There are 171 users in the forums

Ted Ginn a niner (5th round pick)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gamechanger:
His head is always on a swivel when he's about to catch a pass, and that last drop he had illustrates it perfectly. As soon as the ball got close he turned his head, and he got his body ready for impact from a defender that wasn't even there. He goes to the ground way too often when he catches comeback/stop routes instead of trying to get extra yards. I hope we see less of him at wr and let Kyle Williams do his thing.
Here we go again. If we get rid of Ginn, I hope you like fumbled punt and kickoff returns because that's what we'll start seeing again. You do remember those, don't you? Sometimes people forget the Dark Ages of Arnaz Battle, Punt Returner. Worst return average in the entire league.
Originally posted by gamechanger:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I don't think he's soft. The guy is a punt returner on ST, where guys are coming up full speed, trying to knock him out every time he tries to catch the ball. He gets in trouble when he tries to run with the ball before he could catch it, especially on an easy one where he just assumed that he has got it. A lack of concentration.

As a punt returner he isn't, as a wr he is. Watch the drop again, his body goes into a shutdown defensive mode and you can see it in his facial expression. He was preparing for impact but no one was there.

I've looked at the play again. I didn't see like you did. He did a little jump move to the inside while catching the ball. Whether to shield the ball from his defender behind him or trying to catch it quick and move inside upfield, if he just stayed still for a split second to catch the ball it would have been an easy catch. He made harder by moving while catching the ball.
I love how all of Ted Ginn's best catches are caught out of bounds (see Troy Smith last year) or are called back because of a penalty (the Ravens' game).

On a more serious note, both he and Vernon Davis have gone to the school of "Incredible potential gone to waste." For all their athletic talents, they can't do what they're paid to do, CATCH THE BALL!
[ Edited by Eskendale on Dec 1, 2011 at 7:51 AM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I wouldn't call him soft. Dude is not scared to get hit on returns. He's got DB hands though.
What this team needs is a reliable pass-catching white or hispanic guy who will make that catch when you absolutely positively need to make a first down.......
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He gets caught trying to run before he catches the ball quite often, whether that is trying to make a big play or fear of getting hit who knows.
Originally posted by Eskendale:
I love how all of Ted Ginn's best catches are caught out of bounds (see Troy Smith last year) or are called back because of a penalty (the Ravens' game).

On a more serious note, both he and Vernon Davis have gone to the school of "Incredible potential gone to waste." For all their athletic talents, they can't do what they're paid to do, CATCH THE BALL!

By us, he is paid to RETURN THE BALL. Which he does incredibly well. Unlike some of his predecessors. If you remember?
Wow.
like ChazBoner said, the dude just has DB hands
I've seen ginn makes some nice blocks in the open field. He up ended a guy in the Baltimore game. The guy has heart, just not great hands. A lot of receivers won't block like he does. And he's one of the smaller receivers.

Originally posted by DMiller2007:
I've seen ginn makes some nice blocks in the open field. He up ended a guy in the Baltimore game. The guy has heart, just not great hands. A lot of receivers won't block like he does. And he's one of the smaller receivers.

Ginn whiff on blocks. His blocking is as inconsistent as his hands. Maybe even worse. It might be just me seeing his bad ones but missed his good.
Originally posted by English:

By us, he is paid to RETURN THE BALL. Which he does incredibly well. Unlike some of his predecessors. If you remember?

Ginn has improved his route-running, he just needs to improve his hands. After Morgan went down I'd honestly see him in there over anyone else. He's a damn good returner, but he deserves and ought to be a very competent wide-out. As my brother would say, he just needs to realize who he is and start playing ball. We have a guy who can stretch the field but in nine games we've not been able to capitalize on it. I sincerely hope Ginn makes the best out of Braylon's absence and gives Harbaugh reason to keep him around for good.

Allen Rossum was our last best returner. But Ginn is in a different league. He at least has potential to be a contributor outside of special teams or a Mike Martz trick play.
[ Edited by Eskendale on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM ]
Kind of a stupid statement being that he was brought in here to RETURN KICKS. He is doing that part great IMO. Plus he is cheap compared to Josh Cribbs. Furthermore anything we get from him as a WR is a bonus. Soft? Hmmm that catch he made against the Ravens was pretty tough to me. For one the pass was pretty high and he actually broke a tackle for a TD. Too bad the refs had to cheat him out of it. He never was thought of a Andre or Calvin Johnson type WR so hmm not breaking tackles or running hard against defenders is not surpising to me. The guy is like 5'10 170lbs.
Originally posted by English:

I've finally gotten rid of that irrational fear that I had for years every time a team punted to us. I would feel my heart in my throat seeing the ball come down into Arnaz Battle's "hands" (and whoever else).

Hell, now-a-days once I defense gets someone stopped on 3rd down, I feel good. Before, our 3rd down defense was whether or not the punter could simply catch the punt... ugggh
Wasnt Ted Ginn a DB in college?
Share 49ersWebzone