love about the kid is the "Big Brother" mentality. He runs down field behind the RBs or QBs as a protector and will almost always be around the backs at the end of their run...that's hustle. He's nasty and loves to hit.

I expect better from him along with my man, Iupati. Now he's going to blow people up on the inside and on sweeps.

Exactly. Once the CBA clusterf**k is rectified, he better be ready! I also think he was the right choice (unsure if giving up our 4th for him was necessary). We are all a little gun-shy from Kwame.

He may never be "pro-bowl" worthy, but a solid RT to pair with a solid LT in Staley, a "pro-bowl" quality LG in Iupati, and a better-than-expected C in Bass, we are close to solidifying the line! Cmon Rachal, put it together!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by ninertico:

Exactly. Once the CBA clusterf**k is rectified, he better be ready! I also think he was the right choice (unsure if giving up our 4th for him was necessary). We are all a little gun-shy from Kwame.

He may never be "pro-bowl" worthy, but a solid RT to pair with a solid LT in Staley, a "pro-bowl" quality LG in Iupati, and a better-than-expected C in Bass, we are close to solidifying the line! Cmon Rachal, put it together!

I'll be totally pissed if he ends up just being "solid". You dont take a RT that high for him to be solid. We could of got a journeyman to play at the level he played last year. However, he never played RT before last year. I would imagine it would be a tough transition. He also played some top flight pass rushers last year.
Originally posted by hofer36:

By Dan Arkush

this seems quite insignificant, in as much as this board has provn that oline play has nothing to do with how the offense performs

Having a guy like Chilo Rachal next to him doesn't help matters at all. I will say that when he had a veteran next to him, (like Adam Snyder) Anthony Davis actually played pretty well. So what does that tell you? Chilo Rachal is probably the bigger problem!
He needs to become a probowler, because teams are just going to send the best passrusher against him. They did it all last season, he will have to prove he can stop them otherwise teams will just keep doing it, dam match ups!!!! I think he's already better then k.harris, he seems to have heart and want to play football!
nowadays being a pro bowler doesnt mean too much, do they even select RT's for the pro bowl anymore? he just needs to play a little better.
Share 49ersWebzone