There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Prospecting the 2010 Offensive Line

I've read a couple of places, particularly Maiocco's Live Chat transcripts that stats the 49ers will be reluctant to have 2 rookies start for them. Although this theory might be sound, I'm constantly reminded that Baas has yet to sign his tender but did acquire a waiver from the team to work out according to Barrows.

It's almost assured the team will draft a OT, but we're still in a predicament with the possibility of starting a Sims at RT being backed up by Snyder. Possibility of complete re-arrangement of the OL? Small.

Most probable outcomes :

1) The team certainly isn't sold on Baas and aren't rushing his status and he remains in his current position.

2) Chester Pitts is signed and replaces either Rachal or Baas which makes Wragge the odd man out.

3) The team drafts another OG and depending on TC starts him on the OL; this would almost certainly mean either Wragge or Baas becomes expendable depending on where we draft the player.

4) Snyder returns to playing OG, Sims plays at RT depending on how the RT performs in TC, and this would almost certainly end Baas and Wragge's career with the club.

What are people thinking?

It's quite possible that both Wragge and Baas are let go and the team develops Rachal and Wallace...
I don't care how they mix it up as long as they protect the damn QB, and make holes for Gore. We need to set this sh!t up already for the next decade.
I think we dump Wragge and Walace.

Move Baas to backup C

Draft a RT and start him

Draft a LOG and try to start him...if not the Baas starts

If we can get...

Staley-Rookie-Heitman-Chilo-Rookie

All functioning properly, that leaves Baas as stated #2C & #2OG, Sims as the primary OT backup, and Snyder inactive on game day.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tondiman:
I don't care how they mix it up as long as they protect the damn QB, and make holes for Gore. We need to set this sh!t up already for the next decade.

+1
Baas is just not getting it done for whatever reason -- injuries, motivation, ??. Wragge is a capable backup. We need an upgrade at LG from the draft or free agency. I think Rachal will be a beast, he needs more experience. RT is a must-have from the draft.

Staley - Baas/newbie - Heitmann - Rachal/Snyder/Wragge - Sims/T.Williams or Bulaga or A.Davis or C. Brown
So this is interesting and fresh off the Maiocco press:

--The 49ers enter the draft with an open mind, as far as drafting offensive tackles. Baalke said the versatility of Joe Staley makes it possible for the 49ers to get a left or right tackle in the draft and then decide what makes the 49ers' offensive line stronger.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/baalke-comfortable-with-49ers-qbs-and-not-interested-in-pacman.html#fb
This is the line that i want to go into the season with(fingers crossed)

starters->J.Staley---M.Iupati---E.Heitmann---C.Rachal---T.Williams

backups-->B.Sims---T.Wragge---C.Wallace----T.Wragge---A.Snyder?????
Member Milestone: This is post number 400 for YouGotGored.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Baas is just not getting it done for whatever reason -- injuries, motivation, ??. Wragge is a capable backup. We need an upgrade at LG from the draft or free agency. I think Rachal will be a beast, he needs more experience. RT is a must-have from the draft.

Staley - Baas/newbie - Heitmann - Rachal/Snyder/Wragge - Sims/T.Williams or Bulaga or A.Davis or C. Brown

If Heitmann goes down we are F*****. Seriously, he is our best lineman and we have no capable backup. Wallace/Baas suck. Can Wragge play center?
Hope we get this o-line taken care of in the draft!
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
This is the line that i want to go into the season with(fingers crossed)

starters->J.Staley---M.Iupati---E.Heitmann---C.Rachal---T.Williams

backups-->B.Sims---T.Wragge---C.Wallace----T.Wragge---A.Snyder?????

[ Edited by Norcal9erfan on Mar 31, 2010 at 08:30:54 ]
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Originally posted by rapid4:

If Heitmann goes down we are F*****. Seriously, he is our best lineman and we have no capable backup. Wallace/Baas suck. Can Wragge play center?

Wragge can play center.

And to all of you who keep saying make baas out backup center, This isnt madden!
he cant just start playing center after 5 seasons of playing guard, he hasnt played center since college.
I think with Mike Solari in charge we're in for some MAJOR surprises throughout training camp.

Solari is going to work a lot of people in and out of the lineup/system (taking evaluations and testing the gears), the 'RT' situation looks obvious with us drafting a first rounder (and Staley has stated through his twitter that he wants to stay on the left side), but don't be surprised if neither Rachel or Baas are starters going into pre-season. -I prospect the idea of Cody Wallace being converted/moved to LG for some reason (since he's a nimble 'in-line' blocker within physical standards).

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 26, 2010 at 17:00:41 ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I think with Mike Solari in charge we're in for some MAJOR surprises throughout training camp.

Solari is going to work a lot of people in and out of the lineup/system (taking evaluations and testing the gears), the 'RT' situation looks obvious with us drafting a first rounder (and Staley has stated through his twitter that he wants to stay on the left side), but don't be surprised if neither Rachel or Baas are starters going into pre-season. -I prospect the idea of Cody Wallace being converted/moved to LG for some reason (since he's a nimble 'in-line' blocker within physical standards).

That's a good point! Many said coming from Texas he wasn't strong enough for the pros. I thought that was really interesting. You're right though. Maybe Wallace is the surprise.

Above:

I really doubt we end up with both Trent Williams and Iupati.
I agree - both Trent Williams and Iupati is unlikely. Although the McC philosophy of not paying guards really got annoying, you have to admit that 3 first round picks on the OL would be a lot of money tied up there. Although an uncapped year would be the time to do it.

[ Edited by HearstFan on Mar 26, 2010 at 19:51:25 ]
Originally posted by tondiman: