There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My Prediction for the 49ers' Offense in 2010

Just look at the 98-00 Kansas City Chiefs for a glimpse at what I think this offense will resemble in 2010. As has been mentioned previously, current 49ers Offensive Coordinator Jimmy Raye and new Offensive Line Coach Mike Solari have worked together in Kansas City. Here is an excerpt from Jimmy Raye's biography on 49ers.com.

Quote:
Raye spent eight years with Kansas City (1992-2000) in various coaching capacities. From 1998 to 2000, Raye served as the team’s offensive coordinator. Under his guidance in 2000, the Chiefs ranked eighth in the NFL in total offense (350.9 ypg) and fourth in passing (259.3 ypg). A year prior, Kansas City finished fourth in the NFL in rushing (130.1 ypg), tied for eighth in points scored (24.4 ppg) and ranked 12th in total offense (332.6 ypg). The 390 points marked the third-highest scoring output in team history and its most prolific in 32 years.

Here is an excerpt from Mike Solari's biography on 49ers.com.

Quote:
Following his initial stint with the 49ers, Solari spent nine seasons as the offensive line coach for Kansas City (1997-2005), three of which came under current 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye (1998-2000), who held the same position for the Chiefs at the time. With Solari directing the Kansas City offensive line, the team averaged 126.8 rushing yards per game, ranking fourth in the NFL during that time span.

Solari’s line produced a trio of Pro Bowl offensive linemen in 2004 and 2005, in guards Will Shields and Brian Waters, as well as tackle Willie Roaf. Kansas City became the first club to accomplish that feat since Dallas from 1993-96. As a result of his offensive line’s dominance, the Chiefs offense led the league in total offense in 2004 (franchise-record 418.4 ypg) and 2005 (387.0 ypg).

The Daly City, CA, native was later promoted by the Chiefs to offensive coordinator in 2006. During his 11-year tenure in Kansas City, the team finished in the top 10 in rushing on seven occasions, in the top five four times, and ranked 6th in the NFL in total offense (359.2 yards per game) over that span. Solari was one of just six assistant coaches in team history to record more than a decade of service with the franchise.

Here is a look at the Kansas City Chiefs' rosters and statistics from 1998-2000 under Jimmy Raye.

1998 Chiefs Roster and Statistics (Offense Rank: 14th/ Defense Rank: 22nd)
1999 Chiefs Roster and Statistics (Offense Rank: 8th/ Defense Rank: 13th)
2000 Chiefs Roster and Statistics (Offense Rank: 9th/ Defense Rank: 19th)

Looking at this made me realize how much better our 49ers could be compared to this team. These teams generally had bad defenses, where as our defense is much better. We could really have something here if our offense can pick it up like these Chiefs teams did under Jimmy Raye! All I'm saying is that there is a glimmer of hope for us to have success.

Comments/ Reactions?

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 2, 2010 at 15:03:55 ]
Wow, I applaud this post. Very good supports to what you say. I agree with what you say.
Not much to really compare, those teams have completely different types of players. I think comparing them is useless.
Selective stats.

If you look at the full breadth of the work that both coaches have accomplished, it's not necessarily as impressive.

I don't think our offense will be leaps and bounds improved, but I do think we can break into the top 15. I think playcalling will hold us back.

-9fA
There are a few bright, analytical posters on the WZ, and PTulini is one of these. Thanks for another quality presentation. While we can never predict with certainty results or outcomes, I respect intelligent efforts such as this to identify relationships and see similarities. Thanks PT.
I believe that Solary will solidify the oline along with our new RT taht we will get in the draft.

Since this is the first year of continuity for the offense in 5+ years we will see significant progress in our play making ability. I would see us raise up to a top 15 to top 10 offense simply on the base of continuity.

A. Smith will also improve as a QB because of the continuity. He will improve to a top 15 or higher QB.

Our scoring productivity will go up by at least 5 points a game due to the continuity, the better oline, the better passing and the more communication between Smith and his playmakers. There will be much less confusion, and chaos in the offense, and thus more consistent offense.

I don't think that SF be a top 5 offense because it will take another year for the oline to jell at its greatest potential, but I would say top 9-15 will be where our offense will go.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I believe that Solary will solidify the oline along with our new RT taht we will get in the draft.

Since this is the first year of continuity for the offense in 5+ years we will see significant progress in our play making ability. I would see us raise up to a top 15 to top 10 offense simply on the base of continuity.

A. Smith will also improve as a QB because of the continuity. He will improve to a top 15 or higher QB.

Our scoring productivity will go up by at least 5 points a game due to the continuity, the better oline, the better passing and the more communication between Smith and his playmakers. There will be much less confusion, and chaos in the offense, and thus more consistent offense.

I don't think that SF be a top 5 offense because it will take another year for the oline to jell at its greatest potential, but I would say top 9-15 will be where our offense will go.

That is right in line with what these KC Chiefs teams were able to do on offense. But what I think makes us better is our defense.

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 2, 2010 at 14:45:43 ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Not much to really compare, those teams have completely different types of players. I think comparing them is useless.

He's just just talking offense.

They had arguably the best TE in the game, We have arguably the best TE in the league
They had a stud at RB, We have a stud at RB
The had a good numher one receiver, we have (at very least) a good number one receiver.

We still need the QB and line play.

The comparison is valid.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

That is right in line with what these KC Chiefs teams were able to do on offense. But what I think makes us better is our defense.

I think if we get a realistically quality draft - meaning 3 starters - improved oline play, and improved QB play we will be in the playoffs. Once in the playoffs we have a punchers chance of making some headway. Once in the playoffs I would predict taht 2011 would be our year for realistic SB contention.
Good post!!!
Originally posted by Antix:

They had arguably the best TE in the game, We have arguably the best TE in the league
The had a good numher one receiver, we have (at very least) a good number one receiver.

The comparison is valid.

i think its a VERY good comparison, personally
Good and interesting post. The fly in the ponutment is the calibre of defenses KC payed against and schedules.

However, it does show me that the formula can work.
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Wow, I applaud this post. Very good supports to what you say. I agree with what you say.

This I agree with very much!
Originally posted by Antix:

The comparison is valid.

I dont think its valid until we field an OL that can run or pass block. KC had a insane OL because of a highly talented group at their enitre OL. Right now we dont have any OT close to Roaf or any OG that compares to Waters. Plus they also had some good consistent QB play id take Gannon or Green over Smith any day. Another key issue we cant compare yet that holds back a any valid comparison. Im just gonna wait to results before I compare us to any other team.
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.