There are 221 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Starting to accumulate some talent

By my count, the 49ers will have 14 first round picks on the team by the end of next Thursday: The recently added Ted Ginn, Jr and David Carr, along with Michael Crabtree, Kentwan Balmer, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, and Alex Smith. Nate Clements, Justin Smith, and Takeo Spikes came earlier as free agents. And now the 2 first rounders on Thursday, barring trades.

Are there any other teams in the league with so many first rounders?

We can debate how good (or bad) any of them are, but the point is that for whatever reason, the 49ers are putting together a hella group of talented players and in my mind, it's up to the coaches to put them in a position to maximize their collective strengths and generate a winning record.
[ Edited by Yetiman on Apr 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
  • Mex49
Mike Nolan had a plan
Balmer and Carr on the bench?
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Balmer and Carr on the bench?

But they're 1st rounders!!!
Originally posted by matt49er:
This is bad...I missed a couple: Nate Clements and Justin Smith are also 1st rounders...that makes 11 now plus the two on Thursday, a total of 13.

Pretty amazing!
You forgot Nate Clements, Takeo Spikes and Justin Smith.
Originally posted by Yetiman:
This is bad...I missed a couple: Nate Clements and Justin Smith are also 1st rounders...that makes 11 now plus the two on Thursday, a total of 13.

Pretty amazing!

Don't count your before they hatch.
By my count, the 49ers will have 11 first round picks on the team by the end of next Thursday: The recently added Ted Ginn, Jr and David Carr, along with Michael Crabtree, Kentwan Balmer, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, and Alex Smith. And the 2 first rounders on Thursday, barring trades.

We can debate how good (or bad) any of them are, but the point is that for whatever reason, the 49ers are putting together a hella group of talented players and in my mind, it's up to the coaches to put them in a position to maximize their collective strengths and generate a winning record.

I must say, going sub 8-8 for seven consecutive years was a brillant strategy. We may have just invented a the blue print for NFL teams of the future.
  • flow
  • Veteran
[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Apr 17, 2010 at 9:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
By my count, the 49ers will have 11 first round picks on the team by the end of next Thursday: The recently added Ted Ginn, Jr and David Carr, along with Michael Crabtree, Kentwan Balmer, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, and Alex Smith. And the 2 first rounders on Thursday, barring trades.

I must say, going sub 8-8 for seven consecutive years was a brillant strategy. We may have just invented a the blue print for NFL teams of the future.

I gotta agree with Oakland-Niner. Just because they were taken in the first round doesn't mean they can play and if you find a great player doesn't mean he was a first rounder. The Nines have accumulated draft picks since 2005 but how much of those first rounders have actually panned out and realized their potential? VD just showed up last year, Willis is a beast, Staley is good and improving. Questions still linger about Manny,Balmer,and Alex. Carr and Ginn although new to the team still need to prove themselves as well. I would say there is a load of potential on the team but to say this team has an adequate amount of talent is an exageration, especially with the lack their of on the oline aside from staley.
Originally posted by Shifter:
Originally posted by matt49er: