There are 326 users in the forums

m barrows on mckillop...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
And, Brandon Williams.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rapid4:
And, Brandon Williams.

He was a WR in college and drafted to be a WR in the NFL. Just didn't work out.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
And, Brandon Williams.

Yes, a wasted pick but not a project.
Originally posted by crabman82:
nothing bugs me more with this team than when we draft a mid round position then the next year we do it again at the same position cus we are unsure of the player we took the previous year, i just see it as a huge flaw in our drafting, guys like gore goldson and haralson have worked, hopefully more come in the future

I agree 100% man. We do tend to do this a lot. More examples: Curtis Taylor and Reggie Smith. We drafted these guys because we thought they had talent. Now people are saying that we should upgrade the safety position. I personally like our safties. Goldson is up and coming and should really be good for us this year with another year in the same system. And Mike Lewis is a 100+ tackle safety for us too, and he's better in coverage and speed than people think. (vs. CHI this year and runnin down Urban, WR for the Cards) I think we should give Taylor and Smith opportunities before we go out and draft guys. McKillop is a 5th rd LB that was never known for his speed or physicality anyway. He was an overachiever for PITT, which isn't a knock on him at all. Like, someone said before, if he ends up being a Jeff Ulbrich type guy for us, then I'm happy.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
And, Brandon Williams.

We thought we were gonna get a solid WR with return skills. Just didn't pan out. Hardly a wasted pick
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Another McCloughan reach/wasted pick [see, Wallace, Coffee, Brandon williams, and all the qbs he tried to turn into WRs]

How many QB's did we draft that we tried to convert to WR ? Last I counted it was 1.

Going into last year's draft we lacked depth at ILB and we took a guy who was picked where the consensus said he would likely go. Yeah that seems wasted

Throwing 2 players under the bus by calling them wasted after 1 year.

This post being well thought out and chalk full of logic.

Yes, Mckillop is a reach if not a waste -- picked as a LB, but just a special teamer. Coffee was not picked where the consensus said he would likely go -- we picked him a lot higher. QB to WR -- Marshall, Battle, plus Mrob - qb to rb. Wallace was a wasted pick -- he's played about one series in two years.

Battle wasn't picked by the Nolan/Scott regime.

MRob played QB, RB and WR at Penn State so it's not like hadn't had prior experience there.

McKillop is a 5th round pick with one year....ONE YEAR under his belt. What did you expect out of him ?
  • evil
  • Veteran
And, Brandon Williams.

Yeah because no other teams draft players that don't work out ALL THE TIME.

Why don't you go compare the drafts we have had from 2005-2008 to those of the Ravens or Eagles and get back to me on how many WASTED picks each had.
And, Brandon Williams.

We thought we were gonna get a solid WR with return skills. Just didn't pan out. Hardly a wasted pick

Well if the guy doesn't pan out then it's a wasted pick.
Originally posted by KRS-1McKillop is a 5th round pick with one year....ONE YEAR under his belt. What did you expect out of him ? [neutral:

We expected to get a LB. According to MB, the team now views him as a special teamer only because he doesn't take on the blockers. The point of MB's report is not that Mckillop is too raw, but that he doesn't have the right skills.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1McKillop is a 5th round pick with one year....ONE YEAR under his belt. What did you expect out of him ? [neutral:

We expected to get a LB. According to MB, the team now views him as a special teamer only because he doesn't take on the blockers. The point of MB's report is not that Mckillop is too raw, but that he doesn't have the right skills.

Quote:
The 49ers are looking at Ayodele as a back up for Takeo Spikes, 33, at "Ted" linebacker, and they are presumably looking at rookies (at least Chaney and Rey) for the same role. Why would they do so, you might ask, when they drafted Scott McKillop for that same role in the fifth round last year? The reason is that the coaching staff has doubts about McKillop and doesn't trust him as Spikes' primary backup. Mike Singletary has a very specific idea for how his inside linebackers should perform, and McKillop didn't meet those expectations last season. Singletary wants his linebackers to take on blockers and slam into offensive lineman. McKillop's instinct was to slip those blocks and go after the football.

What's more, McKillop didn't adapt during the season. When Spikes went down with a hamstring injury against Chicago Nov. 12, McKillop immediately went into the game to replace him. But when the defense came out the following series, off-the-street veteran Matt Wilhelm was in the game and Wilhelm served as Spikes' primary backup for the rest of the season. McKillop was limited to special teams, where he played well. But that is not what the 49ers expected when they drafted him.

Where does it say he is now viewed as a ST'er only ? Where does it say they have given up on trying to further develop him ? It's also possible he could be moved to the backup MIKE spot as opposed to trying to make him the primary backup TED.

Originally posted by KRS-1:

Quote:
The 49ers are looking at Ayodele as a back up for Takeo Spikes, 33, at "Ted" linebacker, and they are presumably looking at rookies (at least Chaney and Rey) for the same role. Why would they do so, you might ask, when they drafted Scott McKillop for that same role in the fifth round last year? The reason is that the coaching staff has doubts about McKillop and doesn't trust him as Spikes' primary backup. Mike Singletary has a very specific idea for how his inside linebackers should perform, and McKillop didn't meet those expectations last season. Singletary wants his linebackers to take on blockers and slam into offensive lineman. McKillop's instinct was to slip those blocks and go after the football.

What's more, McKillop didn't adapt during the season. When Spikes went down with a hamstring injury against Chicago Nov. 12, McKillop immediately went into the game to replace him. But when the defense came out the following series, off-the-street veteran Matt Wilhelm was in the game and Wilhelm served as Spikes' primary backup for the rest of the season. McKillop was limited to special teams, where he played well. But that is not what the 49ers expected when they drafted him.

Where does it say he is now viewed as a ST'er only ? Where does it say they have given up on trying to further develop him ? It's also possible he could be moved to the backup MIKE spot as opposed to trying to make him the primary backup TED.

That's what I got out of it. He isn't suited to back up TKO b/c he didn't do his job and take on blockers Instead he tries to shed them and make the play thus making him a replacement for Willis and not TKO like they previously thought.
Originally posted by KRS-1 McKillop was limited to special teams, where he played well. But that is not what the 49ers expected when they drafted him.[/quote:

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1 McKillop was limited to special teams, where he played well. But that is not what the 49ers expected when they drafted him.[/quote:

READING COMPREHENSION FAIL.
Originally posted by niners4life:
I was hoping we would have drafted Jasper Brinkley

I wanted Brinkley as well.

McKillop could end up a career special teams player. The same goes of MROB.

With some of the draft picks this team had the last decade makes me want to
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by niners4life:
I was hoping we would have drafted Jasper Brinkley

I wanted Brinkley as well.

McKillop could end up a career special teams player. The same goes of MROB.

With some of the draft picks this team had the last decade makes me want to

There is no telling if Brinkley would have had more success than McKillop did considering Brinkley played in a 4-3 last year.
Share 49ersWebzone