LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 287 users in the forums

Starting to accumulate some talent

Shop Find 49ers gear online
we didn't have ginn and carr last year and still missed the playoffs..we need talent on the o-line
  • ninerfaithful80
  • Info N/A
yes we are! Ginn gives us speed we havent had in a decade. Special teams wiz and big potenital in the slot. I say just send his a$$ deep everytime and let Crab and VD work off that. If he can burn Revis he can blow by anyone. Most of all i hope this ends the Spiller talks in the 1st round because id rather fill a different hole!
Originally posted by Yetiman:
By my count, the 49ers will have 11 first round picks on the team by the end of next Thursday: The recently added Ted Ginn, Jr and David Carr, along with Michael Crabtree, Kentwan Balmer, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, and Alex Smith. And the 2 first rounders on Thursday, barring trades.

We can debate how good (or bad) any of them are, but the point is that for whatever reason, the 49ers are putting together a hella group of talented players and in my mind, it's up to the coaches to put them in a position to maximize their collective strengths and generate a winning record.

The lions have a lot of first rounders too. That doesn't mean those players are talented.
I had noticed the point about Carr and Ginn being 1st rounders. It is an interesting but ultimately irrelevant point. For example I am unconvinced that we can describe the signing of Carr as being an accumulation of talent!
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Yetiman:
By my count, the 49ers will have 11 first round picks on the team by the end of next Thursday: The recently added Ted Ginn, Jr and David Carr, along with Michael Crabtree, Kentwan Balmer, Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, and Alex Smith. And the 2 first rounders on Thursday, barring trades.

We can debate how good (or bad) any of them are, but the point is that for whatever reason, the 49ers are putting together a hella group of talented players and in my mind, it's up to the coaches to put them in a position to maximize their collective strengths and generate a winning record.

I must say, going sub 8-8 for seven consecutive years was a brillant strategy. We may have just invented a the blue print for NFL teams of the future.

I gotta agree with Oakland-Niner. Just because they were taken in the first round doesn't mean they can play and if you find a great player doesn't mean he was a first rounder. The Nines have accumulated draft picks since 2005 but how much of those first rounders have actually panned out and realized their potential? VD just showed up last year, Willis is a beast, Staley is good and improving. Questions still linger about Manny,Balmer,and Alex. Carr and Ginn although new to the team still need to prove themselves as well. I would say there is a load of potential on the team but to say this team has an adequate amount of talent is an exageration, especially with the lack their of on the oline aside from staley.

I think this is just about the best possible summarization of the team as it presently stands. But one must remember the positive thing to take out of our current situation is, being a team filled with potential, is a hell of a measure better than being a team with no potential as we were a lot of times in recent years. The next step would be to become a team that realizes its potential (fingers crossed), that's a day that can't come fast enough.
Let's hope all this talent comes together & gets us to the playoffs this year.
Having a bunch of first round picks on the team doesn't mean we're talented. I'm sure the lions have a ton of first round picks on their team. If we were so talented we'd have a better record. The best teams find value in the later rounds.
Balmer a first rounder? Must be bizarro-world (or else McCloughan-world).
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Share 49ersWebzone