I agree that he has improved greatly in his ability to finish off runs.
FAR too many people in Niner Talk take Frank Gore for granted. He is easily the most significant and most talented player the 49ers have had in a long time (no disrespect to Willis, it's just that Frank arrived earlier and is on offense)
Why Frank Gore is tremendous
1. Has played entire career on two knees that have received major surgery
2. Has been the 49ers only true offensive threat since 2005 (until Vernon's emergence this year). Importance here is that he is all that defenses need to key in on.
3. Has had a very subpar offensive line throughout the years
4. Has had different offensive coordinators every season in the league (everyone loves to mention this in terms of Smith, but no one considers the other players it has affected).
5. Not only a great runner but a truly gifted receiver out of the backfield and a dynamite blocker.
6. Above all, Frank Gore is a class act through and through. No obnoxious attitude. No outrageous complaining, despite being jerked around in the offense on occasion. No off the field nonsense.
He's a team player in every sense of the word. As fans, we are really lucky to still have #21 wearing red and gold.
I cannot say enough about this guy, as evident per my rant above. Being 24, I associate Frank Gore with being the light in the 49ers age of darkness. The one bright spot and constant threat who has dedicated himself to this team and this game and done nothing but perform. Not since Jerry Rice have I appreciated a player more than Frank Gore.
If for no one else, us fans included, the 49ers need to make the postseason for Gore. He has paid his dues and despite all the turmoil during his tenure with SF, he has delivered year in and year out.
[ Edited by NinerPrideinNJ on Apr 6, 2010 at 00:39:00 ]