LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

Anthony "Bam" Davis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Quote:
Newly anointed starter Anthony Davis will make history simply by trotting out to the field.

Davis will become the youngest offensive lineman ever to start a 49ers game, according to new research by team historian Donn Sinn. The rookie from Rutgers will be 20 years, 11 months and 29 days old when the 49ers play their regular-season-opener on Sept. 12.

He is a full year younger than the previous 49ers record-holder as the youngest starting lineman. Roland Lakes was 21 years, 11 months and 24 days old when he suited up in 1961.

Just don’t offer Davis a toast to his accomplishment. He’s is not allowed to drink champagne.

The rookie is, however, wise enough to know his place this training camp. “Come in and listen to the vets and try to not make the same mistake twice,’’ Davis said. “You have to stay focused and be coachable and listen and believe in yourself.

At 6-foot-5, 323 pounds, Davis hardly looks like a kid. But he’s five months shy of being the youngest 49ers starter ever, at any position. The only player to get into the lineup at an earlier age was Charlie Powell, who was 20 years, 6 months, 22 days when he played defensive end in 1952.

Now it’s Davis’ turn. Ready or not, here he comes.

“I think there is a toughness there,’’ coach Mike Singletary said. “I think he has the tools and he continues to work his tail off in practice. This is something that he really wants to be good at.”

Sinn, the human treasure trove of 49ers information, researched the youngest players question at the request of The Mercury News. He added that Powell’s debut seemed to go OK. After a 28-0 victory over the Detroit Lions, Powell was awarded the game ball – the first time that a 49ers rookie had been so honored.

Here’s Sinn’s complete list:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOUNGEST 49ERS PLAYERS TO START A REGULAR SEASON GAME
No. Player – Pos. Birthdate 1st Start Chronological Age
1. Charlie Powell – E 04Apr32 12Oct52 20 yrs 06 mos 22 days
2. Anthony Davis – T 11Oct89 12Sep10 20 yrs 11 mos 29 days
3. Dicky Moegle – HB 14Sep34 25Sep55 21 yrs 0 mos 19 days
4. Alex Smith – QB 07May84 09Oct05 21 yrs 05 mos 28 days
5. Roland Lakes – C/T 25Dec39 19Nov61 21 yrs 11 mos 24 days

Youth is Served on O-line
Did you see the halftime highlight video Jaime Dukes was talking about? Anthony Davis is not using his long arms to his advantage. He called Davis a "heavy legged waist bender", not a positive term.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He's a young guy hopefully he gets better.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Did you see the halftime highlight video Jaime Dukes was talking about? Anthony Davis is not using his long arms to his advantage. He called Davis a "heavy legged waist bender", not a positive term.

Yep. I don't like Jamie Dukes very much, but he has played OL in the NFL before and his criticism seemed fair.

He might not be off to the best of starts (false start, allowing pressure), but its still just the first preseason game of a very young players career. I'm not worried, but I'm not impressed with his play, either.
Originally posted by susweel:

but at what cost? we need to win now!!!!!!
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by susweel:

but at what cost? we need to win now!!!!!!

Yah I don't think he is ready to start yet. Its really kind of a shame considering how high he was drafted.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Someone with photo shop skills need to change this to, "I'm gonna get raped."

BUMP!

Can he get it done or is it Kwame all over again?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by NickSh49:
BUMP!

Can he get it done or is it Kwame all over again?

I sure hope not, dont know if my heart can take another Kwame.

up next..

Jared Allen?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
up next..

Jared Allen?

Not sure what side he plays on but I think he moves around a bit. Personally I hope he sees him...I want him up against the best during preseason so he is ready come regular season.
Originally posted by jreff22:
up next..

Jared Allen?

Not sure what side he plays on but I think he moves around a bit. Personally I hope he sees him...I want him up against the best during preseason so he is ready come regular season.

Allen plays RDE and Smith plays RT, so they will not see each other unless Allen is moved around. Offense and Defense is always oriented by standing at the respective sides endzone and looking towards the line of scrimmage, meaning if the offense and defense or on the field together you wouldn't align them from the same endzone perspective.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This is exactly how Kwame Harris started out. He sucked his first pre season game and everybody said "oh he's young and he will get better". Well the getting better never did happen. Hopefully this guy actually does get better, but from all my years of watching football you can usually tell right away if a dude can play or not.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by jreff22:
up next..

Jared Allen?

Allen plays RDE and Smith plays RT, so they will not see each other unless Allen is moved around. Offense and Defense is always oriented by standing at the respective sides endzone and looking towards the line of scrimmage, meaning if the offense and defense or on the field together you wouldn't align them from the same endzone perspective.

LOL I know that...I just wasn't sure if he was a RDE or LDE
Share 49ersWebzone