There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Hindsight Davis over Holmes

• EdEs
  • Veteran
Well it seems that McNolan regime was correct when they said that Vernon Davis was not only the best tight end but also the best reciever. Who would have thought that only a year later after Santonio Holmes' superbowl mvp catch, Vernon Davis would lead the entire nfl (tied with fitzgerald) in touchdowns while Santonio Holmes is traded for a 5th round draft pick. Thoughts?
Holmes is still a pretty good receiver, no matter what he was traded for. Davis is getting better, but its hard to compare the two.
Holmes had a pro bowl 2 time Super Bowl Champion QB throwing to him, Vernon has had a collection of Alex Smith, Shaun Hill and Trent Dilfer.
Hindsight Davis was a good pick. The next best player hindsight would have been Ngata and later Cromartie. Ngata is great and Cromartie is ok but VD has hall of fame potential. He is young and tore it up last year. He looked more and more like a WR as the season progressed.
Vernon still has to show he can do it more than once.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Holmes had a pro bowl 2 time Super Bowl Champion QB throwing to him, Vernon has had a collection of Alex Smith, Shaun Hill and Trent Dilfer.

I agree. Holmes is garbage (obviously). Other than that spectacular catch...nobody would give a s**t. I'd take Plax over him. IMO...Morgan will be better than him.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Hindsight Davis was a good pick. The next best player hindsight would have been Ngata and later Cromartie. Ngata is great and Cromartie is ok but VD has hall of fame potential. He is young and tore it up last year. He looked more and more like a WR as the season progressed.

This is soo true. As crazy as it sounds after last year, he still has much room for improvement. I'm curious to how good he will be 5 yrs from now. He is fantastic the way he is. He just needs to work on the dropped passes. Which could have been part of the musical qb situation and lack of continuity at qb. But I aint making excusses. This year the niners tear it up
Originally posted by frankie:

This is soo true. As crazy as it sounds after last year, he still has much room for improvement. I'm curious to how good he will be 5 yrs from now. He is fantastic the way he is. He just needs to work on the dropped passes. Which could have been part of the musical qb situation and lack of continuity at qb. But I aint making excusses. This year the niners tear it up

Baring injury, the way this guy takes care of his body there is no reason he can't play well into his 30's. I'm looking forward to 10 more years of VD....
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Baring injury, the way this guy takes care of his body there is no reason he can't play well into his 30's. I'm looking forward to 10 more years of VD....

Very true, lookin forward to 10 more yrs wit vd!!!! he is gonna be the s**t for us for sure

Lmao

Very true, lookin forward to 10 more yrs wit vd!!!! he is gonna be the s**t for us for sure

This for sure.
Originally posted by tohara3:

This for sure.

Yup yup
we surely stuck our necks out there picking vernon @ 6 then making him the highest paid tight end in the league, didnt look like it was going to pan out until he exploded last year, i really hope he evolves his game even further, for example i would like to see him catch with his hands more as opposed to trapping it against his body

This... Ngata would of been sweet though... dude is a beast!!!!